Set pieces

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To my untrained eye, they've just simplified & uncluttered corner routines. Have a main target (for eg Egan). Decide whether it's a back post or near post pattern. Put a one man screen on Egan (Morgan Gibbs-White at Hull). By all means have a few other blockers, but just cannon fodder. Egan (or similar) runs the pattern. Ball in to the right area. I love that.

Really happy it was Egan on end of em. There must have been points last season and this when’s he’s told his fellow centre half not to bother putting shirt on cus he might as well play on his tod

To my untrained eye, they've just simplified & uncluttered corner routines. Have a main target (for eg Egan). Decide whether it's a back post or near post pattern. Put a one man screen on Egan (Morgan Gibbs-White at Hull). By all means have a few other blockers, but just cannon fodder. Egan (or similar) runs the pattern. Ball in to the right area. I love that.
Such a simple part of the game that can be so rewarding, for too long corners have held absolutely zero anticipation.

Aye. There is that. But there's also the fact that the ball was put where the red and white shirts actually are or are running into rather than Fleck's and Norwood's which either hit the front stick defender or are floated over everyone's heads.

My coach back in the day said that crossed corners have three targets, all in an area drawn from posts to penalty spot. The more driven the corner, the more chance it has being successful and it needs to never be more than nine feet off the deck at any time. He also coached us also on box tactics working on defenders and the keeper. Egan's break off steering his marker into Billy was a classic one.

Just goes to show what can be done.

pommpey

Aye. There is that. But there's also the fact that the ball was put where the red and white shirts actually are or are running into rather than Fleck's and Norwood's which either hit the front stick defender or are floated over everyone's heads.

My coach back in the day said that crossed corners have three targets, all in an area drawn from posts to penalty spot. The more driven the corner, the more chance it has being successful and it needs to never be more than nine feet off the deck at any time. He also coached us also on box tactics working on defenders and the keeper. Egan's break off steering his marker into Billy was a classic one.

Just goes to show what can be done.

pommpey

To be fair, the corner for Egan's second didn't beat the first man. It's just that Egan got in there first. If Egan hadn't made that run (or had been blocked), we wouldn't all been moaning at it not beating the first man.

I've said before that the 'not beating the first man' is a bit of a fallacy. As you say, the best corners need to be driven and not go above nine feet at any point. By the law of averages, this means that some will inevitably hit the first man. But the ones that just skim over the first man will be horribly dangerous. Much better than the safe waftey type corners that keepers eat up for breakfast.

Attacking football always needs a bit of risk, and that's what we were so badly lacking last season. In the first half at Hull, we gave the ball away very softly many times, mainly through players trying quick first time passes without looking. However, that's exactly how Slav wants us to play (not the giving the ball away, obviously, but the brave, quick passes forward). It won't always work out, but we (the crowd) need to be patient on the occasions when it doesn't come off. Either way, it's infinitely better than the turgid safe stuff from last season and the first quartet of games this year.

Near post corners should be worked on relentlessly. If you aim there and it works, good. If you hit a poor one (see Hourihane first half and Norwood and Fleck all season) you have an idea what to do with it.
The surprising thing about our corners yesterday was how few men we had in the box. Only three for the first goal. It just shows you that movement and the quality of the ball is paramount.

Interesting that Sharp mentioned they had been working on dead ball routines. Makes you wonder if we ever worked on specifics before or was it just try abd get them in the box after a few step overs etc

Interesting that Sharp mentioned they had been working on dead ball routines. Makes you wonder if we ever worked on specifics before or was it just try abd get them in the box after a few step overs etc
We definitely needed to work on them. Set pieces have been an issue at both ends of the pitch for too long.

I'm struggling to recall ever seeing defending of the type Hull performed at corners. It was genuinely laughable.

Remarkable we did so well in the air because they had plenty of height in their team.

Egan’s run and flicked header for the 3rd. was outstanding .

Deano himself would have been proud of that .

Back
Top Bottom