Sheffield United Women

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ah your right football grounds up and down the country today we're full of people in prime physical conditions in the stands šŸ˜‰

869 fans today apparently. It's a shame that the Olympic legacy park is a McCabe thing as a smaller but local stadium would at least help create some atmosphere rather than a empty ground. Maybe something the club could explore with Sheffield FC wanting to move back?
I always wonder why Sheffield FC cabnnot just play at the Lane.

Oxymoron alert.

Discrimination is Discrimination and can never be positive.
I would tend to agree, but I canā€™t see how promoting the womens game is actively going to harm the mens game so why not ā€˜positively discriminateā€™ and help the womens game grow?
I think you make a decent argument, but I can't agree with you.

People should be paid what they're worth, irrespective of race,religion, gender, age, or any other differentiating factor.

For this reason I'm dead against any sort of equal opportunities monitoring, gender wage gap monitoring or gender specific shortlisting.

Whilst I acknowledge the potential benefits of the above it is impossible to achieve equality through legislation, all that does is breed resentment and in my mind it's far more counter productive than it is beneficial to anyone.

In the case of commercial enterprise/sport this will always come down to revenue generation, and those that generate the wealth have earned the right to distribute it as they wish.

When it comes to society my views are different.

I have always said that I would be happy to pay more tax, and I still would be, if we had a government that would spend it on supporting society and not on bombs, supporting their mates or buying trade deals through dodgy foreign aid deals with countries that ensure that the funds that they receive never reach the intended recipients.
The issue with this, albeit pretty sensible point, is that the odds are often (not always Iā€™ll accept) already stacked against those who arenā€™t in the prevailing majority - in commerce, employment, education, sport or whatever, itā€™s a lot more difficult for women to be ā€˜paid what theyā€™re worthā€™ because there isnā€™t the setups in place to allow that. I know the obvious response is to say ā€˜they need to fund themselves, less people go watch them so they should be paid lessā€¦ā€™ etc etc but that doesnā€™t wash with me, given that the womens game was actively stifled by men in the last 50 years I think the women are owed a bit of help to get up and running to be honest.

Playing after the men:
How many leave before the final whistle at the main game, never mind staying behind!
Playing before:
Getting people out if the Pub and into the ground for a 3pm kick off is difficult enough!
There is an absolute saturation of (menā€™s) football through the week which I think puts up a genuine hurdle for increasing spectator numbers. I went to games during the womenā€™s euros. One reason was ā€¦ there was no other football on.
I wonder if night matches from May to August might actually be more profitable for womenā€™s teams?
At the moment, Iā€™d need an extra reason to watch SUFC women as well as the men in a week - such as taking a young female relative along who wants to be a footballer, or someone I know playing, or them having a big game such as a big cup draw or promotion decider - some of which have happened before.

I went and watched the ladies once last season and watched some of the game last week, and thereā€™s still quite a big difference in quality and exciting football played. Until that improves I carnt see a big difference in attendance etc. The international game however has improved no end. As was seen this summer. When it gets to that level I would go and watch a few!

I went and watched the ladies once last season and watched some of the game last week, and thereā€™s still quite a big difference in quality and exciting football played. Until that improves I carnt see a big difference in attendance etc. The international game however has improved no end. As was seen this summer. When it gets to that level I would go and watch a few!
A good honest assessment of the state of play really.
I watched yesterday and two sublime hoals. Some of the errors made early doors, were really bad but hey let's enjoy the game eh.

I watched yesterday and two sublime hoals. Some of the errors made early doors, were really bad but hey let's enjoy the game eh.

I was there as well. Mrs G wanted to go, so we did, `and as you say, two great goals. It's not the same as watching the men's game, but it's a team playing in our colours, and I was swept along with it all.

Apart from some dodgy play (from both sides), I was impressed by the fact that the women never shirked a tough tackle, and there were quite a few head collisions when going for the high ball.

Other things to note; it's a family day out, loads of families there, mum, dad, kids. Some younger kids get distracted, so there were plenty running up and down the steps, instead of watching the game, which is fine. Loads of young girls in Blades kits, inspired by watching the England team maybe, but great to see them dressed like that.

