D
Deleted member 1486
Guest
Times reporting this:
A man has been arrested on suspicion of assault after the Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp was headbutted by a pitch invader following his side’s play-off semi final defeat by Nottingham Forest.
Thousands of Forest fans piled onto the City Ground pitch after their side prevailed in a penalty shoot-out, with United having won the second leg 2-1 to level the tie at 3-3 on aggregate. While most of the supporters invaded the pitch in good spirits, one fan charged at Sharp and allegedly butted him.
Sharp, 36, was left bloodied and needing stitches. He was not in the matchday squad due to a calf injury and was standing in the dugout after the final whistle when the incident occurred.
Forest last night promised to ban the supporter for life, while the Sheffield United manager, Paul Heckingbottom, also urged strong action to be taken. Nottinghamshire Police confirmed on Wednesday that a 31-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of assault.
“He remains in custody and will be questioned by officers,” Chief Inspector Paul Hennessy, of Nottinghamshire Police, said. “Our enquiries into the circumstances surrounding the incident are ongoing. We have spoken to the player concerned and we are working with both clubs who are supporting us with our investigation.”
Sharp, who spent a season on loan at Forest a decade ago, called the supporter a “scumbag” but said he would not let the incident “ruin my respect for the Forest fans”.
“One mindless idiot ruined what was an unbelievable night of football,” Sharp said in social media post. “Congratulations to Nottingham Forest on their victory and good luck in the final. As an ex-Forest player I will not let one scumbag ruin my respect for the Forest fans.
“Incredibly proud to be captain of this group of Sheffield United players, they gave their all and can hold their heads up high. We will be back and go again. Thanks for all your messages and support after the incident.”
The Sheffield United manager Heckingbottom said: “Bill was minding his own business off the pitch, trying to get our players away. He was assaulted on the blind side — cowardly — and knocked to the ground.
“He has had stitches and is shook up. His safety was put at risk at a place of work. We have the footage and something will be done about it.”
Sharp did not feature in the game but was standing on the sideline in a tracksuit when he was attacked.
Forest have condemned the violence and committed to work with the authorities. A statement from the Championship club read: “Nottingham Forest Football Club are appalled to learn that our former player, Billy Sharp, was assaulted leaving the pitch after tonight’s match at the City Ground.
“The club will work with the authorities to locate the individual in order that they are held to account for their actions, which will include a life ban from Nottingham Forest. The club would also like to apologise to Billy personally and to Sheffield United Football Club.”
This was the second night in a row where the post-match scenes overshadowed the action on the pitch in a Championship play-off semi-final.
On Monday, the Luton Town manager, Nathan Jones, dubbed Huddersfield Town fans “an absolute disgrace” after some confronted Jones and his players and others taunted Luton’s 2,000 travelling contingent following their 1-0 defeat in the second leg in Yorkshire.
“Some of them were taunting and abusing our fans. I’ve seen a mother with a little kid, if that was my wife I’d be disgusted,” Jones said.
Nottingham Forest v Sheffield United: Man arrested after Billy Sharp assaulted during pitch invasion
A man has been arrested on suspicion of assault after the Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp was headbutted by a pitch invader following his side’s play-off semi final defeat by Nottingham Forest.
Thousands of Forest fans piled onto the City Ground pitch after their side prevailed in a penalty shoot-out, with United having won the second leg 2-1 to level the tie at 3-3 on aggregate. While most of the supporters invaded the pitch in good spirits, one fan charged at Sharp and allegedly butted him.
Sharp, 36, was left bloodied and needing stitches. He was not in the matchday squad due to a calf injury and was standing in the dugout after the final whistle when the incident occurred.
Forest last night promised to ban the supporter for life, while the Sheffield United manager, Paul Heckingbottom, also urged strong action to be taken. Nottinghamshire Police confirmed on Wednesday that a 31-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of assault.
“He remains in custody and will be questioned by officers,” Chief Inspector Paul Hennessy, of Nottinghamshire Police, said. “Our enquiries into the circumstances surrounding the incident are ongoing. We have spoken to the player concerned and we are working with both clubs who are supporting us with our investigation.”
Sharp, who spent a season on loan at Forest a decade ago, called the supporter a “scumbag” but said he would not let the incident “ruin my respect for the Forest fans”.
“One mindless idiot ruined what was an unbelievable night of football,” Sharp said in social media post. “Congratulations to Nottingham Forest on their victory and good luck in the final. As an ex-Forest player I will not let one scumbag ruin my respect for the Forest fans.
“Incredibly proud to be captain of this group of Sheffield United players, they gave their all and can hold their heads up high. We will be back and go again. Thanks for all your messages and support after the incident.”
The Sheffield United manager Heckingbottom said: “Bill was minding his own business off the pitch, trying to get our players away. He was assaulted on the blind side — cowardly — and knocked to the ground.
“He has had stitches and is shook up. His safety was put at risk at a place of work. We have the footage and something will be done about it.”
Sharp did not feature in the game but was standing on the sideline in a tracksuit when he was attacked.
Forest have condemned the violence and committed to work with the authorities. A statement from the Championship club read: “Nottingham Forest Football Club are appalled to learn that our former player, Billy Sharp, was assaulted leaving the pitch after tonight’s match at the City Ground.
“The club will work with the authorities to locate the individual in order that they are held to account for their actions, which will include a life ban from Nottingham Forest. The club would also like to apologise to Billy personally and to Sheffield United Football Club.”
This was the second night in a row where the post-match scenes overshadowed the action on the pitch in a Championship play-off semi-final.
On Monday, the Luton Town manager, Nathan Jones, dubbed Huddersfield Town fans “an absolute disgrace” after some confronted Jones and his players and others taunted Luton’s 2,000 travelling contingent following their 1-0 defeat in the second leg in Yorkshire.
“Some of them were taunting and abusing our fans. I’ve seen a mother with a little kid, if that was my wife I’d be disgusted,” Jones said.