Shake up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CoatesyBlade

Reaction score
Wilder mentioned faces coming in... and more importantly going out! So I wanted to know who you’d be getting rid of. This is how I see things...

Sell/Release
Lunny
Rodwell
Robinson
McBurnie
Mousett

Let contract run down
Didzy
Sharp
Stevens
Basham
Norwood

Keep at all costs
Ramsdale
Baldock
Bogle
O’Connell
Egan
Osborn
Fleck
Berge
Brewster
Burke

Short term deals
Lowe
Bryan
Jags (player/coach)

The squad is good enough for the Champ in my opinion. But the focus should be with one eye on the future at the highest level. It seems Wilder is a fan of McBurnie so can’t see him leaving. And nobody is gonna pay 10mil for Mousett. As it stands I’d take the hit.
Of course you never know how things will go. I for one have been pleasantly surprised by Bryan for example. And if Burke doesn’t come good in the Champ then there’s no point holding onto him looking the other way.
Thoughts?

I'd keep McBurnie, he's proven he's a good championship striker. So I wouldn't be selling for a big loss, when we're dropping down a league.
Berge I really rate, but I'd actually consider cashing in on him, if the money is right. I think he'll be great for someone, but can't help but feeling we could bring in someone more attacking minded for quite a bit less money.
As for Lowe, do we even need him? Unless we can sell Stevens, we have: Enda, RND and Osborn. One of them needs selling.

Why on earth would you want to keep Burke at all costs?

Hos dubious footballing abilities are going to be even less useful with teams sitting deeper against us next season. Sure, he will hassle and make mistakes but we could literally sign a sprinter to do that. If we played wingers, then maybe.

He must be on good money since WBA paid a fair whack for him and he has played for a few big teams.

Last edited:
we have to lose 2 lwb 4 is far too many for the championship stevens has to go rnd has to come back and i think of the other 2 i would just favour keeping osborn over lowe primarily because he can cover lm as well 3 new midfielders definetly needed im hoping we can get coubilaly back over here he looks a good prospect

Why on earth would you want to keep Burke at all costs?

Hos dubious footballing abilities are going to be even less useful with teams sitting deeper against us next season. Sure, he will hassle and make mistakes but we could literally sign a sprinter to do that. If we played wingers, then maybe.
Have to agree and I've been a big supporter of Burke in the past but teams parking the bus against us isn't going to suit Burkes game.

I would swap Bryan into keep basket as definitely good enough to be JOCs understudy for championship

For me, the keep at all costs lists should only be players who would be good enough in the top flight.

So, I'd probably say, the must keep list is Egan and Ramsdale. I'm a bit reluctant with JoC because without him our manager would actually have to consider changing the system. Also, you never know how someone recovers from a serious knee injury. Not the fault of the player but there we are. I think it's important to keep Bash as well for the Championship, but not maybe as a starter for every game.

No other player is a must keep, at the moment. No other player has shown over two years that they can compete at a top half premier league level.

Players like Baldock and Fleck would be good to have next season but if someone want to come and give us £10 million + then I think we should let them go.

“The hand that I have been given at the moment is a pretty tough one with some of the players that we have to go with."

Wilders quote after the Southampton game.

I would suggest Bryan to be the only “squad” player that started yesterday yet he was one of the better performers. He brought all the other players to BDTBL yet moans about their suitability to do the job.
Yes we are missing some better players primarily at the back but I would suggest with the exception of Berge that was his first choice midfield and who knows his first choice strike force as we never settle long enough to create some consistency and pattern of play. Yet we created absolutely diddly squat.

Ok ... the players I’d want to keep is where I’d put Burke haha

I'd keep McBurnie, he's proven he's a good championship striker. So I wouldn't be selling for a big loss, when we're dropping down a league.
Berge I really rate, but I'd actually consider cashing in on him, if the money is right. I think he'll be great for someone, but can't help but feeling we could bring in someone more attacking minded for quite a bit less money.
As for Lowe, do we even need him? Unless we can sell Stevens, we have: Enda, RND and Osborn. One of them needs selling.

