Shirts in the 80's

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if the official shirts sold to fans in the mid 80s had the sponsor on (laver)?

No they didn't.

The first shirt to feature Laver on for fans was the 1992 laces one.

First away kit to feature the sponsor was the 1993 Blue and Turquoise Sash
Wasn’t it the 91 away and maybe even third?

No they didn't.

The first shirt to feature Laver on for fans was the 1992 laces one.

First away kit to feature the sponsor was the 1993 Blue and Turquoise Sash

I had it in my mind the Luminous yellow in 1990 had the sponsor on the fans version, but no you are correct it didn’t here is a fan on the pitch at Leicester in 1990 and it’s plain

0D682ADC-C6E6-4F9E-B072-EC6B600834A9.jpeg

They did produce replicas of the luminous yellow shirt with Laver for the 90/91 season. Hard to get hold of these days as most people had already bought the shirt the season before.

They did produce replicas of the luminous yellow shirt with Laver for the 90/91 season. Hard to get hold of these days as most people had already bought the shirt the season before.

Must have been a top division thing only in those days for the sponsor.. but it is probably why I thought I remembered the luminous yellow having the sponsor on the fans shirts.

Must have been a top division thing only in those days for the sponsor.. but it is probably why I thought I remembered the luminous yellow having the sponsor on the fans shirts.
Yeah possibly. This is the 90/91 replica version with Laver. Gr1oHO3T4ARXk8K-1.jpg

I had it in my mind the Luminous yellow in 1990 had the sponsor on the fans version, but no you are correct it didn’t here is a fan on the pitch at Leicester in 1990 and it’s plain

View attachment 145192
That number 5 looks familiar I wonder what he’s up to these days

My brother got the away one with Laver on - furry lettering. They also did some of the home shirt too - but very limited numbers. Think the yellow Laver box was a little see through.

Any pre 91 shirts with a sponsor fetch top dollar. They were made available to fans, however most purchased without a sponsor as they were feely available in places like suggs sports.

The badges (SUFC and Umbro) were also different from replicas if the OP is trying to distinguish a match worn.

My brother got the away one with Laver on - furry lettering. They also did some of the home shirt too - but very limited numbers. Think the yellow Laver box was a little see through.
My first kit was the 92-94 and the way you describe the lettering brings back so many memries.

Shame the lace came out and the lettering faded after a couple of weshes, still better than iron-on plastic though!

When I was a nipper at Primary School, someone in my class had the 'Ajax' shirt bought for him by his Mum and Dad (no mean feat back then as no-one had any money or electric etc.)
There was no sponsor on the front of that. Until he scrawled 'Cantors' on it in marker pen.
Imagine finding out that junior had done that to the shirt you bought him (that cost a weeks wages) in a font that can only be described as '9 year old writing with his wrong hand whilst on horseback'

Back
Top Bottom