2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Blackburn Rovers - FA Cup Quarter Final - 19th March 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BLA
BLA
BLA
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif
vs.
blackburnrovers.gif

FA Cup Quarter Final - Sunday 19th March 2023 - 12:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-blackburn-rovers.655/

Officials:

Referee: Tim Robinson
Assistant Referee: Timothy Wood
Assistant Referee: Nick Greenhalgh
VAR: Paul Tierney
AVAR: Richard West

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 22.32.21.png

How do I access the Shoutbox? I've seen people talking about it but can't work out how to find it. Apologies if I'm being thick/ blind

You need to make so many posts before you can use it. I followed the game on there tonight and it was superb.

It's meaningless so hey ho, but that was a terrible performance. I would be angry if I'd travelled to the game.

First half they literally parked the bus and we were incredible slow to move the ball around and they were very disciplined. We had 3 chances and Jebbo muffed them all (although the third one was difficult). Outside of that our passing was poor and our movement was almost non-existent. Furious spent half the half on the left side of defence and therefore we had no width. Players not putting first time passes and balls in meant they easily marshalled us.

They came out the second half, upped the tempo and attacked. Our response was to defend like buffoons and attack like we've been on a bender. They were more likely to score another than we were to equalise. I don't think anyone playing for a contract made any kind of case for themselves tonight.

Wes - 6.5 - Made a decent save and punched a couple clear but for me I'd expect him to get a hand to the goal. Still, probably our player of the match by default.
Lowe - N/A - went off injured early on. Probably makes him second player of the match.
Robbo - 5.5 - Looked slow and clumsy second half.
Egan - 5.5 - Got booked first half and looked off the pace tonight. Was at least trying to bring it forward first half and make something happen. Second, looked a bit at sea.
Basham - 1 - Talking about being all at sea, Bash puts in the worst performance since McAtee at Luton. Dire. Got done several times, looked slow and like a headless chicken. Worrying that he has another year and will no doubt be a defensive back-up.
Baldock - 3 - Not sure what Furious was doing tonight. He spent half the first half on the left giving us no option on the right hand side, squeezing play and playing into their hand. On the occasions he got it in a bit of space, not brave enough to put in a first time ball and just turned back inside, allowing them to reset. When he was actually moved to the left, made no attempt to go down the line.
Berge - 6 - Looked to make something happen at least, but slows the game down. Made a defensive header from a corner. I was surprised.
Norwood - 4 - Poor, slow, slopping. Moved the ball too slowly and got caught out second half.
McAtee - 5 - Looked to make something happen but crowded out. Give him credit for tracking back during the second half when they were through and maybe putting their man off.
Ndiaye - 5.5 - Crowded out tonight. Did a couple of nice things but no space to work with and didn't really stretch their defenders enough.
Jebbo - 3 - unconvincing shot on his one on one. Terrible attempt at a header when unmarked a few yards out. Got across his man for the third chance well but didn't get anywhere near enough on it. I thought his general forward play was poor. Lost the ball far too easily and it bounced off him. Didn't put anywhere near enough pressure on their defence.

Subs:

Stevens - 4 - At least put a first time ball in once but looks too off the pace to play the wingback role anymore. Taken off as clearly not really ready to return.
McBurnie - 3 - Bring back Jebbo, all is forgotten. I was really glad when he came on but his first touch was bad and his second was even worse. Too weak. The ball bounces off him and he didn't link up with Sharp at all.
Sharp - 1 - which was probably more Sharp's fault. Looked like a pub footballer when he came on. Slow, on his heels. not got the pace anymore. May as well have not been there at times.
Doyle - 5.5 - Brought some energy at least but his end product was poor tonight.
Fleck - 3 - Poor. Got in the right positions a few times but his touch was well off.

Hecky -4 - Can't really complain too much about the starting line-up but despite having all the ball we toiled and laboured to create anything and the few chances we had were wasted. Made an early substitution second half when they were all over us and while that made us more solid from set pieces but that was about it. I'm not really sure what the plan was in all honesty but nothing really worked.

Huddersfield - Masterstroke to bore us into submission and then come out in 4th gear. They look fairly terrible but in fairness there are worse teams in this league.

Don’t get what everyone is so upset about, particularly ones who didn’t go! This result literally means nothing! Played well first half without creating many chances, took our foot off in the second half and lost to a very good strike.

We were sat in Huddersfield end; a decent lot, they twigged we were Blades but no hassle. Other than thinking everything is a foul, they were alright.

You need to make so many posts before you can use it. I followed the game on there tonight and it was superb.
Not to mention the vetting process, needing 3 members to recommend you and the yearly subscription.

Its hardly the end of the world is it??
If we needed to win this game then we would have won it. End of.

Whatever.

Weird take off the strikers when midfield was losing that battle.

But whatever. Really not bothered!

How do I access the Shoutbox? I've seen people talking about it but can't work out how to find it. Apologies if I'm being thick/ blind
no you’re not thick

Best way to access SB is phone 01142 101010 and ask for Sam Ariton and you’ll get straight through

...and where do you find 6 replacements that we can afford as well as covering the three loans who go back ?
It will take more than one window to replace those that are no longer up to standard.
We would be relegated by November if that shower get near the pitch.

I think we can just chalk this one off.
I love a bit of sports psychology and that’s been key tonight.
As a player, despite your best intentions, you’re not going to have the same energy and desire to motivate yourself in a game like that, especially after the first half that was played like a friendly, it happens.
But it’s no big deal as it doesn’t matter one bit. The boys have done us proud this season and got us back in the PL!
Hopefully the loss tonight will serve well to motivate the players for one last push on Monday. Then we can all enjoy the summer! UTB ⚔️

Warnock's plan was spot on, although they did have some luck with the chances we missed first half. You could see us getting frustrated a bit before half time, and no doubt our focus at half time was how to break them down.

