Season over - final positions?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

How can it be fair to treat one team different to others?

How can you have a play off system if we aren’t allowed to play games?

I think you’re missing the point. You have to introduce a system that treats all teams equally - then you award the prizes and hand out the relegations. In that order.
There is no real fair solution other than finishing the fixtures. A play off system could reduce the amount needed to play and if that was to happen then treating everyone equally would be more unfair given the games already played.

There is only one fair way of treating all clubs equal and that’s by finishing the season. Any other way will just leave some clubs being shafted.

The season is too far gone to turn back now, it has to finish.

I agree. Even if Next season starts in October it’s surely better than having a null and void season.

Surely starting the next season late is better than scrapping what clubs and players have put their heart and soul into.

Of course that's the only genuine fair way but if the season playing itself out is not an option then what?

It just carries on where it left off. The only way that wouldn’t work is if the delay is a year or more, by which time players contracts (and age!) could mean that they are no longer the same squads.

Surely its pretty clear that the season must be finished. Euro 2020 will be moved until next year and the remaining league games can be finished during that window. If the virus isn't under control in order for this to happen then we wait until it is. Next season can then be adapted to fit the timescale that is left, whether that be removing domestic or European cup competitions and / or reducing the fixtures in half. At least that way all teams will be fully aware of what each competition entails before it starts.

You cannot change the rules and move the goalposts 2/3 of the way through a competition as it simply makes the result null and void. It cannot be assumed that Leeds would be promoted this season as past evidence shows that they always bottle it. You cannot assume that Norwich would not escape from the bottom three and you cannot assume that Liverpool would win the two games that they need for the title. The seasons have to finish.

Why do people seem to think we would be happy to take a Europa League finish?

I'm 99% sure that Wilder and the players will be targeting a Champions League spot from the position we're in and the games we have left.

There is no real fair solution other than finishing the fixtures. A play off system could reduce the amount needed to play and if that was to happen then treating everyone equally would be more unfair given the games already played.

Wow! That really is Irish logic at its best eh?

😃

What happened during the World Wars? I think I remember reading that the season was suspended during WW2. I don't think it ever got finished. After the war it just returned to how it was before. There was no promotion or relegation. Effectively null and voided the interrupted season.

What happened during the World Wars? I think I remember reading that the season was suspended during WW2. I don't think it ever got finished. After the war it just returned to how it was before. There was no promotion or relegation. Effectively null and voided the interrupted season.
1914-15 season, we carried on with the league and FA Cup (we won the cup!). Three games were played in 1939-40 before it was cancelled

You would rather the season was null and void rather than us finish 5th. I don’t get the logic.
If 5th wasn’t rewarded with European football, it
may as well be 9th or 10th really.

If 5th wasn’t rewarded with European football, it
may as well be 9th or 10th really.

There is a about £20m difference betseen 5th and 10th.

plus if the season is voided it may be we get no TV money at all for the year, we HRH can’t buys the assets of McCabe and we have all that shit again.

There is a about £20m difference betseen 5th and 10th.

plus if the season is voided it may be we get no TV money at all for the year, we HRH can’t buys the assets of McCabe and we have all that shit again.
Far too sensible post HG. ;)

I seriously don’t think I’d ever get over the fact we missed out on a season in Europe, especially if this season turned out to be a one off

You have to admit, it would be funny to see Liverpool & Leeds fans get their knickers in a twist though!?

1914-15 season, we carried on with the league and FA Cup (we won the cup!). Three games were played in 1939-40 before it was cancelled
I knew you was older, look you remember winning cup in 1915 lol

Though i do think our match v Villa should be played [behind closed doors if necessary
so we have played the same number of games

Yes absolutely. What a game that would be.

An alternative solution would be to base the table on Points Per Game instead of overall points - essentially all that would change is that we would overtake Wolves, and Arsenal would overtake Spurs, which would go down well in Tottenham. Villa would still go down :)

No it’s not the only fair way. In fact it’s very unfair in some ways because it permits some clubs to carry on playing and others not. That opens the door to all clubs wanting to finish their fixtures.

Either all clubs are allowed to complete their fixtures or none are. That’s fair. And in the case of clubs having played unequal number of games an average points total based on total games played / total points gained is THE only fair way of settling this.