For some reason, Durham FC had a load of blokes (fans) chanting "Blue Army", one bloke brought an annoying drum, which was great to listen to, for 90 minutes............

And when our second goal went in, one bloke stood up, singing, "You'll never beat the Durham, you'll never beat the Durham". Er, we did mate, 2-0.

Anyway, Blades win, pub after, life's good.

Quality doesn't necessarily relate to entertainment.

I remember watching Italian football in the late 80's/ early 90's.
The quality was arguably the best in the Europe, but matches were tactical midfield battles with defences usually on top.
It was like watching a game of chess, very slow, then a burst of fantastic quick action leading to a goal.
Italians seems to like that more technical tactical style, when as in England we preferred continues high tempo, lower quality but with plenty of goal mouth action.

I've watched the women's game. The goalies and defending is almost laughably bad at times
but to be honest it's this unpredictbality that also helps make it entertaining, goals can be scored when least expected.

Two good goals, and she is the team captain, so she is literally, "Captain Kirk".

She was the co-commentator on Talksport 2 commentating Friday night, on our game against Luton.

She's quite a regular on Talksport, usually commentating.
She has a good bubbly personality and comes across well, also has good knowledge of the game, so she may have a future career in the media.
It helped that she was slightly biased towards her club, Sheff United on Friday and said some nice things about us.

I was there as well. Mrs G wanted to go, so we did, `and as you say, two great goals. It's not the same as watching the men's game, but it's a team playing in our colours, and I was swept along with it all.

Apart from some dodgy play (from both sides), I was impressed by the fact that the women never shirked a tough tackle, and there were quite a few head collisions when going for the high ball.

Other things to note; it's a family day out, loads of families there, mum, dad, kids. Some younger kids get distracted, so there were plenty running up and down the steps, instead of watching the game, which is fine. Loads of young girls in Blades kits, inspired by watching the England team maybe, but great to see them dressed like that.

For some reason, Durham FC had a load of blokes (fans) chanting "Blue Army", one bloke brought an annoying drum, which was great to listen to, for 90 minutes............

And when our second goal went in, one bloke stood up, singing, "You'll never beat the Durham, you'll never beat the Durham". Er, we did mate, 2-0.

Anyway, Blades win, pub after, life's good.

Went to our game against Durham at Chesterfield last season.

They had a hard-core of a handful of older blokes following them who seemed to take it quite seriously.

Not sure if it felt encouraging or a bit creepy.

Very noticeable at Blades v Durham wonen, although someone was sat in South stand with a mic in hand, the announcements were a bit erratic.
For example, no mention of any of the substitutes entering the field.
He also failed to announce time added at the end until three minutes into the added five. Really poor.
In addition,
I attended Sheffield FC twice these past days, wonen v Solihull and men v Stocksbridge.
Only the men's game PA bothered to announce any subs.
All seems a bit lacking in respect for the women's game, like they are unworthy of the changes, added time announced etc.
However, from the three matches I went to, the women's games were better than Sheffield FC men Stocksbridge, by a mile.
The men's game was dire from start to finish, the women's games both way more entertaining and half the price.

Very noticeable at Blades v Durham wonen, although someone was sat in South stand with a mic in hand, the announcements were a bit erratic.
For example, no mention of any of the substitutes entering the field.
He also failed to announce time added at the end until three minutes into the added five. Really poor.
In addition,
I attended Sheffield FC twice these past days, wonen v Solihull and men v Stocksbridge.
Only the men's game PA bothered to announce any subs.
All seems a bit lacking in respect for the women's game, like they are unworthy of the changes, added time announced etc.
However, from the three matches I went to, the women's games were better than Sheffield FC men Stocksbridge, by a mile.
The men's game was dire from start to finish, the women's games both way more entertaining and half the price.
Yep also annoyed me. They did well to have the screen on and had all the player videos before the game to announce the match day squad but then let themselves down by not doing subs. Other than that was a good match day experience, very convenient and quick for me to get through with my Womenā€™s season ticket

That is a bloody nice kit! I think i might have to buy it. Do they sell it in mens or will i have to get a XL ladies? šŸ˜‚

Karen Carney has asked what percentage of the kit and sponsorship goes to the menā€™s team

Back
Top Bottom