Agree...about McBurnie.....many seem to think "get rid" because he's struggled at PL level
but next season we will be in the Championship not the PL....and he's proven himself to be an excellent performer and big asset at that level.

I suppose in reality a lot depends on the bids we receive.
Every player should be open to offers. Some might say "no...we can never sell O'Connell" and I tend to agree
but if we receive a 25 million bid...then it might be best to sell him....balance the books and use 15 million to strengthen other areas...like midfield.

Keep Burke at all costs. WOW
Jesus! I’m just spit balling here! I probably should’ve considered my choice of phrase better.
But whilst we’re hovering around the subject... yes Burke, he’s been one of our most influential attacking players. He offers a dimension that non of our other forwards offer.
Burke: raw pace and power
Sharp: finisher
Didzy: link up play
McB: unknown
Mousett: pace, power, finishing... but he’s always injured.
Brewster: could be all of the above but not quite there yet

Why would you get rid of Mcburnie?
He’s proven he can score goals in championship and Wilder always has a big striker to go too. I.e Madine Hanson
I think we look terrible whenever he plays. He’s not what we need if we want to get back to playing good attacking football... in my opinion of course. Would be more than happy to be proven wrong by him 👍

He’s proven he can score goals in championship and Wilder always has a big striker to go too. I.e Madine Hanson
Because he's absolutely shite. Thats why. & even if he does score goals next season and we get promoted he is absolutley 150% nowhere near good enough for the Premier League.

Because he's absolutely shite. Thats why. & even if he does score goals next season and we get promoted he is absolutley 150% nowhere near good enough for the Premier League.
You can argue that the vast majority of our squad is no where near good for the Premier League. We have to get out of the championship first .

I honestly think most people don't even think about this consideration. We'll be back to needing to spend 20 odd million on unproven strikers again if we do go up.

mcburnie always played in a front 3 at swansea he doesnt fit our system although im biased i dont rate him at all any decent offer comes in i would sell

I honestly think most people don't even think about this consideration. We'll be back to needing to spend 20 odd million on unproven strikers again if we do go up.

100% in agreement. What we need to put in place next season is a younger team, that can win promotion and return to the PL more competent and able than the one that is going down this season. That is why players like ES should be replaced with RND, without a moments thought or sentiment.

Wilder mentioned faces coming in... and more importantly going out! So I wanted to know who you’d be getting rid of. This is how I see things...

Sell/Release
Lunny
Rodwell
Robinson
McBurnie
Mousett

Let contract run down
Didzy
Sharp
Stevens
Basham
Norwood

Keep at all costs
Ramsdale
Baldock
Bogle
O’Connell
Egan
Osborn
Fleck
Berge
Brewster
Burke

Short term deals
Lowe
Bryan
Jags (player/coach)

The squad is good enough for the Champ in my opinion. But the focus should be with one eye on the future at the highest level. It seems Wilder is a fan of McBurnie so can’t see him leaving. And nobody is gonna pay 10mil for Mousett. As it stands I’d take the hit.
Of course you never know how things will go. I for one have been pleasantly surprised by Bryan for example. And if Burke doesn’t come good in the Champ then there’s no point holding onto him looking the other way.
Thoughts?
Sell or release if not.

lundstram
Rodwell
Robinson
Verrips
Foderingham
Mousset
Stevens

Sell but if not keep
Lowe
Smith
Slater
Eastwood

keep but don’t offer a new deal
Sharp
Mcgoldrick
Basham
Norwood

Good players but sell at the right price
Egan
Baldock
Osborn
Fleck
Burke
Bryan
RND

Players we should be looking to build around only sell for an exceptional offer

Berge
Bogle
Brewster
Ramsdale
Mcburnie
JoC

I agree about McBurnie. He is one of the few we have that can control the ball, fend off opponents and then pass to one of us.
Problem is we use him as a target man with no other support so he looks lost at times.
He is a much better footballer than many on here think

100% in agreement. What we need to put in place next season is a younger team, that can win promotion and return to the PL more competent and able than the one that is going down this season. That is why players like ES should be replaced with RND, without a moments thought or sentiment.

