Shake up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sell or release if not.

lundstram
Rodwell
Robinson
Verrips
Foderingham
Mousset
Stevens

Sell but if not keep
Lowe
Smith
Slater
Eastwood

keep but don’t offer a new deal
Sharp
Mcgoldrick
Basham
Norwood

Good players but sell at the right price
Egan
Baldock
Osborn
Fleck
Burke
Bryan
RND

Players we should be looking to build around only sell for an exceptional offer

Berge
Bogle
Brewster
Ramsdale
Mcburnie
JoC
I like these categories better ... and agree with most 👍

Wilder mentioned faces coming in... and more importantly going out! So I wanted to know who you’d be getting rid of. This is how I see things...

Sell/Release
Lunny
Rodwell
Robinson
McBurnie
Mousett

Let contract run down
Didzy
Sharp
Stevens
Basham
Norwood

Keep at all costs
Ramsdale
Baldock
Bogle
O’Connell
Egan
Osborn
Fleck
Berge
Brewster
Burke

Short term deals
Lowe
Bryan
Jags (player/coach)

The squad is good enough for the Champ in my opinion. But the focus should be with one eye on the future at the highest level. It seems Wilder is a fan of McBurnie so can’t see him leaving. And nobody is gonna pay 10mil for Mousett. As it stands I’d take the hit.
Of course you never know how things will go. I for one have been pleasantly surprised by Bryan for example. And if Burke doesn’t come good in the Champ then there’s no point holding onto him looking the other way.
Thoughts?
Brewster and Burke. Two non scoring strikers to be kept at all costs?

Form is temporary........
Class is also unfortunately temporary. I don’t think anyone questions whether Stevens in his prime and at his peak is a very accomplished player and good enough for this level it’s just whether that is still in his locker. He’s looked leggy and tired this season as well as just generally error prone. Now there are mitigating factors of course shortened offseason being one but he’s no spring chicken either so it’s not a given that he’ll return to his previous heights after a break. I think his position as a starter next season is certainly under threat at minimum.

Jesus! I’m just spit balling here! I probably should’ve considered my choice of phrase better.
But whilst we’re hovering around the subject... yes Burke, he’s been one of our most influential attacking players. He offers a dimension that non of our other forwards offer.
Burke: raw pace and power
Sharp: finisher
Didzy: link up play
McB: unknown
Mousett: pace, power, finishing... but he’s always injured.
Brewster: could be all of the above but not quite there yet
Are you serious with that?
Burke is our most influential attacking player.

This is a new low for me to read on here.

Wilder mentioned faces coming in... and more importantly going out! So I wanted to know who you’d be getting rid of. This is how I see things...

Sell/Release
Lunny
Rodwell
Robinson
McBurnie
Mousett

Let contract run down
Didzy
Sharp
Stevens
Basham
Norwood

Keep at all costs
Ramsdale
Baldock
Bogle
O’Connell
Egan
Osborn
Fleck
Berge
Brewster
Burke

Short term deals
Lowe
Bryan
Jags (player/coach)

The squad is good enough for the Champ in my opinion. But the focus should be with one eye on the future at the highest level. It seems Wilder is a fan of McBurnie so can’t see him leaving. And nobody is gonna pay 10mil for Mousett. As it stands I’d take the hit.
Of course you never know how things will go. I for one have been pleasantly surprised by Bryan for example. And if Burke doesn’t come good in the Champ then there’s no point holding onto him looking the other way.
Thoughts?
Agree with most of that, but despite their age, we can't let go of Bash or Didzy. If we were staying in the premier league I'd maybe agree to make an upgrade. But they are our 2 outstanding players in a torrid season, so would expect them to perform admirably in the championship.

Are you serious with that?
Burke is our most influential attacking player.

This is a new low for me to read on here.
He’s been ‘one of the’ most influential yes (like I originally stated) More effective than McB, Brewster and Mousett.
Didzy has been the most influential.

He’s been ‘one of the’ most influential yes (like I originally stated) More effective than McB, Brewster and Mousett.
Didzy has been the most influential.
I’m always shocked when I come on here.

I reckon that from Didzy and Sharp's point of view the term 'every cloud.....' is quite significant for them. I believe had we managed to stay in the Prem they would have probably retired from 1st team football with SUFC. The fact we will soon become a Champ team they will believe, as I do, that they will enjoy a further year of playing a very important role within the squad, even though probably just as back up and Club captain.

I'd keep McBurnie, he's proven he's a good championship striker. So I wouldn't be selling for a big loss, when we're dropping down a league.
Berge I really rate, but I'd actually consider cashing in on him, if the money is right. I think he'll be great for someone, but can't help but feeling we could bring in someone more attacking minded for quite a bit less money.
As for Lowe, do we even need him? Unless we can sell Stevens, we have: Enda, RND and Osborn. One of them needs selling.
He might have been a good championship striker
but not in our system he won’t be

He might have been a good championship striker
but not in our system he won’t be

I disagree.
Fans seem to have very short memories when it comes to how wilder sets us up. In our last seeson in the championship we commited men forward and played it into feet, the long ball was only ever last resort. All of which suits McBurnie. The only thing he doesn't possess is rapid pace, but we've never been a counter attacking side, so I don't see that being an issue.

We won't be going into championship games with the same approach we've seen in the Premier league. We'll almost certainly be changing the midfield.
We potentially have an incredibly potent championship strike force. We still have the same defence that went up with the best record in the league and have proven capable in the Premier league.
Just the midfield and cover for centre backs. Other than that we have a good championship team..

One that should be capable of challenging for promotion.

Madine was a Loan, Hanson cost around £250k .

