'Memries' Sheffield United 1988-1989

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That brought the memries flooding back .............

The win at Blackpool, Martin Pike lashing in that shot, the 1 - 4 at Notts County, I wonder who their manager was ? .... :rolleyes:

The win at Brentford, they had Ooh Aah in the Team, before he became Sir Ooh Aah :)

All season, just got on with the job

What a fucking season often not remembered due to the following seasons exploits but we proper tore it up this year.

Gave me some pride back in being a Blade can't wait to watch the footage.

*ps what happened to 84-88 seasons WalthamstowBlade ?

13245264_10153615837760950_3115073911076385334_n.jpg

I started supporting United during this season. I played centre half at school and my dad gave me the advice that I should pay special attention to the centre halfs when watching so I could learn from them. I took it a bit literally and spent large swathes of matches staring at Paul Stancliffe.

My dad, who'd been a regular between 1958 and 1980, reckoned the football was shite. I don't remember caring and neither did he when we went up. It was the start of easily the best period I've had watching the Blades and it lasted until 1993/1994.

Brought a tear to my eye watching that that again . Great time to be a Blade !

An absolutely storming season, some fantastic memories.
One thing that sticks out, and I'm hoping this doesn't come across negatively at all but, I think we took only 6 points from a possible 24 against the relegated teams. Particularly remember going to Chesterfield & losing count of the times we hit the bloody woodwork..... and lost.

Also the trip to Notts on Boxing Day was pretty good. I seem to recall Deano getting loads of clog from their centre half (I want to say Don O'Riordan ?) before flattening him in the second half with a punch Bomber Graham would've been proud of. Deane was almost down the tunnel before the ref caught up to show him the red card.

I've no qualms about leaving out 1987-88 but was quite looking forward to seeing 1984-85, 1985-86 and 1986-87 as they were the first seasons I had an ST.

It was the last season before I had a season ticket and I missed the first few matches of the season due to cricket as usual and didn't go until the Newcastle league cup game.

I think I was 14 - I'd seen us be 'competitive' and I'd seen us blast crap sides apart. I'd never seen a United side make another team look completely incapable of stopping us - particularly not a first division team. Mirandinha had been on the back of all of the papers and on Football Focus during the early season so expected Newcastle to be half decent. We absolutely battered them. Mirandinha also managed to head a free header into the ground and over the bar from less than 5 yards out.

Lots of that season still plays like a video in my head. Walking off the Kop to Yazz "The Only Way is Up", the FA Cup run (first time I'd ever seen one), reading the Flashing Blade for the first time.

It was the last season before I had a season ticket and I missed the first few matches of the season due to cricket as usual and didn't go until the Newcastle league cup game.

I think I was 14 - I'd seen us be 'competitive' and I'd seen us blast crap sides apart. I'd never seen a United side make another team look completely incapable of stopping us - particularly not a first division team. Mirandinha had been on the back of all of the papers and on Football Focus during the early season so expected Newcastle to be half decent. We absolutely battered them. Mirandinha also managed to head a free header into the ground and over the bar from less than 5 yards out.

Lots of that season still plays like a video in my head. Walking off the Kop to Yazz "The Only Way is Up", the FA Cup run (first time I'd ever seen one), reading the Flashing Blade for the first time.

I think I've got every FB from 2 onwards.

An absolutely storming season, some fantastic memories.
One thing that sticks out, and I'm hoping this doesn't come across negatively at all but, I think we took only 6 points from a possible 24 against the relegated teams. Particularly remember going to Chesterfield & losing count of the times we hit the bloody woodwork..... and lost.

Also the trip to Notts on Boxing Day was pretty good. I seem to recall Deano getting loads of clog from their centre half (I want to say Don O'Riordan ?) before flattening him in the second half with a punch Bomber Graham would've been proud of. Deane was almost down the tunnel before the ref caught up to show him the red card.

Deano was sent off for flattening Nicky Law senior.

Chesterfield had all the luck going in both games against United.

Of the other relegated teams, Southend also got the double over us, and we lost at Aldershot and Gillingham.

A few things stick out from watching this :-

• Deano's brilliant 'flick' goals.
  • How good was the crossing and balls into the box? Hope Tufty's addressing this.
  • How good was Jock at heading?
  • Loads of pace going forward.

Might not have been pretty but it was certainly effective.

In honour of the new season, jumping ahead a bit here is the last time we got out of this division...

COYRAWW!

Who were the opponents between 50:48 and 51:00 when Edwards scored at the Lane End against the men in blue and white stripes? Had me stumped when I first saw the goal in 1989. Did the commentary say the names of the opposing players?

Who were the opponents between 50:48 and 51:00 when Edwards scored at the Lane End against the men in blue and white stripes? Had me stumped when I first saw the goal in 1989. Did the commentary say the names of the opposing players?

Its the Pigs in TK's testimonial. No commentary.

Trivial/geeky post of the year attempt:

The audio for the goals at Port Vale (26m:49s) and Notts County (33m:04s) is the same. Unless both Port Vale and Notts County have a fan who sarcastically shouts "bloody brilliant, Sheffield" when we start to engage in head tennis.

Trivial/geeky post of the year attempt:

The audio for the goals at Port Vale (26m:49s) and Notts County (33m:04s) is the same. Unless both Port Vale and Notts County have a fan who sarcastically shouts "bloody brilliant, Sheffield" when we start to engage in head tennis.

My guess is that one of them had a bit too much swearing for the VHS editor's liking so they overdubbed it.

Did we play wolves at their ground and draw 2-2 midweek,think Stan tha man got 1 not sure bout who scored other,i got kicked out for throwing coins at wolves fans on their split kop,young and daft in them days I'm afraid!

Back
Top Bottom