Slow footballers who were good with us.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Who was that striker who moved from Coventry to us, 90's early 2000's black hair mullet type didnt look like a striker at all, bit of a tyre round the middle but could really score goals cant for life of me think who it was. Mickey somebody maybe.

Ignore me I`m completely wrong I was thinking of Micky Quinn and he never played for us. However he was slow and had a mullet. 🤣

Blimey just googled and he still does the After Dinner Speaker circuit and gets £2000!

Last edited:
Quick minds, vision, ball control, a footballing brain, and a natural technical ability.
You can walk around a pitch if you have all those things.
Shame we'll never see one again, it just wouldn't fit the profile

Pace is probably the least useful attribute to have on a football pitch, very few fast players have any of the above, they're more likely to be unable to control a ball, more likely to have zero vision and more likely to have zero technical ability, they just knock it past a defender and run, then put their cross or pass into row Z because they're legs are moving faster than their brains.

Quick minds, vision, ball control, a footballing brain, and a natural technical ability.

Pace is probably the least useful attribute to have on a football pitch, very few fast players have any of the above, they're more likely to be unable to control a ball, more likely to have zero vision and more likely to have zero technical ability, they just knock it past a defender and run, then put their cross or pass into row Z because they're legs are moving faster than their brains.
Oli burke springs to mind.

Cec Coldwell .

Two yards slower than treacle and always looked clumsy with the ball at his feet but a highly effective and reliable defender nonetheless .

This being mainly due to the fact that he the good sense to almost always keep goal side of his opponent and make himself very difficult to get past with well timed blocks and tackles .

This is an art which often seems to be overlooked in the modern game , something that drives me to distraction when I see defenders getting the wrong side of the player they are supposed to be marking leaving other defenders horribly exposed and / or chasing after and bringing them down resulting in a yellow card and free kick in a dangerous area .

We have more players in our current squad who are defective in this respect than any of the previous ones I have ever watched , something which in my view can and should be coached out of them .

Technically I remember that sharp was one of the quickest players in the squad. But that was over 30-40m.

His acceleration to that speed wasn't and has never been that quick which is usually what's important in football.
Need to be quicker over a 10-15 metre dash to a ball. Not 100 metres.
I remember Emily Hughes winning the 100 metres on superstars (showing my age😂) despite looking slow on a football pitch.

It's a different sort of speed required.

You’ve just got PTSD from watching Oli Burke, not all fast players are shit at actually playing football.

The great players can compensate for their physical slowness, by being quick between the ears.

Was mcgoldrick slow? I know he wasn’t rapid but wouldn’t describe him as slow.

Glynn hodges for me all day long. Looked like he could hardly move but what a wand of a left foot

Back
Top Bottom