I don't think an average points total based on games played to date is very fair because the difficulty of teams faced to date varies from team to team. For instance, teams that have not yet played Liverpool, Leicester and Manchester City for a second time would gain an unfair advantage over sides that might have already played all of those sides twice (or maybe two of them) already.

Brighton have to play all 3 of those sides whereas West Ham don't have to play any of them. And at the other end of the table, Chelsea still have Liverpool and Manchester City to play whereas ourselves, Manchester United and Spurs have played both of those sides twice.

Perhaps this season continues into late 2020 and then the new season is in a one off format of North and South, no promotion or relegation in the top 4 divisions.

Fewer fixtures, shorter season, more derbies, less travel.

Premier league of 2 divisions of 10 winners face off in a Superbowl type play off.

Same for each of the top 4 divisions.

A cup competition can be concluded, starting with teams from league 2 having play offs, then the winners face league 1 teams, then those winners face championship, etc.

European tournaments are postponed and those who qualified this season get to enter the 21/22 season.

Do the Premier League accept CVs for their chief exec role?

Yes absolutely. What a game that would be.

An alternative solution would be to base the table on Points Per Game instead of overall points - essentially all that would change is that we would overtake Wolves, and Arsenal would overtake Spurs, which would go down well in Tottenham. Villa would still go down :)
Time to bring back the Pools Panel then?

These days there are a lot more sophisticated ways to predict results than a pools panel of biased ex pros and supposed experts. Also, a simple extrapolation of points ignores the actual opposition.

As has been said you really need to take into account the difficulty of the remaining fixtures that each team faces. A simple algorithm that analysed home and away form against the rank of the opposition could easily run through the rest of the season. It would never be right of course - but it would at least be totally objective and based on a set of agreed assumptions.

Unfortunately, the decision will actually be taken by a group who each have their own agenda, which means that the decision won’t be the most sensible one but the one that gives a bad outcome for the smallest number of people. Democracy is not always the answer!

Footballwebpages.co.uk has a very simple model which forecasts us finishing 5th. Pigs are forecast 16th but only 9 points above the drop - so a decent deduction would then see them down!

Last edited:
These days there are a lot more sophisticated ways to predict results than a pools panel of biased ex pros and supposed experts. Also, a simple extrapolation of points ignores the actual opposition.

As has been said you really need to take into account the difficulty of the remaining fixtures that each team faces. A simple algorithm that analysed home and away form against the rank of the opposition could easily run through the rest of the season. It would never be right of course - but it would at least be totally objective and based on a set of agreed assumptions.

Unfortunately, the decision will actually be taken by a group who each have their own agenda, which means that the decision won’t be the most sensible one but the one that gives a bad outcome for the smallest number of people. Democracy is not always the answer!

FFS don't let Lawro and Crooks on that panel, we'll be relegated on 43 points.

The last match will be struck off taking all teams back to 27 played. Champions league here we come.

The last match will be struck off taking all teams back to 27 played. Champions league here we come.

If games cannot be played the fairest thing to do is award all the teams with a game in hand 3 points.

If they decide to end the season I think it's only fair they allow the clubs with games in hand to complete those so that everyone finishes on the same amount of games. Clubs of course play the 1/2/3 games in hand behind closed doors.

I'm not just saying this because we have one and what it could help us achieve but still be nice 😁
Could take it after 28 games then we'd be 5th as man u would lose 3 points
Needs to be an even number of games
Would also put villa above West ham

I don't think an average points total based on games played to date is very fair because the difficulty of teams faced to date varies from team to team. For instance, teams that have not yet played Liverpool, Leicester and Manchester City for a second time would gain an unfair advantage over sides that might have already played all of those sides twice (or maybe two of them) already.

Brighton have to play all 3 of those sides whereas West Ham don't have to play any of them. And at the other end of the table, Chelsea still have Liverpool and Manchester City to play whereas ourselves, Manchester United and Spurs have played both of those sides twice.

Answer below:

That’s also true. But you do realise, with 9/10 games left, most teams have played each other already?

Although who is to say that, in a one off match, one team will prove more difficult an opponent than another? We beat Arsenal but couldn’t beat Watford or Newcastle or Southampton! What does that tell you?

Answer: All games are difficult.

Please suggest a fairer solution then? One that treats all teams exactly the same? I’ll be fascinated to hear that?

Back
Top Bottom