Sheffield United or Manchester City

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Although I am a Blade and couldn't support anyone else I would sooner be Man City.
I would actually like too see us win something other than the 4th or 3rd Division, even the Scrubbers from S6 have managed too win a cup and played in Europe in my time supporting the Blades.
Unfortunately our fan base's mindset needs too change the us against the world attitude is outdated.
I would love too see a United side full of players comfortable on the ball with athleticism who attack quickly with pace rather than the 'gerrit forward blades' and the 'hit him' comments you hear on the kop. Our heroes are Bob Booker, Chris Basham, Chris Morgan for goodness sake which says it all.
I love the players listed above but let's be honest they are no Grealish or Aguero.

Although I am a Blade and couldn't support anyone else I would sooner be Man City.
I would actually like too see us win something other than the 4th or 3rd Division, even the Scrubbers from S6 have managed too win a cup and played in Europe in my time supporting the Blades.
Unfortunately our fan base's mindset needs too change the us against the world attitude is outdated.
I would love too see a United side full of players comfortable on the ball with athleticism who attack quickly with pace rather than the 'gerrit forward blades' and the 'hit him' comments you hear on the kop. Our heroes are Bob Booker, Chris Basham, Chris Morgan for goodness sake which says it all.
I love the players listed above but let's be honest they are no Grealish or Aguero.
Although I'm a blade
Yes course you are

I totally agree with much of what you say but the idea that our heroes are limited to the likes of the three you mention is stretching it a bit far .

The likes of Jimmy Hagan , Joe Shaw , Mick Jones , Brian Deane , Alan Woodward and Tony Currie are all examples of players that almost every clubs supporters would have been proud to have had playing for them.

You cite Jack Grealish as the being the type of player who could qualify for the status of being a hero . In all the many matches I have watched him play throughout his career , I have yet to see him produce a single performance which came anywhere close to being as good as literally dozens of those that TC produced for us .

Any degree is achievement through adversity is very rewarding.

Winning when you are fully expected to win and when the odds were stacked in your favour so much isnā€™t.

Not for me. Smacks of the Michael Owen ā€œwell done, heā€™s only 12ā€ video!

The game has become a game of the haves against the have nots. The haves are a small, powerful group that get away with everything and become entitled on their perch. The rest battle for scraps and survival. Football in this country has never had a billion pound club that is so far ahead of the rest like Citeh are right now. The days where teams would dominate for a few seasons are gone. Leeds in the 70's, Liverpool on the 80's, huddersfield in the...well long time ago. But they all came back down to earth with the rest of us mortals. But Citeh will dominate for decades, I fear, thus killing The Premier League in the process as a competitive league.
Maybe I'm looking back with too much fondness of yesteryear. The muddy pitches, old refs, classic uniforms etc. But watching one team worth as much as the three leagues below them combined, just seems wrong.
Maybe the league will grow some balls and look into their books. As if!!

Youā€™re asking the question as if I have a choice. That die was cast a long, long time ago, and thanks to my Grandma I became a Blade even before I knew about such things. I was raised on tales of Jimmy Hagen, and watched Currie, Woodward, Deand and Agana, Whitehouse, Hodges, Kelly and Tracey and Rees, Morgs and Jags and Paddy, Michaels Brown and Tonge, Nick ā€œMontyā€ Montgomery, and Sir William Of Sharp.

However if you ask if Iā€™d like us to see some glory, a trophy or two, then youā€™re damned right I would. Who else on here heard about a Saudi prince buying into the club and thought here we go, thatā€™s us loaded now? Who else thought we might be signing internationals weā€™d actually heard of, and might, just might, become an established Premier League club?

Are you accepting of your lot as a Blade? I know I am. But would I also like us to be part of the establishment, sitting regularly at the top table instead of looking on with envy and our noses pressed against the window, only occasionally being allowed in before we are cast back out into the throng of lesser beings, and instructed to know our place in the hierarchy.

I love United. Itā€™s part of my DNA and has been for many years. But Iā€™d also love some sustained success. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so.

