Six of the Best - The Best Performances by United away from home

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

davey1889

Reaction score
Games that I attended so some obvious omissions. In no particular order...

Norwich - FA Cup. February 18th 1989

Norwich finished 4th in the old 1st Division that year while United were in the 3rd Division. Came from behind twice to level with a goal each from Deane and Agana but didn't quite have enough in the end. Awesome performance though and an indicator of what was to come the following season.

Millwall - Championship. October 18th 2005

Real Madrid in red and white I think Keith Edwards described it as. 2 from Danny Webber, Vincent Pericard and Wayne Quinn.

Arsenal - FA Cup. April 13th 2003

Arguably the only neutral venue game in the 90s that we turned up for. Only the Seaman save and Graham Poll's intervention beat us that day.

Leicester - Division 2. May 5th 1990

Anything need saying?

West Brom - Division 2. August 19th 1989

Not spectacular but unexpected after coming up the previous year and set the tone for the season. Have a memory that the away fan prices were massively hiked on the day (£6?) which caused some unrest.

Ipswich - Division 2. Play off semi final. 14th May 1997

First leg at the Lane had been a draw and we were behind twice but an Andy Walker goal got us through on away goals.

in no particular order & games I attended:
Aston Villa. FA Cup under Clough.
MK Dons. Promotion party with Wilder et al
Hull. Promotion season. 3 up in 25 mins and then the pub after to watch Leeds lose.
York. 4th Div. Reight laugh on the Football Special.
Leicester. Blades glory, Owls down.
Soton. Warnock promotion season. Freezing cold Xmas fixture.

Darlington obviously, Leicester, Bouncing Day, Villa in Cup, MK Don's, Everton Marwood scoring late on to win.

Obvious ones are Darlington 82 and Leicester with pigs also going down but Oldham and Portsmouth were top of league in late 80s and we played both 2 weeks running away .
We won at Oldham 5_1
We won at Portsmouth 3_0
Got back to sheffield late after that pompey game and my area handsworth was buzzing with blades. We took around 3k I belive to pompey that day .
Luton 3 sheffutd 6 another good away day .
Millwall 0 blades 4 , night match I belive and we knew then we were up.
Cardiff 0 blades 1 , webbers goal secured promotion. I got battered after the game on way back to the station.
Got lots lots more and so many pictures and stories .

York 3 , blades 4 in 81 was brilliant .
Blades 3_2 down with minutes to go and we scored 2 late goals and huge pitch invasion.

Liverpool 1 Blades 2 in 1994. Probably told this tale before but ended up stood on the Kop at Anfield with a scouse mate wearing a Blades shirt under my coat. Had no expectations of anything and sure enough we went 1 down early doors when Rush scored. I then had to watch in barely restrained joy as we came back to win with two goals from Flo. Had to watch all the Blades down the other end going mad while I tried to avoid sudden death and keep my mouth shut. Typical really, the only time I’ve seen us win at Anfield and I can’t celebrate

Liverpool 1 Blades 2 in 1994. Probably told this tale before but ended up stood on the Kop at Anfield with a scouse mate wearing a Blades shirt under my coat. Had no expectations of anything and sure enough we went 1 down early doors when Rush scored. I then had to watch in barely restrained joy as we came back to win with two goals from Flo. Had to watch all the Blades down the other end going mad while I tried to avoid sudden death and keep my mouth shut. Typical really, the only time I’ve seen us win at Anfield and I can’t celebrate
I was also on the Kop, did celebrate the first goal, and was shoved down 15 flights of terracing for my trouble.

We dominated the second half. The most unexpected Blades win I’ve ever seen live.

Another great away performance- the 5-2 win at Rochdale in 2012. I though we were going to get 10 until we brought Flynn and O’Halloran on to give Rochdale a chance.

I was also on the Kop, did celebrate the first goal, and was shoved down 15 flights of terracing for my trouble.

We dominated the second half. The most unexpected Blades win I’ve ever seen live.

Another great away performance- the 5-2 win at Rochdale in 2012. I though we were going to get 10 until we brought Flynn and O’Halloran on to give Rochdale a chance.
I was also the only man in the centenary stand at Anfield bellowing handball when Kirkland handled it in the cup semi. Survived that one thankfully

Burslem Port Vale 0 Sheffield Utd 10 : 10th December 1892 (131 years ago last week)

This remains the only instance of the away team scoring ten goals in a League game.

The Sheffield Telegraph reported : The ground was several inches deep in snow and at the opening of the game, snow was falling heavily. There was only a moderate attendance. Hendry (Blades), losing the toss, had to place his men against the wind. From the start the Blades made tracks for Burslem's goal and in two minutes Drummond opened the scoring. No sooner had the game re-started than the visitors by good passing put on a second, Wallace putting the last touch to the ball. Not to be outdone, Hammond added a third, these three goals being registered in six minutes. It was early apparent that in the heavy snow, the light Burslem men could do nothing at all.... The whole of the visting forwards played a surprisingly fast game on the heavy ground. At half time the score was 5-0 and the goals continued to flow in the second half. After Hammond had scored the ninth goal, the spectators loudly called upon the Sheffielders to make the score into double figures, and it wasn't long before Hammond obliged them. The home supporters obviously didn't intend to feel sorry for themselves, and they had more cause for mirth when a former Burslem player invaded the pitch. He had obviously 'imbibed freely if not wisely', and did his level best to assist his former colleagues by impeding Charlie Howlett, the United keeper. He was ordered off by the referee on several occasions. Ultimately, he was carried off by Billy Hendry and dumped in a heap of snow which no doubt seved to cool his ardour.

Scorers : Drummond, Wallace, Hammond 4, Watson 2, Davies 2

Elsewhere it was reported the Port Vale goalkeeper had lost his spectacles in the mud!

I remember it well, I had to go for a shit and missed the winning goal. 💩

Games that I attended so some obvious omissions. In no particular order...

Norwich - FA Cup. February 18th 1989

Norwich finished 4th in the old 1st Division that year while United were in the 3rd Division. Came from behind twice to level with a goal each from Deane and Agana but didn't quite have enough in the end. Awesome performance though and an indicator of what was to come the following season.

Millwall - Championship. October 18th 2005

Real Madrid in red and white I think Keith Edwards described it as. 2 from Danny Webber, Vincent Pericard and Wayne Quinn.

Arsenal - FA Cup. April 13th 2003

Arguably the only neutral venue game in the 90s that we turned up for. Only the Seaman save and Graham Poll's intervention beat us that day.

Leicester - Division 2. May 5th 1990

Anything need saying?

West Brom - Division 2. August 19th 1989

Not spectacular but unexpected after coming up the previous year and set the tone for the season. Have a memory that the away fan prices were massively hiked on the day (£6?) which caused some unrest.

Ipswich - Division 2. Play off semi final. 14th May 1997

First leg at the Lane had been a draw and we were behind twice but an Andy Walker goal got us through on away goals.
Can only talk of games I went to but Charlton 2 -5 United

a night match was a belter they couldn't cope with James beattie

Grimsby 1 - united 4 -
this was another comfortable win , again I think it was a night match remember Michael brown scoring a screamer from edge of box l

Sheffield Wednesday 1- Sheffield United 3
bobby Davison and all that , school the next day was a brilliant place to be

Back
Top Bottom