Slow footballers who were good with us.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slow players seem to create their own space as opponents don’t dive in at them so as not to look daft when falling onto their arse when said player just nudges the ball past them and keeps possession. Especially midfielders.

Currie, Bowles, Marsh, Worthington were hardly fast but always appeared to have time on the ball.

A player from the 80’s for me to illustrate this would be Jan Molby at Liverpool - very slow but always seemed to have ages on the ball.

Michael Tonge.

James Beattie has been mentioned. I think there was an away match at Boro when Beattie made lung busting run back to make a slide tackle in our area.

Would be easier naming the fast ones and getting them out the way then we are left with the other 95% 😁

We have had some snails over the years but off top of my head I can’t think of anyone slower than James Hanson.

You’ve just got PTSD from watching Oli Burke, not all fast players are shit at actually playing football.
Most are though, it's one of those things where for every fast player who was good technically you could name 100 who weren't.
Football is a game of quick thinking, quick decisions, footballing brains and movement, A slow player with all of those attributes will look much quicker in all the areas that matter than a crap player who is faster.

I remember Emily Hughes winning the 100 metres on superstars (showing my age😂) despite looking slow on a football pitch.

It's a different sort of speed required.
I guy I worked with a few years ago used to play 5-a-side with Gerry Taggart and he said the same thing. To us watching from the side lines we would class him as slow and cumbersome, but in the flesh against mere mortals the difference in speed and agility was night and day.

Michael Tonge.

James Beattie has been mentioned. I think there was an away match at Boro when Beattie made lung busting run back to make a slide tackle in our area.
I think Beattie was faster than he often showed. He just knew where he needed to be to score goals.

Seem to remember David Holdsworth was quite slow but read the game well.

Has McBurnie been mentioned yet?!

Can't believe it's page 3 and no one has mentioned the most notable slow player to play for us in my era anyway! Sir Alan Cork! Had a cracking career and whilst he was limited by the time he was with us he did a job.

I remember Emily Hughes winning the 100 metres on superstars (showing my age😂) despite looking slow on a football pitch.

It's a different sort of speed required.
I Thought Brian Jacks always won

I'm not sure if Jake Wright was slow or like McGrath just didn't have legs capable of running but his positioning always made up for any lack of pace.

Of all the performances from a Blades player that I’ve ever witnessed , some of those produced by Jake Wright were the the most surprisingly impressive .

He came to us as someone with no pedigree other than that of a bang average lower league defender , but went on to turn out any number of performances of which many much more highly rated players would have been proud .

It is no exaggeration on my part to say that at times , his reading of the game and the timing and effectiveness of his tackles almost matched those of our greatest ever exponents of these abilities , namely Paul McGrath and my hero .

Can't believe it's page 3 and no one has mentioned the most notable slow player to play for us in my era anyway! Sir Alan Cork! Had a cracking career and whilst he was limited by the time he was with us he did a job.
Mentioned on page one... 😉

If the title of the thread is altered slightly to ‘slow players who were very shite for us’ I would put forward our old friend Michael Higdon as a suggestion

Last edited:

Paul Coutts & Leon clarke had a very leisurely tempo.

Back
Top Bottom