We Bought Mcburnie to score goals, he did that at Swansea because they played a certain way, If we are not going to play a way that suit's him to get the best chance of him scoring goals, i.e not having to drop deep, and we just use him as a go Too, then it's a £20mill expensive go too.
Exactly my take.

If Mousset proves hard to shift on for a reasonable fee I wonder... could we cut a deal with Beerschot to loan Mousset across in exchange for having Coulibaly back here?

This way we avoid burning bridges, and it might do Lys wonders building fitness closer to home... we might also end up with more money in the end when he tears up the Belgian Pro League

For me, the keep at all costs lists should only be players who would be good enough in the top flight.

So, I'd probably say, the must keep list is Egan and Ramsdale. I'm a bit reluctant with JoC because without him our manager would actually have to consider changing the system. Also, you never know how someone recovers from a serious knee injury. Not the fault of the player but there we are. I think it's important to keep Bash as well for the Championship, but not maybe as a starter for every game.

No other player is a must keep, at the moment. No other player has shown over two years that they can compete at a top half premier league level.

Players like Baldock and Fleck would be good to have next season but if someone want to come and give us £10 million + then I think we should let them go.
Why do we need players with top PL level ability? Are we getting promoted to this new super league or relegated to the Championship?

We 'must keep' about 15 players out of the current squad otherwise we won't have a team or the resources to replace those we lose. You can't just get rid of a player and find a cheap alternative whilst expecting to perform well.

Look at Bolton this season, signed around 20 players having kept hardly any from the previous regime. Had a shocking start to the season but are now performing well. If we did that next season it would be shoes off in the car park by the end of August.

Why do we need players with top PL level ability? Are we getting promoted to this new super league or relegated to the Championship?

We 'must keep' about 15 players out of the current squad otherwise we won't have a team or the resources to replace those we lose. You can't just get rid of a player and find a cheap alternative whilst expecting to perform well.

Look at Bolton this season, signed around 20 players having kept hardly any from the previous regime. Had a shocking start to the season but are now performing well. If we did that next season it would be shoes off in the car park by the end of August.

We don't, but we do need players with the potential to play at that level. We know we can't buy Premier League ready players while we're in the Premier League. I'm not saying sell everyone. I'm saying we need to look at improving most positions in the next 2/3 years. That could be bringing someone like Bogle in who can compete with whoever already is playing in that position or players we can gradually bring through. This is will likely involve running contracts down as opposed to selling, in most cases.

Sell/release

Rodwell
Foderigham
Verrips
Moore
Lundstram
Robinson
Norwood
Stevens
Fleck
Mousset

Id replace them all except Moore and Verrips, dont need 5 goalkeepers ffs

Assuming we're in a Champ next season (we will be)

Keep:Keep with a caveat:Off Load for the best deal all round:
Ramsdale
Verrips
Bogle
Low
Egan
Basham
O'Connell
Baldock
Fleck
Berge
McGoldrick
Sharp
Brewster
McBurnie
Osborne
Bryan
Norwood (can do it on occasion, but I don't think we can rely on him consistently)

Jags (I'd keep him around if wages were low enough but he should be 3rd choice, for his position, at the highest)

Burke - Need to see a Sport Psychologist to develop a sense of doing the right thing in the critical moments

Mousset - On his day, incredible, but if we keep hold of him we HAVE to figure out how to keep him fit.

Foderingham
Moore
Robinson
Rodwell
Lundstram
Stevens

I agree about McBurnie. He is one of the few we have that can control the ball, fend off opponents and then pass to one of us.
Problem is we use him as a target man with no other support so he looks lost at times.
He is a much better footballer than many on here think
McBurnie's ineffectiveness has been more to do with the fact that our midfield have been crap this season and there has been little or no service of any quality to the strikers.
Flecky was kidnapped by aliens for 5 months, Lundstram hasn't put in more than 5% effort for the whole season, and Norwood isn't up to the rigors of the PL.
UTB & FTP

We don't, but we do need players with the potential to play at that level. We know we can't buy Premier League ready players while we're in the Premier League. I'm not saying sell everyone. I'm saying we need to look at improving most positions in the next 2/3 years. That could be bringing someone like Bogle in who can compete with whoever already is playing in that position or players we can gradually bring through. This is will likely involve running contracts down as opposed to selling, in most cases.
It's a tricky one. A number of our players are good enough for the championship and hopefully good enough to mount a promotion bid, as they have previously. However, very few are good enough for the PL, per this season. So were we to go up we'd have to replace the majority, or accept a fate of likely being relegated again.

It's a tricky one. A number of our players are good enough for the championship and hopefully good enough to mount a promotion bid, as they have previously. However, very few are good enough for the PL, per this season. So were we to go up we'd have to replace the majority, or accept a fate of likely being relegated again.

Agreed, it's an incredibly difficult ask. I guess all we can hope for in the short-term is to yo-yo. Without a competitive Academy we'll never stay up. We can't afford or attract a competitive squad. We need to be able to fill the gaps with our own.

Sell or release if not.

lundstram
Rodwell
Robinson
Verrips
Foderingham
Mousset

Stevens

Sell but if not keep
Lowe
Smith
Slater
Eastwood

keep but don’t offer a new deal
Sharp
Mcgoldrick
Basham
Norwood

Good players but sell at the right price
Egan
Baldock
Osborn
Fleck
Burke
Bryan
RND

Players we should be looking to build around only sell for an exceptional offer

Berge
Bogle
Brewster
Ramsdale
Mcburnie
JoC
The ones crossed out should be sold or released. All others should be kept.

Back
Top Bottom