Sharp

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So … we’re 1-0 up next season away at, say, Bournemouth, 10 mins to go, vital 3 points on offer. Coming under relentless pressure, players starting to panic a bit. Billy comes on, puts himself about, holds the ball up, draws a few fouls, gets everyone believing again. He offers so much more than just goals. Forget head vs heart, we’d miss him and that’s why we need him for another year. I rest my case m’lud.

So … we’re 1-0 up next season away at, say, Bournemouth, 10 mins to go, vital 3 points on offer. Coming under relentless pressure, players starting to panic a bit. Billy comes on, puts himself about, holds the ball up, draws a few fouls, gets everyone believing again. He offers so much more than just goals. Forget head vs heart, we’d miss him and that’s why we need him for another year. I rest my case m’lud.

That is exactly what McBurnie does except without the additional defensive set piece contributions and occasional goals

Theoretically, we could get Teemu Pukki on a free & pay him similar money for a season. Teemu is 33 yrs old. He scored 10 this season in the champ, 11 before in the PL, and 26 the season before that in the champ.

In the circumstance you discuss, or in a similar situation away at Bournemouth, with 10 mins to go and we're 0-0 or 1-0 down, I know who I'd rather bring on. 🤷‍♂️

Theoretically, we could get Teemu Pukki on a free & pay him similar money for a season. Teemu is 33 yrs old. He scored 10 this season in the champ, 11 before in the PL, and 26 the season before that in the champ.

In the circumstance you discuss, or in a similar situation away at Bournemouth, with 10 mins to go and we're 0-0 or 1-0 down, I know who I'd rather bring on. 🤷‍♂️
I said Teemu Pukki would be worth looking at on here the other day.

Billy was pretty hopeless and out of his depth 3 years ago in the PL, why on earth is he going to be better 3 years later
Agreed. All good things must come to an end.

Same goes for a few others too, who frankly have been out of their depths at Championship level, never mind some of the teams we'll be up against next season.

He might not have much pace and his goal tally isn't what it was, but it's not like we would be relying on him as our first choice striker. If retained, he'd be about 5th choice. He's be on a one-year deal with a reduced wage, and he would pass on his experience to younger players. Barring injuries, he wouldn't even be on the bench. If he was used, it would be for his hold-up play and ability to win free kicks when we are e.g hanging on to a lead.

I expect that Billy will be offered a role along those lines with very reduced terms. It will be up to him whether to stay with us or get more game time at a lower level.

He might not have much pace and his goal tally isn't what it was, but it's not like we would be relying on him as our first choice striker. If retained, he'd be about 5th choice. He's be on a one-year deal with a reduced wage, and he would pass on his experience to younger players. Barring injuries, he wouldn't even be on the bench. If he was used, it would be for his hold-up play and ability to win free kicks when we are e.g hanging on to a lead.

I expect that Billy will be offered a role along those lines with very reduced terms. It will be up to him whether to stay with us or get more game time at a lower level.
I've thought this all along, we offer him a 1 year contract on much reduced wages. The balls in his court then, either accept or move on for more game time and a longer contract.

hes 2 years older now , we domt have the finances for the trailer loads of linament for Sharps joints to stop creaking
all we are saying is give youth a chance

Sharp would be ideal at Doncaster, regular pitch time and slow moving defenders
if bannan can look decent in league one Sharp would look like Haaland in div 2

His Mrs has posted a montage of pictures from his Blades career on Instagram with the caption - "Our Hero"

John Fleck's Mrs has commented underneath with love heart and a sad face.

I fucking love Billy, he's one of my favourite Blades players, period.

Thing is, for every sentimental decision we take, it's one less squad position for our younger prospects, who we're nurturing and turning into very decent footballers.

I know there's the argument for sending them on loan, so it's a difficult one. I'd rather we look to the future because there's a fair chance we go down next season, and Billy ain't gonna be part of our plans 2024/25.

I fucking love Billy, he's one of my favourite Blades players, period.

Thing is, for every sentimental decision we take, it's one less squad position for our younger prospects, who we're nurturing and turning into very decent footballers.

I know there's the argument for sending them on loan, so it's a difficult one. I'd rather we look to the future because there's a fair chance we go down next season, and Billy ain't gonna be part of our plans 2024/25.
If we were giving those kids 10-15 mins every game then that would be fine, for me Billy doesn’t need to play every game, we have enough room on a bench to have one option for a striker to come ok and try and grab a win/draw, one chance or even just to try and hold up play

For me, if we don’t have much money, then 1 year wages on Billy will be cheaper than some other target who just ends up on bench

Sentiment or not, Jebbo and Osula are future. But will they be better options next year in that limited role ??