Personally, I think it's a two-year job, at the earliest. There are just too many new players who need to come in. We need to put as much effort into dragging the youth team and training facilities up as well. Not to mention the scouting side.

We went up so quickly that we never had the foundations in place and we've seen how easily it crumbled.

Exactly this, but I think it maybe a few years in the making. What is for certain is we have to buy for the Premier League whilst we‘re in the Championship and replace those who have shown this season, that they are miles off the required standard.

Keepers:
Ramsdale will be undisputed number 1. Foderingham and one of Verrips or Moore for back up, offload the other. Basically, GK is not a problem.

Defence:
Hinges on Egan and JOC. Ideally would both stay, but if one or both did leave, then the good news is that the fee we should command for either SHOULD fund a proper replacement and possibly leave some money left over. I would hope we already have contingency plans as in targets lined up already for this scenario.

Basham will be fine as usual. Kean Bryan has shown enough to suggest he will be worth keeping around as cover. Robinson isn't awful for that level. I’d say we could do with a right sided addition as CB cover/competition for Bash and cover for Egan assuming Jagielka leaves.

LWB should be fine; RND and Osborn should cover it; I wouldn’t totally rule out Enda either- a drop in division might benefit him. Same with Lowe, although he might be one to loan out or move on.

RWB is solid if we hold onto both Baldock or Bogle; but like the Egan/JOC scenario, if either was sold, we should get a hefty fee for them and be able to replace them with some quality.

So defensively we should be okay if we’ve planned ahead and have a list of possible replacements for certain players.

Midfield:
Fleck stays as probably the only starter from the current lot. I’d also hang on to Norwood as like others, a drop in division might revitalise him and we do need a lot of newbies here, so can’t lose everyone. Osborn is great as cover (although I’d be using him LWB personally). Obviously Ludstram is gone.

But this is where the money gets spent. Sell Berge. I like him. Got nothing against him, but he’ll want to go and we’ll want to use the money. Suits both parties.

Take that money, plus any parachute money made available and get in a couple of quality, attack minded players. I dont care where from. Maybe Coulibaly can be one? I don't know enough about him. But this is where we should look to spend the bulk of any money available.

I’d also look to sign an experienced old Champ level battler on a years deal to come in on certain games and when we need a bit of steel in there to see games out.

Strikers:
I think McBurnie will be good (if we use him properly). McGoldrick will be very useful as well.

Brewster could be amazing, but could also be... not amazing. Either way, we may as well give him a good go because he’s going nowhere.

Billy will have a role to play, even if its just as an impact sub with the occasional start. I’m also not averse to Burke as an impact sub. Chuck him on as a cat amongst the pigeons type if we either need to cause havoc or as an outlet if we’re holding into a lead.

So for me, that means one in, one out upfront. Mousset out (if we can). Get what we can for him- his fee was paid off with his goals securing a second PL season. Offload him and bring in someone with genuine pace. Again, I don't care where from- there are a lot more knowledgable people than me on here with ideas.

So all in all, other than the midfield, I don’t think we need too much; a bit of cover/strengthening here and there and a contingency plan in case we lose one of a handful of vital players.

Supplement all of the above with a sprinkling of the youth coming through, add a couple of decent loans (surely our record with Henderson and Ampadu will stand us in good stead?) and its maybe not as massive a rebuild as we think. A lot of our players will benefit from the drop in level as well.

The good news is that the quality players we might lose- Egan, JOC, Berge, Bogle and Baldock - are all locked into long term contracts meaning we should be able to command good fees and replace them properly if they are to go. Good work from both CW and the board for covering that.

Short term deals
Lowe
Bryan
Jags (player/coach)
It was reported that Lowe signed a 4 year deal last summer.

Mcburnie was ok when he came on yesterday, dropping deep

Madine was a Loan, Hanson cost around £250k .

We Bought Mcburnie to score goals, he did that at Swansea because they played a certain way, If we are not going to play a way that suit's him to get the best chance of him scoring goals, i.e not having to drop deep, and we just use him as a go Too, then it's a £20mill expensive go too.

Back
Top Bottom