Well it seems the blades way wins by a landslide
Therefore can I suggest we
stop moaning on here about not having a rich owner
stop moaning about never keeping our young talent
Stop moaning about Not competing in this league
Stop moaning about the bogs
Stop moaning about our academy needing an upgrade
Stop moaning about the Kop
Stop moaning about the catering
Stop moaning about clubs a third our size being able to but better players
And stop wishing to win a major trophy - its not going to happen

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Man City

Comfy seats, nicer food, quieter atmosphere so if the game is a bit dull I can have a read of my book, guaranteed to be watching the best players in the world
(I would much rather watch Rodri and Grealish week in week out than Norwood and Fleck showing their skills).

56 years being a Blade. No choice when parents, grandparents & great grandparents bring you up to be a Blade. Would have it no other way. Just about seen it all whether itā€™s promotions or relegation to div 4 with the 6 wilderness years in league 1. Itā€™s a rollercoaster to say the least. You can stick your multi billion pound clubs. Who really wants that?

I just read the 'View from' and some of the responses. Our views are so different it begs the question, who would you rather be? Manchester City, a team full of highly paid, highly skilled international footballers with no real affinity to the club, but a team that regularly wins everything. A stadium that's a thing of beauty in its design and facilities, and big enough to cater for the few thousand old school fans plus thousands of day trippers, prawn sandwich fans and plastics? Enjoy a sanitized match day with American style entertainment on view, not many of the old songs and being surrounded by a sea of followers in their brand new shirts and bag of merchandise from the club shop?

Or would you rather be a Blade? Years of turmoil behind the scenes, a few seasons flirting with success, without winning anything of note, and having to be content with memories like Jags in goal and us beating Arsenal? Bouncing Day Massacre etc.? Having the frustration of seasons like this one where our best player walked out on us just before the season started and us taking an age to try and rectify it? Bogs with no roof, pillars on the kop and shitty, overpriced catering? Even the fans aren't the same, dinosaurs like me look at it different to the younger lot but at the end of it all, what would you rather be?

Me? 100% Blade, whether it's 4th division or 1st division (Premier League) I'd rather us keep our identity, not sell out to the corporate world but rather be what we are. An honest bunch from a once thriving steel town that can give anybody a game on any day. Football's changed, the sooner the Super League happens the better as if it does, practice sessions like yesterday shouldn't happen, we should have a more evenly balanced league where games are won or lost on something other than how much cash you have.

So what is it, Battling Blade or Pampered Wanky Manc?

Have a Happy New Year all of you, friends and foes alike as we're all Blades in 'ere.

UTBFTP šŸ‘ŠšŸ‘ŠšŸ‘Š
Fantastic post.
Blade every time!

Well it seems the blades way wins by a landslide
Therefore can I suggest we
stop moaning on here about not having a rich owner
stop moaning about never keeping our young talent
Stop moaning about Not competing in this league
Stop moaning about the bogs
Stop moaning about our academy needing an upgrade
Stop moaning about the Kop
Stop moaning about the catering
Stop moaning about clubs a third our size being able to but better players
And stop wishing to win a major trophy - its not going to happen

Agree.....the problem with this type of question is there's a big difference between theory and practice.

In general you find the vast bulk of the population (especially older fans) are averse to chance.
Also think it's a Sheffield thing, we don't like change, big fancy dan ideas or prolonged success.
We a self deprecating fanbase, so if we improves as a club some of our fans wouldn't be happy.
It's as thought part of our identity and DNA is failure and we're proud of it and don't want it to change.

Said this before.....it does make you wonder if ambitious owners do their home work on the Sheffield clubs and conclude it's a big risk where they'll need to chance traditional Sheffield attitudes, so only offer what appears to be a cheap price.

