Singing sections

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It is something which I believe would be of great benefit to the club on a number of levels and is something I know there is a desire for amongst some united fans given the current problems with atmosphere at home games.

There is no reason why a section of the Kop couldn't be designated as a singing section. We have a family section and a prawn sandwich section so why not something for those who want to sing.

Also going back to the question of standing - don't fans in the BLLT usually stand - at least if they bring a decent following?

"Also going back to the question of standing - don't fans in the BLLT usually stand - at least if they bring a decent following?"[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do tend to - but that is partly because the BLLT is seats crammed onto a terrace made for standing, so there isn't really the leg room to sit down in any kind of comfort. If it's half-empty you can put your knees, or even your feet, over the seat in front, but if it's full it's pretty hopeless, so people tend to stand.

Bramall Lane stewards seem pretty consistent in allowing people to stand as long as they aren't blocking the view of anyone else - and that applies in both home and away ends. This is in contrast to many clubs, where home fans are allowed to stand but away fans are not.

Workingtonblade,

I know for a fact that many stewards at away grounds are happy for away supporters to do as they wish(stand/sit) until they recieve complaints - so it's not the stewards doing it because they are a jobsworth but because a fellow fan has reported one of their own which is disappointing but not suprising given how divided the away support is.

That's not going to get anywhere though, you can't go to the club asking for a standing section but many others promote support sections either directly or just cooperate with them and hasn't been ruled out to my knowledge by SUFC.

Last night I was on the Stretford End to watch MU do to West Ham what they should have done a couple of seasons ago. The singing on the Stretford End was pretty much non stop (but a bit repetetive at times) and the atmosphere was great. Also, I was in the upper part of the Stretford End and it was standing all game. As much as I dislike MU ( I go along because I have a night out with a mate) I have to say that I really enjoyed the atmosphere. The chants aimed at the Glazers also brought a smile to my face.

I remember when the Kop was similar and miss it. Having experienced how enjoyable it was last night and how much it adds to the match I've actually come around to the idea of 'singing sections' at the Lane. If you don't want to sing and stand go elsewhere. But if you want to sing and stand you have somewhere to go. We need to do something because the atmosphere at the Lane is dire even on the Kop. Maybe we could even have cheaper tickets for this section as you would be providing atmosphere ;)

How many on this forum would sign up for the singing section? And not just for the cheaper tickets.
I went to the Man Utd game on Tuesday night too as a mate knew someone with spare tickets. We were on the East Stand it was still a good atmosphere over there.

Not sure about the idea of actualy singing sections though. Seems a little too forced for my liking.

.....because a fellow fan has reported one of their own which is disappointing.....

Why? If you are sitting in a seat that you have paid for, and the bloke in front is constantly standing up, blocking your view, and telling you to "jeff off" when you politely ask him to sit down then why shouldn't you ask a steward to do their job? There are many people who prefer to sit down for the majority of the match. Why shouldn't they? You can still sing sat down.

Some people sit down because they want to, others because they have to. If the Kop went back to standing I'd sit in one of the side stands, mainly because an old back injury makes it painful to stand for the length of a match.

Workingtonblade,

I know for a fact that many stewards at away grounds are happy for away supporters to do as they wish(stand/sit) until they recieve complaints - so it's not the stewards doing it because they are a jobsworth but because a fellow fan has reported one of their own which is disappointing but not suprising given how divided the away support is.

That's not going to get anywhere though, you can't go to the club asking for a standing section but many others promote support sections either directly or just cooperate with them and hasn't been ruled out to my knowledge by SUFC.

It's certainly true that many stewards at away ground are happy to allow away supporters to stand (those at Watford for example). It's also true that many aren't (such as those at Ipswich, where standing is not allowed even on the back row, while thousands stand elsewhere in the ground). I never suggested those stewards are jobsworths though. They will be working to instructions.

As regards complaints from other Blades fans - true, that is a factor at times, but not always. At some grounds its clear the stewards are to take a 'no standing' approach from the start, and it's the same at those grounds every year. There are a number of grounds I don't bother going to for that reason. No standing = no atmosphere = no fun.

I used to agree with S64 that singing sections were 'too forced' but I've changed my mind over time. Ideally i'd like spontaneous singing all around the ground, but in recent years it's become clear that isn't going to happen, and singing sections are the next best thing - simply putting together people who wish to enjoy their football in the same way.

Why? If you are sitting in a seat that you have paid for, and the bloke in front is constantly standing up, blocking your view, and telling you to "jeff off" when you politely ask him to sit down then why shouldn't you ask a steward to do their job? There are many people who prefer to sit down for the majority of the match. Why shouldn't they? You can still sing sat down.

