Sheffield United or Manchester City

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Maurice Maurice

Reaction score
I just read the 'View from' and some of the responses. Our views are so different it begs the question, who would you rather be? Manchester City, a team full of highly paid, highly skilled international footballers with no real affinity to the club, but a team that regularly wins everything. A stadium that's a thing of beauty in its design and facilities, and big enough to cater for the few thousand old school fans plus thousands of day trippers, prawn sandwich fans and plastics? Enjoy a sanitized match day with American style entertainment on view, not many of the old songs and being surrounded by a sea of followers in their brand new shirts and bag of merchandise from the club shop?

Or would you rather be a Blade? Years of turmoil behind the scenes, a few seasons flirting with success, without winning anything of note, and having to be content with memories like Jags in goal and us beating Arsenal? Bouncing Day Massacre etc.? Having the frustration of seasons like this one where our best player walked out on us just before the season started and us taking an age to try and rectify it? Bogs with no roof, pillars on the kop and shitty, overpriced catering? Even the fans aren't the same, dinosaurs like me look at it different to the younger lot but at the end of it all, what would you rather be?

Me? 100% Blade, whether it's 4th division or 1st division (Premier League) I'd rather us keep our identity, not sell out to the corporate world but rather be what we are. An honest bunch from a once thriving steel town that can give anybody a game on any day. Football's changed, the sooner the Super League happens the better as if it does, practice sessions like yesterday shouldn't happen, we should have a more evenly balanced league where games are won or lost on something other than how much cash you have.

So what is it, Battling Blade or Pampered Wanky Manc?

Have a Happy New Year all of you, friends and foes alike as we're all Blades in 'ere.

UTBFTP 👊👊👊

I just read the 'View from' and some of the responses. Our views are so different it begs the question, who would you rather be? Manchester City, a team full of highly paid, highly skilled international footballers with no real affinity to the club, but a team that regularly wins everything. A stadium that's a thing of beauty in its design and facilities, and big enough to cater for the few thousand old school fans plus thousands of day trippers, prawn sandwich fans and plastics? Enjoy a sanitized match day with American style entertainment on view, not many of the old songs and being surrounded by a sea of followers in their brand new shirts and bag of merchandise from the club shop?

Or would you rather be a Blade? Years of turmoil behind the scenes, a few seasons flirting with success, without winning anything of note, and having to be content with memories like Jags in goal and us beating Arsenal? Bouncing Day Massacre etc.? Having the frustration of seasons like this one where our best player walked out on us just before the season started and us taking an age to try and rectify it? Bogs with no roof, pillars on the kop and shitty, overpriced catering? Even the fans aren't the same, dinosaurs like me look at it different to the younger lot but at the end of it all, what would you rather be?

Me? 100% Blade, whether it's 4th division or 1st division (Premier League) I'd rather us keep our identity, not sell out to the corporate world but rather be what we are. An honest bunch from a once thriving steel town that can give anybody a game on any day. Football's changed, the sooner the Super League happens the better as if it does, practice sessions like yesterday shouldn't happen, we should have a more evenly balanced league where games are won or lost on something other than how much cash you have.

Have a Happy New Year all of you, friends and foes alike as we're all Blades in 'ere.

UTBFTP 👊👊👊
No brainier……..Batting Blade all day long⚔️🫤

I was thinking about this and as much as I hated Man Utd in the 1990’s for being good they did it before the introduction of stupid money into the game and some success was built on the ‘Class of 92’. They had more money than others but we could and did compete in games against them.

Man City aren’t even operating on the same level as us and are in the same league.

It sounds like sour grapes and there is a mentality of our fans where we’d rather be hard done to and poor, always the underdog etc. I don’t subscribe to that, but proper Man City fans surely must be yearning for Forest Green away rather than 4 trips to Wembley a year for games that they’re nailed on to win.

The Dickov final is something the current iteration of Man City will never experience.

Happy New Year to you mate and to Blades everywhere!!
Somewhere partway between us and Manchester City would do for me, a bit of yoyoing and the actual ability to beat anyone in the league, "on your day".
This may sound awful to some, but being a bit like Wolves, Palace or Fulham would do for me!
Tin hat firmly on!!