Last edited:
This is an interesting question. Iā€™m a blade who aged 15 moved to Manchester with my mum and dad . My mates at my new school either supported Man U or City . At that time most followed United (1976 ). I went to Old Trafford when Tommy Doc was manager with a mate of my dad and also used to go to Maine Road with a school mate then getting back home to see the blades when possible . I was always impressed with United seeing 55k packed into OT on a Saturday. City always for me was the underdog team but their fans then remind me of what we have been for the last 15years . A yo yo club . Average ground great atmosphere but lacking the right ownership.
Move forward to today I relish travelling over the Pennines to follow the blades on a Saturday by train and get some aways in . My other half and daughter ( Mancunians ) follow city and have season tickets ( wife had hers years before you start)
Bottom line for me going to the odd game at the Etihad they have lost their soul despite being world beaters .
Would I swap ? Absolutely no chance . Be a sad day when our car park is rammed with Merc G63s and half and half scarves flourish in the stands

It doesn't even deserve a thought, this club grabs you by the heart, yes we aren't the most successful, yes we won't challenge for the top honours, but this club is a proper club, with proper fans, fuck the mollycoddled bankrolled fuckers, I'd take this spit and sawdust passionate, fuck the lot of em club 10 times over any club in the world
100% this.

Agree.....the problem with this type of question is there's a big difference between theory and practice.

In general you find the vast bulk of the population (especially older fans) are averse to chance.
Also think it's a Sheffield thing, we don't like change, big fancy dan ideas or prolonged success.
We a self deprecating fanbase, so if we improves as a club some of our fans wouldn't be happy.
It's as thought part of our identity and DNA is failure and we're proud of it and don't want it to change.

Said this before.....it does make you wonder if ambitious owners do their home work on the Sheffield clubs and conclude it's a big risk where they'll need to chance traditional Sheffield attitudes, so only offer what appears to be a cheap price.
I fall into the older fan group and sadly find my voice for change is seen with difference with most my age
Iā€™ve been waiting for a swagger at my club since 75
embarrassing really that we embrace and protect cloth caps clogs and Hovis

I totally agree with much of what you say but the idea that our heroes are limited to the likes of the three you mention is stretching it a bit far .

The likes of Jimmy Hagan , Joe Shaw , Mick Jones , Brian Deane , Alan Woodward and Tony Currie are all examples of players that almost every clubs supporters would have been proud to have had playing for them.

You cite Jack Grealish as the being the type of player who could qualify for the status of being a hero . In all the many matches I have watched him play throughout his career , I have yet to see him produce a single performance which came anywhere close to being as good as literally dozens of those that TC produced for us .
Oh come on Grealish is class.
I couldn't add alot of the players you mentioned because other than Deane and a few games from Woodward at the end off his career I never saw the rest play..

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Man City

Comfy seats, nicer food, quieter atmosphere so if the game is a bit dull I can have a read of my book, guaranteed to be watching the best players in the world
(I would much rather watch Rodri and Grealish week in week out than Norwood and Fleck showing their skills).
Iā€™d be happy to have a player or two who can compete against Rodri etc in their half of the pitch that would be enough money for me

Youā€™re asking the question as if I have a choice. That die was cast a long, long time ago, and thanks to my Grandma I became a Blade even before I knew about such things. I was raised on tales of Jimmy Hagen, and watched Currie, Woodward, Deand and Agana, Whitehouse, Hodges, Kelly and Tracey and Rees, Morgs and Jags and Paddy, Michaels Brown and Tonge, Nick ā€œMontyā€ Montgomery, and Sir William Of Sharp.

However if you ask if Iā€™d like us to see some glory, a trophy or two, then youā€™re damned right I would. Who else on here heard about a Saudi prince buying into the club and thought here we go, thatā€™s us loaded now? Who else thought we might be signing internationals weā€™d actually heard of, and might, just might, become an established Premier League club?

Are you accepting of your lot as a Blade? I know I am. But would I also like us to be part of the establishment, sitting regularly at the top table instead of looking on with envy and our noses pressed against the window, only occasionally being allowed in before we are cast back out into the throng of lesser beings, and instructed to know our place in the hierarchy.

I love United. Itā€™s part of my DNA and has been for many years. But Iā€™d also love some sustained success. Is that too much to ask? Apparently so.
This 100%

Although I'm a blade
Yes course you are
Heā€™s a Blade who wants more than this antiquated you get with the clogs n hovis attitude
You saying if we had a team of quality premier league players - maybe Villa level (as an example) you not lap it up -

Heā€™s a Blade who wants more than this antiquated you get with the clogs n hovis attitude
You saying if we had a team of quality premier league players - maybe Villa level (as an example) you not lap it up -
I don't know ,how did you feel when Wednesday had Hirst Sheridan etc ?

