Slav updates

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

he’s no chris wilder in front of the media i can tell you that
Pretty rude that Chris is a blade and is passionate but towards the end of his tenure he was getting same old boring .
Slav is totally fresh a very good manager sadly the u item way I see some fans not prepared to give him time .

In the interview to me sounds throughly fed up these signings should have been sorted out excuse at all all this speculation will upset morale the players etc.

Pretty rude that Chris is a blade and is passionate but towards the end of his tenure he was getting same old boring .
Slav is totally fresh a very good manager sadly the u item way I see some fans not prepared to give him time .

In the interview to me sounds throughly fed up these signings should have been sorted out excuse at all all this speculation will upset morale the players etc.
I agree, Wilder's interviews were boring - he did go on a bit, and was often quite aggressive and rude.
But all the players and managers, even the English ones don't really tell us that much. It's all trained nonsense - maybe Slav's poor English just highlights the fluff that football interviews have become.
"So you scored a goal, I bet that was nice?"
"No, yeah, it was great"
"How is the injury, is it bad?"
"No, yeah, no it's fine"
"Swansea next, that will be a challenge."
"No, yeah, a great team, we will definitely be up for it"
"Training tomorrow, is the boss changing tactics?"
"No, yeah, we are doing great."

Sometimes depends on the interviewer to engage get a relationship and to be fair the Rs boys are getting to know Slav
His English isn't the best but at least he learned the lingo . Bielsa speaks Through a interpreter

I agree, Wilder's interviews were boring - he did go on a bit, and was often quite aggressive and rude.
But all the players and managers, even the English ones don't really tell us that much. It's all trained nonsense - maybe Slav's poor English just highlights the fluff that football interviews have become.
"So you scored a goal, I bet that was nice?"
"No, yeah, it was great"
"How is the injury, is it bad?"
"No, yeah, no it's fine"
"Swansea next, that will be a challenge."
"No, yeah, a great team, we will definitely be up for it"
"Training tomorrow, is the boss changing tactics?"
"No, yeah, we are doing great."

Managers whose interviews I found...

interesting:

Bassett
Warnock
Clough
Wilder (successful period)

strange:

Blackwell
Wilder (last season)
Adkins
Morgan and Ellis

uncomfortable:

Robson
SJ
Adams
David Weir

nice and articulate, if not always interesting:

Wilson
Heckingbottom

Managers whose interviews I found...

interesting:

Bassett
Warnock
Clough
Wilder (successful period)

strange:

Blackwell
Wilder (last season)
Adkins
Morgan and Ellis

uncomfortable:

Robson
SJ
Adams
David Weir

nice and articulate, if not always interesting:

Wilson
Heckingbottom
The best was John Harris. He never gave one.

I think he once commented to The Star that after the team had run up and down Padley Gorge in preparation for a 6th round cup tie with Arsenal, he had taken the lads to The Maynard for steak and eggs washed down with non alcoholic ginger beer.

If we wanted someone whose sole aim was to be in front of the camera and centre of attention, then we should have hired James Cordon!

All I'd like to know is who is fit and are we signing anyone and are we heading in the right direction.

I liked Chris, but the chit chat and banter only goes so far when you're getting beat every week. I'd much rather focus be on finding new ways to be a success than on giving a shit whether Per from Skandinavia calls us Sheffield or otherwise.

I'd actually rather hear 4 minutes of valuable information in slightly patchy English than 9 minutes of talking bollocks. Most of us have got better things to do!

Maybe he is under the illusion that professional footballers are highly motivated individuals who understand basic football, maybe he thinks they are individuals that don't need bollockings every two minutes to make them do simple tasks that should come naturally to a professional footballer.

Maybe there's a reason why Warnock, Bassett and Wilder are the only decent managers we've had for the last 40 years.

The screaming, shouting, constant motivational skills and arse kicking to make poor players do a basic job, maybe, is as good as it gets for us because we'll never have an intelligent footballer on the books
Gentlemen John Harris could throw a death stare but no one could take it seriously due to him wearing a proper shirt & tie + then going all 'cuddly Grandad' by putting a home-knitted cardigan on top.
Mind you , after he signed Tony Currie for 10 bob + formed the 70/71 promotion team , he never really needed his death stare , they were just a brilliant bunch.
My guess is that Eddie Colquhoun acted as his quiet enforcer whenever TC & Badge needed dragging out of the Penny Farthing or Woody needed dragging out of a Lane office girl.

I don't think they did radio interviews in those days ...
In fact I don't think they had radios.
And even if they did , Gentleman John would have banned his players from owning or even listening to one.
In August 1970 he ensured they had nothing in their heads for the following 9 months apart from winning promotion.
Would be great if SJ could engineer that level of single-minded application !

In essence, baring uncomfortable points last season, we have gone from a passionate Blade, who spoke for our love of the club, and was honest, articulate and entertaining;

To a manager whom we're yet to bond to and whose first language isn't English. It makes for a much harder listen.

Again, I don't say it out of any offence but I'm less likely to tune in. For no other reason than I find it a hard listen, as fantastic as it is that he is learning the language. I'll wait to read the jist of what's been said. Will that lead to a sense of being slightly less connected to the club, via not listening to the manager's take first-hand on a regular basis? Maybe marginally.

Back
Top Bottom