1000% Blade. Even if they somehow dodge punishment, the level City have been able to spend pretty much means every trophy is a hollow success. mattbianco1 put up a monopoly analogy a while ago which was spot on. Judging by the ripple of applause their 5 trophies got on Saturday I think their fans feel it’s all a bit empty too…

It's not the same sport anymore
Not many are but football ( although it still has its moments ) is a grotesque caricature of everything that made it great

I still love being a blade but without a billionaire owner you can't even survive in the top division and then you become ..what ...Brighton ?
I'd rather watch non league games or local matches thanks

It doesn't even deserve a thought, this club grabs you by the heart, yes we aren't the most successful, yes we won't challenge for the top honours, but this club is a proper club, with proper fans, fuck the mollycoddled bankrolled fuckers, I'd take this spit and sawdust passionate, fuck the lot of em club 10 times over any club in the world

UTBFTP 👊👊👊
We had this same discussion in the pub after.
Blade every time.
If you offered me a 'win every game' spell, I wouldn't take it.

100% Blade but I would like to see us win a cup before I pop off and I do think we should be a fixture in the Premier League. As you get older a few better facilities would be nice we could do so much better. Makes me sick to see children today walking around Sheffield with Man City, Liverpool or Barcelona shirts on, glory hunting little bastards need a clip. Got more respect for kids in pig shirts.

UTBFTP 👊👊👊
Blade 100%

I love the blades way , id love to see us win something but i go to games to be with my son and family hopefully to win but to compete and be my team. As for city a few years ago after city had started to win everything i was talking to some city fans and they loved shaun goater, spoke about him like we do about some of our heros, he was there favourite player and they had aguerro playing then ,and they enjoyed it more when they were a normal battling team, but they all loved winning things mainly at man utds expense, so if we could have a couple of years winning everything id take it

Went to watch Kevin Hart at Manchester Arena, on the way home our lass said do you fancy the Etiad stadium tour?! I said go on then. I was absolutely underwhelmed, didn't do owt for me, think Emirates is better but none are close to Bramall Lane. Fuck your glory fans.

"I'd rather be me than mega rich and successful wi' a gigantic shlong". Well, I guess we'll never know but born this way (as a twat and Blade) and happy with both of them, so Happy New Year fellow Blades, hope it's a good'un X

Fuck Man City if we ever go there again we need to take a replica first division trophy with us (as identified by Hal) and parade that pitch side in front of our fans.
Did I say 'Fuck man city'? They can fuck off, their legal bill is larger than our players wages. Fuck 'em.

I'd take Battling Blade all the time! It would be nice to have improved facilities but if this meant having an enormous illuminated Emirates, Etihad sign or such like across the South Stand (and everything that goes with it) I think I'd soon lose interest. We'll never go back to the days when players went to training on the bus, but with the bucket loads of money floating around it has created an enormous gulf between players and fans.
I thought the pre match bragging re the 5 trophies was fairly nauseating - 5 enormous banners unfurled opposite the TV cameras and the biggest banner I've ever seen on a pitch. All to celebrate trophies they've effectively bought.

Went to watch Kevin Hart at Manchester Arena, on the way home our lass said do you fancy the Etiad stadium tour?! I said go on then. I was absolutely underwhelmed, didn't do owt for me, think Emirates is better but none are close to Bramall Lane. Fuck your glory fans.
Emirates is just a carbon copy of the Estádio da Luz. Etihad tried to copy the San Siro spiral staircases and it looks wank in comparison.

BDTBL every day the week.
UTB and happy New Year Bladesmen and Bladeswomen

I would take staying at Bramall Lane but with a Saudi Prince coming in with a ‘game changing’ investment. Oh hang on……..

Bramall Lane where it is, with a new kop, would be a wonderful stadium.
On principle, I've always been against anything Saudi/Gulf, so if we could find a kind philanthropist not linked to an awful oppressive regime who could put up the cash for a new kop I'd be a happy man!

You'll be surprised to hear but Saturday was one of the best away days I've had in years. Not in terms of the football, because that was wank, but I met up with one of my old Raf mates who is a City fan. Apart from the usual reminiscing about years gone by he gave me a great insight what it's like to be a modern day City fan. I was gobsmacked when he told me how much his European trips cost him and how he sees the Scousers as bigger rivals than Man U. But he has a proper soft spot for us blades (as I used to drag him to the lane in the early 90's) and how we're a traditional club. I asked him if he misses City being shit and his answer of "yeah but it's fucking great winning everything" made me realise that even though we're only 40 miles away we're world's apart. Yeah success would be good but give me a away dayat a wet and dreary Huddersfield/Bury/Rochdale rather than a sanitised Etihad any day of the week.

Back
Top Bottom