I just read the 'View from' and some of the responses. Our views are so different it begs the question, who would you rather be? Manchester City, a team full of highly paid, highly skilled international footballers with no real affinity to the club, but a team that regularly wins everything. A stadium that's a thing of beauty in its design and facilities, and big enough to cater for the few thousand old school fans plus thousands of day trippers, prawn sandwich fans and plastics? Enjoy a sanitized match day with American style entertainment on view, not many of the old songs and being surrounded by a sea of followers in their brand new shirts and bag of merchandise from the club shop?

Or would you rather be a Blade? Years of turmoil behind the scenes, a few seasons flirting with success, without winning anything of note, and having to be content with memories like Jags in goal and us beating Arsenal? Bouncing Day Massacre etc.? Having the frustration of seasons like this one where our best player walked out on us just before the season started and us taking an age to try and rectify it? Bogs with no roof, pillars on the kop and shitty, overpriced catering? Even the fans aren't the same, dinosaurs like me look at it different to the younger lot but at the end of it all, what would you rather be?

Me? 100% Blade, whether it's 4th division or 1st division (Premier League) I'd rather us keep our identity, not sell out to the corporate world but rather be what we are. An honest bunch from a once thriving steel town that can give anybody a game on any day. Football's changed, the sooner the Super League happens the better as if it does, practice sessions like yesterday shouldn't happen, we should have a more evenly balanced league where games are won or lost on something other than how much cash you have.

So what is it, Battling Blade or Pampered Wanky Manc?

Have a Happy New Year all of you, friends and foes alike as we're all Blades in 'ere.

UTBFTP šŸ‘ŠšŸ‘ŠšŸ‘Š
I think there is a position that lies between ā€œmuck nā€™ nettlesā€ and selling your soul to rich Arabs.

Was at the Etihad for the first time on Saturday, not least because my daughter lives a stones throw from there.
Not a great experience. Had to climb 15 flights of stairs to my seat, in what is supposed to be a modern stadium. Great view of pitch, but players looked like ants viewed from a passing plane. Zero atmosphere ("football in a library").
Sublimely gifted players though!!! You gets what you pay for!
Think I will stick with BDTBL!

A a coach of youth players here in the US, for some reason I always find myself coaching the lesser skilled players so I often reflect: do I enjoy my coaching of those young players who are in need of critical thinking, empathy, superior coaching or would I prefer to walk into a program (and there are some in Ohio) where the players are already advanced and you coach the superior players?

Truthfully, I thinking coaching is more of a challenge and gratifying building a team rather than joining an already built team.

Transcend into you question: I am a 100% Blade since 1957 and wouldn't change a day of everything I have experienced being a Blade and the wild, gritty, daily emotional challenge that has colored my lifelong love for my Blades.

But, maybe a trophy here and there would have felt good!!

toledo

This is an interesting question. Iā€™m a blade who aged 15 moved to Manchester with my mum and dad . My mates at my new school either supported Man U or City . At that time most followed United (1976 ). I went to Old Trafford when Tommy Doc was manager with a mate of my dad and also used to go to Maine Road with a school mate then getting back home to see the blades when possible . I was always impressed with United seeing 55k packed into OT on a Saturday. City always for me was the underdog team but their fans then remind me of what we have been for the last 15years . A yo yo club . Average ground great atmosphere but lacking the right ownership.
Move forward to today I relish travelling over the Pennines to follow the blades on a Saturday by train and get some aways in . My other half and daughter ( Mancunians ) follow city and have season tickets ( wife had hers years before you start)
Bottom line for me going to the odd game at the Etihad they have lost their soul despite being world beaters .
Would I swap ? Absolutely no chance . Be a sad day when our car park is rammed with Merc G63s and half and half scarves flourish in the stands
Used to watch City at Maine Road when a mate played for them and mix with their fans in Cheadle Hulme.

Those fans are still around but in general it's a very different vibe these days.

Back
Top Bottom