Some people sit down because they want to, others because they have to. If the Kop went back to standing I'd sit in one of the side stands, mainly because an old back injury makes it painful to stand for the length of a match.

I agree entirely - you have every right to sit down, and expect to get a clear view.

With the back third of the Kop as a 'singing section', you could sit anywhere in the front two-thirds of the Kop and feel much more confident that the person who used to stand in front of you has cleared off to join like-minded people elsewhere. One of the biggest benefits of 'singing sections' is for those who don't wish to be in them.

Singing sections my arse! What would happen then if you dared to sing in a non singing section? It would give some sad twat the excuse to moan at you. Standing sections sound a good idea and one I would welcome. Perhaps there would be the same complaints if you dared to stand in a sitting area!

I think the reason the club wouldn't be in favour of this idea at the moment is because of the implied correlation between singing and standing. They aren't going to want lots of people grouped together who think they can stand up because they're in the "singing section" because of a crowd control issue. I'd hazard a guess that if they did trial it, the section would be more heavily stewarded than anywhere else.

As I have said time and time again, I'm not against standing and would welcome a standing section. But United aren't the right people to lobby for this. Getting people to sit down isn't "spoiling the fun". Stewards and the clubs are just abiding by the rules passed down on them from above.

So calling a steward a "wanker", chinning the odd copper or writing demands to the club isn't really a protest that's going to get you anywhere.

Nobody wants a standing section.

A designated section isn't forced because nobody is forcing anything upon anyone.

The club have not ruled out the idea and we have had positive response from the club and

"accept however, that perhaps more could be done and we will have a fresh look at how we engage with the supporters and examine better ways to generate a more impassioned atmosphere"

"The Club will look at this issue in some detail."

Does anyone seriously think that standing at football grounds will ever return? Not a chance.

I 'sing' loud and long from my seated position. It can't be denied, though, that the appalling standard and style of play this season stifles all but the most dedicated crooners.

I don't think standing areas will be re-introduced in England but what is taking off is designated singing sections to try and improve atmosphere no matter how the team is performing.

However as proven in the Bundesliga standing areas in large stadiums really aren't a problem.

Nobody wants a standing section.

A designated section isn't forced because nobody is forcing anything upon anyone.

The club have not ruled out the idea and we have had positive response from the club and

"accept however, that perhaps more could be done and we will have a fresh look at how we engage with the supporters and examine better ways to generate a more impassioned atmosphere"

"The Club will look at this issue in some detail."
All credit to you for trying. I hope you succeed. I shall join in enthusiastically from my 'non-singing' seat.

You express yourself well. Do you not find the Teenage Illiterate Lager-Drinkers site an embarrassment?

Like doing a kareoke version of the greasy chip butty to ensure we look as embarrasing as possible. Still, might allow a few people to learn the words I guess. :rolleyes:

Like doing a kareoke version of the greasy chip butty to ensure we look as embarrasing as possible. Still, might allow a few people to learn the words I guess. :rolleyes:

Blade in Thatcham and I did the greasy chip buttie on the karaoke in a random bar in Bristol (very pissed at about 8pm) after Darius' hat trick earier this season!? Great moments, but the locals weren't very impressed. Did we embaress ourselves? Oh yes sir!

Blade in Thatcham and I did the greasy chip buttie on the karaoke in a random bar in Bristol (very pissed at about 8pm) after Darius' hat trick earier this season!? Great moments, but the locals weren't very impressed. Did we embaress ourselves? Oh yes sir!

That's different and slightly less embarrasing than being led by the speakers and big screen at a football match :D

In fairness, the Greasy Chip Buttie song was never intended to be at the same tempo as the 'Annie's Song' original. It's always been faster. This has probably worked out for the best, because it means only the first few bars of the song can be played to start the song, as opposed to at some other grounds where entire songs are played for the fans to sing along to (far more embarrassing in my opinion). It also means that the karaoke thing doesn't work. It's timed in line with Annies Song, so it drops behind the Greasy Chip Buttie song.

Anyway, back on the point - it's good to see GC88 and co communicating with the club to try to develop this idea. I think it will get plenty of support, and it's difficult to see who would really oppose it because while some might not like the concept on principle, it doesn't really disadvantage anyone.

I thought the Karaoke GCB on the screen was an embarassment - a joke! Shame on anyone's dad who didn't teach 'em the words!

Back
Top Bottom