Singing sections

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Last night I was on the Stretford End to watch MU do to West Ham what they should have done a couple of seasons ago. The singing on the Stretford End was pretty much non stop (but a bit repetetive at times) and the atmosphere was great. Also, I was in the upper part of the Stretford End and it was standing all game. As much as I dislike MU ( I go along because I have a night out with a mate) I have to say that I really enjoyed the atmosphere. The chants aimed at the Glazers also brought a smile to my face.

I remember when the Kop was similar and miss it. Having experienced how enjoyable it was last night and how much it adds to the match I've actually come around to the idea of 'singing sections' at the Lane. If you don't want to sing and stand go elsewhere. But if you want to sing and stand you have somewhere to go. We need to do something because the atmosphere at the Lane is dire even on the Kop. Maybe we could even have cheaper tickets for this section as you would be providing atmosphere ;)

How many on this forum would sign up for the singing section? And not just for the cheaper tickets.

Slight problem, United would never explicitly allow nor encourage anyone to stand.

They'd lose their safety certificate.

But a singing section doesn't explicitly encourage people to stand. It encourages people to sing. Other clubs do it, so it's clearly possible. I'm all for it.

Obviously they'd never explicitly allow it but every time I've been on the Stretford End they stand and nothing is ever done about it. The club are never fined for it and I wonder if it doesn't also happen at some of the bigger stadiums. It certainly happens at the back of the Kop every game.

But a singing section doesn't explicitly encourage people to stand. It encourages people to sing. Other clubs do it, so it's clearly possible. I'm all for it.

No, but WW advocated it as a "place to stand and a place to sing". I'm saying the former isn't going to happen without a change in English ground regulations.

No issue with a singing section whatsoever... but the club would be watching for the morons though.

I've never really got the point in a section, other than people separating themselves as something different to others.

If people want to sing, then why not sing? theres nothing whatsoever stopping anyone singing in any part of the ground, whether or not its designated.

We have a singing section, its called Bramall lane Football ground. If you want to separate and put anyone that wants to sing into one area thats the best place to do it

The problem is many people are too embarrassed to start singing when all around them are sitting in silence. The singing on the Kop takes place in small pockets where people who want to sing choose to stand. If you dispersed these people throughout the whole ground it would become a morgue.

Apart from the Stretford End Old Trafford is like a morgue but those fans who want atmosphere choose to go on the Stretford End. And they're not all nutters. One guy in front of me last night is one of the business men trying to get toghether the fans' takeover of the club. There were also a number of blokes over sixty who were belting it out. I'm pretty sure that if they were anywhere else in the ground they have been sitting down quietly.

I don't actually think singing sections will happen. I guess I just miss the atmosphere at the moment.

The problem is many people are too embarrassed to start singing when all around them are sitting in silence. The singing on the Kop takes place in small pockets where people who want to sing choose to stand. If you dispersed these people throughout the whole ground it would become a morgue.

Apart from the Stretford End Old Trafford is like a morgue but those fans who want atmosphere choose to go on the Stretford End. And they're not all nutters. One guy in front of me last night is one of the business men trying to get toghether the fans' takeover of the club. There were also a number of blokes over sixty who were belting it out. I'm pretty sure that if they were anywhere else in the ground they have been sitting down quietly.

I don't actually think singing sections will happen. I guess I just miss the atmosphere at the moment.

I sit on the Kop and sing no matter who's around me.

If people around me were tutting if I started singing then i'd be worried, but i've never heard anyone shushing people.

fookin hell............ we've nowt to sing about !

when cheap as chips an McCabe fook off i'll be singing ...... cherio cherio cherio as loud as i fookin can :eek:

It's dead at the minute. The last singing section was "H-Block" and apart from a few unsavoury OTT moments it was outstanding in there.

Christ though, the sanitised atmosphere in English grounds, no wonder the average age of those attending football grounds is so high.

This is in France for chuff's sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHfKKD9lqFY&feature=related

Now that's atmosphere.

Swiss - I think you're in a minority that sing alone (not that it's a bad thing) but I'm sure that if there were a small group around you singing then this would generate more 'singers' instead of those sitting around you at the moment thinking 'here goes the nutter again' ;)

Swiss - I think you're in a minority that sing alone (not that it's a bad thing) but I'm sure that if there were a small group around you singing then this would generate more 'singers' instead of those sitting around you at the moment thinking 'here goes the nutter again' ;)

Ha ha I don't sing alone at the lane... I'm just saying I'd sing no matter what.

The back of the Kop tend to start most of the songs, but occasionaly a few lads around us start the odd chant off from row AA

It's dead at the minute. The last singing section was "H-Block" and apart from a few unsavoury OTT moments it was outstanding in there.

Christ though, the sanitised atmosphere in English grounds, no wonder the average age of those attending football grounds is so high.

This is in France for chuff's sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHfKKD9lqFY&feature=related

Now that's atmosphere.