But they came out more aggressive and pushed higher up after the break. I reckon Warnock couldn't believe his luck when Ndiaye and Jebbison went off. We had no threat in behind and they could continue to push forward and they got their reward with a good goal. We were poor after that. Two more subs and a formation change didn't help and we struggled to create much at all.
Fairly basic though as I'm sure we expected them to be very defensive first half, we certainly let them off the hook with the missed chances.
Second half he tried to surprise us by going at us more, and our subs were beyond stupid.

Fairly basic though as I'm sure we expected them to be very defensive first half, we certainly let them off the hook with the missed chances.
Second half he tried to surprise us by going at us more, and our subs were beyond stupid.

Their extreme man marking is very unusual in today's football, I wouldn't call it basic.

Petty avoidable dampner on promotion for any of us who attended

At least don't lose FFS. No one would have a problem with a draw. That's 11 losses this season now. Wish we were less wiling to rack up another L..... and more determined to end on a high and reach 94 pts

Only positive tonight is it's convinced me not to bother with Birmingham. Just think of all the heavy pizzas I can buy with that money saved

I'm on the fence regards McBurnie. I've often thought, even by Championship standards he doesn't have enough quality.
He doesn't even run properly, always looks knackered or in pain when running.

However weirdly I think he'll do better in the Premier League than the Championship.
It's a little embarrassing but I think Mcburnie will have high nuisance value in the Premier League and cause some havoc.

Also a quality McBurnie DOES have which shouldn't be underestimated is personality in the dressing room and in training, character and a will to win.
McBurnie is the opposite of many of the players in the Watford squad, they have talented players with zero character.

He lacks quality but has the character you need to face a relegation battle.
However don't think any decent clubs would have him, so we shouldn't be offering him big wages, don't think he'll have many options.

In fact I'd put Jack Robinson in a similar bracket, not good enough for the Premier League but a massive character who will give everything in a relegation battle.
This season half our team has lacked quality but those players without the quality have been influential leaders and that comes in useful when facing adversity.

The main thing we’ll miss when McBurnie is on the bench next season is his ability at defending corners and other set pieces.

i thought that this is was a weird feeling pre game as after final home game, medals, lifting the trophy & lap of honour it felt weird that weve got 2 games left. it was like post season friendly. which is why i was pleasantly surprised 1st half at how good we we were, if jebbison was better in front of goal we wouldve been 2-0 up & far more positive

but i dont know if this is the after lord mayor's i feared or just a highly motivated huddersfield who are determined to avoid a nervy loser gets relegated game on the final day but we were way off 2nd half & seems it was 45 mins too far.

but thats the fixture list sometimes its not who you play its when you them. would we have beaten Fulham so comprensively had we played them march & not may. its highly doubtful as they were on a run of 10 wins in 13 with only 1 defeat

at least hecky is under no illusions

A right back at left back
A centre back at right back
A left back at centre back

Somebody make it make sense
Probably been reading this board to confirm Basham and Egan can't play in a four, not even for half an hour, like it's some sort of nuclear option.

What happened to Robbo's long throw too? Did we decide we'll keep this under wraps now hoping everyone forgets about it and we can surprise a few of the Big Boys?

In a way, tonight highlighted just how fortunate we've been to get promoted this season. Because as soon as Ndiaye went off, you saw exactly what we'd have been up against if he'd missed chunks of the season. Thank fuck he's stayed fit. It more than makes up for all the other injuries

I think we can just chalk this one off.
I love a bit of sports psychology and that’s been key tonight.
As a player, despite your best intentions, you’re not going to have the same energy and desire to motivate yourself in a game like that, especially after the first half that was played like a friendly, it happens.
But it’s no big deal as it doesn’t matter one bit. The boys have done us proud this season and got us back in the PL!
Hopefully the loss tonight will serve well to motivate the players for one last push on Monday. Then we can all enjoy the summer! UTB ⚔️

I agree.

It’s a bit like the last day at work before you break up for christmas. Subconsciously you’re already in the pub.

It’s shit for those who bought tickets and went of course, but also precisely why I wouldn’t have bought tickets and gone

Should have been 2 nil up at half time if Jebbo had put the one on one and header away, dominated and they couldn’t get near us first half.

2nd half was abject but the subs really didn’t help.

Given the situation we're in, I don't really mind the loss, but did it have to be to a Warnock team. Last thing he needs is more of an Ego Boost. Anyone but him.

Possibly, but we cannot go out and bring in 9 new players that would be better than them.
In reality there will be loads of free transfers better than some of them that ‘played’ last night , and if we cant find them or cant afford them , then we are fooked big time

In reality there will be loads of free transfers better than some of them that ‘played’ last night , and if we cant find them or cant afford them , then we are fooked big time
Free transfers where we can afford the salaries are unlikely to be that good. If they were then why have they been released ?

Free transfers where we can afford the salaries are unlikely to be that good. If they were then why have they been released ?
As i said , if we cant find or afford better than some o them , we are fooked , sorry

There are and it’s something worth exploring certainly.

But often times free transfer players know they can ask for better personal terms as a result of them being free.

Further to that, maybe a lot of the frees are at the back end of their career, we could end up saddled with another Hammond.

We do need to strengthen no doubt

Back
Top Bottom