And if not then what?? How much do you spend on this role

If we were giving those kids 10-15 mins every game then that would be fine, for me Billy doesn’t need to play every game, we have enough room on a bench to have one option for a striker to come ok and try and grab a win/draw, one chance or even just to try and hold up play

For me, if we don’t have much money, then 1 year wages on Billy will be cheaper than some other target who just ends up on bench

Sentiment or not, Jebbo and Osula are future. But will they be better options next year in that limited role ??

And if not then what?? How much do you spend on this role
That’s what his role was last season and it returned a grand total of 2 goals. As raw as they are both Jebbo and Osula are better options than Sharp for this coming season. Both stronger and faster than him.

It would be nice to have them both get a championship loan, but we are not in a position to do that.

I suppose the question is also, if Sharp stays then how much are you prepared to pay him?

Don't want to leave a sour taste for him or the club. But I don't see how you start paying someone over a million a year to be a Cheerleader and insurance to have someone as a senior pro around.

Would he willingly accept 10k per week and be one of the lowest paid PL players?

It's not that straightforward.

I can’t see it happening if it does then it is a massive u-turn from the club. Should have official news on it this week.

That’s what his role was last season and it returned a grand total of 2 goals. As raw as they are both Jebbo and Osula are better options than Sharp for this coming season. Both stronger and faster than him.

It would be nice to have them both get a championship loan, but we are not in a position to do that.
Oh yeh, not disagreeing. But we don’t know what tactics will be this year, last year we were dominant team for most games possession wise, tough to beat, next year we won’t and we may find ourselves in far more games where with 10 mins to go we need a goal, maybe next season we might hurry it up a bit more who knows

Not disagreeing about either of the two lads being better options if you are talking starting games, but if you are behind most games with 10 mins left are you really going to argue they are better options in terms of just get 1 chance in the box ??

Oh yeh, not disagreeing. But we don’t know what tactics will be this year, last year we were dominant team for most games possession wise, tough to beat, next year we won’t and we may find ourselves in far more games where with 10 mins to go we need a goal, maybe next season we might hurry it up a bit more who knows

Not disagreeing about either of the two lads being better options if you are talking starting games, but if you are behind most games with 10 mins left are you really going to argue they are better options in terms of just get 1 chance in the box ??
Think the type of chances we my get to knick a late goal will be from a ball over the top rather than working an opportunity in the box. So again the 2 younger lads may be the better option.

Unless another owner comes in to aid in transfers we’re going to be watching all of the pennies not just some are we prepared to pay a player knowing that the chances of playing him are very low? Selling the club to a new owner that’s prepared to spend more money would change the outlook but atm we can’t afford the sentimental risk.

Think the type of chances we my get to knick a late goal will be from a ball over the top rather than working an opportunity in the box. So again the 2 younger lads may be the better option.
Whilst we have McBurnie I reckon it might be more of a long hoof into box

If we need a goal last ten in prem league I don’t see ball over top catching defences out, who knows

I still think Brewster will come good, and may prove a decent partner for Illy,
I think we should keep Illy & realise he will go for nowt at the end of his contract, but should do enough for us to stay up.
Staying up is worth more to us than a £20m transfer fee for Ndiaye this season

I really like Billy Sharp, but in the scenario you describe there, he gives away a needless free kick on the halfway line, and Bournemouth score from the resultant big lump into the box.

The best thing for the club and Osula/Jebbo would be for them to go out on loan for the season. They're both far too raw. Sure, they could stay and maybe get bits and pieces of game time but their development needs regular football. Realistically, they're unlikely to make the difference next season but if they're both raring to go for the next one that would be great for the club.

Which would leave us with:

McBurnie
Ndiaye

Brewster

If Brewster isn't going to be fit, then we're very short. There's an argument that says keep Sharp as long as he'd take a low wage, but I don't buy the coaching role. We have Lester as our attacking coach.

I'd prefer Pukki, but Sharp would be cheaper, I guess.

He's not done much this season and will be a lot less effective against the better defenders in the top flight.

It's a no fucking way from me but we might be short on options.

Back
Top Bottom