I'm sure if you sent them footage of the Forest Play off Semi they'd say the same.

Agreed G & H block days were fantastic

The problem is many people are too embarrassed to start singing when all around them are sitting in silence.

There's probably something in that.

I usually go on my own and am relatively quiet. On the occasions I take a friend or my old man, I invariably go for a drink and lose my inhibitions somewhat. The noise comes after that.

The lack of singing is a by product of the lack of standing areas.

Standing areas back would soon result in the atmosphere back.

The lack of singing is a by product of the lack of standing areas.

Standing areas back would soon result in the atmosphere back.

Really? I don't buy into that.. I guess this is where someone will bring in the Bundesliga argument...

So there was no atmosphere in the PL? There was no atmosphere in the 2003season and the promotion season?

Would the atmosphere have been bettered with standing? I very much doubt it

Agree entirely Swiss.

The atmosphere relates to what occurs on the pitch. When we are playing well there is a good atmosphere, when we are shite (see this season) everyone is very quiet (unless it gets so bad that the "protests" break out).

A good atmosphere at Old Trafford when they've got Rooney playing out of his skin and are about to close the gap to the top of the Prem. Who'd have thought it?

Agree entirely Swiss.

The atmosphere relates to what occurs on the pitch. When we are playing well there is a good atmosphere, when we are shite (see this season) everyone is very quiet (unless it gets so bad that the "protests" break out).

A good atmosphere at Old Trafford when they've got Rooney playing out of his skin and are about to close the gap to the top of the Prem. Who'd have thought it?

But Rooney was the only good thing in the game really and that was only is bursts. It was a very mediocre game with lots of errors by the home side, especially Neville and Brown who were awful. The thing with the Stretford End is they sing whatever (although I'll accept that they have far more to sing about overall).

Sorry, not meaning to denegrate your original post in any way.

The Stretford End has every reason to be "buzzing" every game. A couple of trophies this last decade or so and some of the best football (surely only Aresnal come close in style) in the country and a half decent home record.

I think I would be looking forward to turning up most weeks knowing, in all likelyhood, what was to come.

I think finding a team who have performed like us in the last few years would be a fairer test of the atmos. at the Lane. If, indeed, such a team exists (perhaps The Sty would be a decent barometer).

>They'd lose their safety certificate.
health and safety.. biggest load of bollocks since christianity

In my opinion the atmosphere is better with standing because it allows those who want to sing to move together. Also, people tend to be more prepared to sing standing up (I stand at all games at which I'm allowed to. If, at away games, I'm told to sit down I do, but then I don't sing - for some reason I just feel silly singing sitting down, and it seems others feel the same, as it always goes very quiet when everyone is made to sit down).

The fact of people wishing to sing being able to move together is the most important one. At away games at which the United end is empty enough for people to move around, those who wish to sing gather at the back, and the atmosphere is much better, even when we're losing (the atmosphere from United fans at Watford was excellent in the circumstances). When the away end is full and everyone is therefore in their allocated seats, the atmosphere tends to suffer badly. Those who would normally sing can't move together, and can't stand because they can't get to the back.

Of course the game affects the atmosphere, but there are a number of United fans (myself included) who want to sing whatever happens on the pitch. Indeed, for away games in particular it's when we play poorly that I'm even more determined we get a decent atmosphere going, to avoid it being an entirely miserable 90 mins!

Some people want to support the team no matter how they play and understand that we are Sheffield united and not Man united.

Does anyone think there will be one at BL next season or will be at some point in the near future?

Does anyone think there will be one at BL next season or will be at some point in the near future?

With sensible and reasonable dialogue with the club, I don't see why not. An improvement in atmosphere should help the club as a whole and I'm sure a mutually beneficial arrangement could be made with the right assurances (i.e. no trouble and do as the stewards ask them... just like everyone else in the ground has to.)

However, if people start making demands of the club and then throwing their teddies out of the pram when the club expresses concerns or says that they are not going to inconvenience a lot of people to bow to the wishes of a few, then no. The club won't go out of their way to help them.

Or just do it. Ultimately the fans can have the power they just need to feel empowered enough to act.

It's our club, it's our game.

I tend to side with Linz on this one. While take your point, Bramley, the fact is that whose who wish to sit throughout the game and don't want to hear raised voices and strong language, are spread throughout the ground (including towards the back of the Kop). With no designated 'singing sections' they have every right to be, and they have every right to sit throughout the game without having their view obstructed, because it's an all-seater stadium.

The only way that the fans who wish to stand and sing can change that is to chase them out - stand in front of them, and bully them until they move. Firstly, that would be entirely wrong. Secondly, it wouldn't work. Those who wish to sit would have the club, and the law, on their side, and would win.

The only way to achieve this is to work with the club, and try to encourage them that the introduction of singing sections is good for all - for those who want to sing, for those who don't, and for the club.

Back
Top Bottom