Season over - final positions?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But everyone has different levels of run-in difficulty. If, say, Villa got relegated on goal difference when their rivals still had Liverpool or City away, that would be very harsh. The only fair way is to finish all fixtures.

Of course that's the only genuine fair way but if the season playing itself out is not an option then what?

Why any blade would want this season voided is beyond me...

No matter how long the season is delayed, it must be finished
I agree mate cancel Euro 2020 and let our season end 9 games to go sure we can get them in at some point just not sure when, they reckon April 4th start up is fantasy.

I agree mate cancel Euro 2020 and let our season end 9 games to go sure we can get them in at some point just not sure when, they reckon April 4th start up is fantasy.
According to report (can't remember where!), if teams played mid-weeks, the PL could be finished in 6 weeks :)

Problem is if there is a vote from the clubs I think they will void it and start again.

14 votes in favour from 20 teams is required to pass whatever the proposal is. So if the proposal is that the current league positions are to be the final standings I reckon it will be tight, I have 13 in favour. Maybe Everton might be generous to their city rivals?

For

Liverpool
Chelsea
Leicester
Man U
Wolves
Blades
Burnley
Palace
Newcastle
Southampton
Brighton
West Ham (despite Bradys daft comments)
Watford

Against

Man City
Spurs
Arsenal
Everton
Bournemouth
Aston Villa
Norwich

14 votes in favour from 20 teams is required to pass whatever the proposal is. So if the proposal is that the current league positions are to be the final standings I reckon it will be tight, I have 13 in favour. Maybe Everton might be generous to their city rivals?

For

Liverpool
Chelsea
Leicester
Man U
Wolves
Blades
Burnley
Palace
Newcastle
Southampton
Brighton
Watford

Against

Man City
Spurs
Arsenal
Everton
Bournemouth
Aston Villa
Norwich
No way would Man U vote for Liverpool to win the title. If the vote was to finish the fixtures or void it I would say it would be voided as alot of the teams near the bottom wouldn't want to risk relagation.

No way would Man U vote for Liverpool to win the title. If the vote was to finish the fixtures or void it I would say it would be voided as alot of the teams near the bottom wouldn't want to risk relagation.

Man U would be in the champions league and after the season they have had I think they would snatch that with both hands.

In cricket, if a match can't be finish due to factors outside of anyone's control, they use a formula to decide who wins, effectively based on how well the sides have done up til that point in the match. The teams are all happy with this cos it's what they signed up before the game started.

If you'd asked the teams at the beginning of the season: in the unlikely event that a killer virus means the season has to be suspended three quarters of the way through, and after every effort is made to complete the season, if it's really not possible to finish the season before August, what should be done? I bet ten times out of ten they would all have agreed to settling on the positions of the league at the time of the suspension. Can you imagine them agreeing to just forget the three quarters of the season that have been played and start it all afresh? (hypothetically speaking, obviously).

The stupid thing now is that certain teams have so much to gain or lose from different scenarios that they can't be involved in any kind of objective decision making. See eg Karen Brady.
Though i do think our match v Villa should be played [behind closed doors if necessary
so we have played the same number of games

Man U would be in the champions league and after the season they have had I think they would snatch that with both hands.

Man U are only 5th, if Man City win their appeal, Man U are in Europa again. No way they’d vote to risk that when they have a great of still finishing 4th and winning the Europa League.

For

Liverpool
Chelsea
Leicester
Man U
Wolves
Blades
Burnley
Palace
Newcastle
Southampton
Brighton
Watford

Against

Man City
Spurs
Arsenal
Everton
Bournemouth
Aston Villa
Norwich

Why would Burnley and Palace vote for? Both on 39 points so no chance of going down and only 2 points behind 8th and 4 behind 7th.

With 9 matches to go, they’ve nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Uefa have a meeting on Tuesday & with qualifying due to begin in June for Europa / Champions League it’s hard to see Uefa not suspending both tournaments for a year as most leagues may still be finishing their seasons.

If that’s the case I hope the season is null and void. Imagine finishing in a CL place and not being able to play in the competition, I’d rather not know where we’d have finished.

That blow would only be slightly softened, if it means Leeds & Liverpool are denied which I think would actually make me piss my pants.

Why would Burnley and Palace vote for? Both on 39 points so no chance of going down and only 2 points behind 8th and 4 behind 7th.

With 9 matches to go, they’ve nothing to lose and everything to gain.

So you think they would vote for null and void?

Average points per game projected for the remaining games. Ours is about 1.54, so it would have to be 15 points added for our total to be 58.

Logically they should take it, it would depend how much they would take into account the fans. The ones I know would take not being in the champions league if it meant Liverpool's title was taken away.

Didn’t realise they were the only options on the table? As things stand it is still possible to finish the season.

Sorry, yes the vote was for finishing the season on current standings. BBC news saying that officials are saying that there is a 75% chance the season will not be able to complete so some big decisions coming up.

Sorry, yes the vote was for finishing the season on current standings. BBC news saying that officials are saying that there is a 75% chance the season will not be able to complete so some big decisions coming up.

Not even behind closed doors? I find that hard to believe.

According to report (can't remember where!), if teams played mid-weeks, the PL could be finished in 6 weeks :)
Yes Harris it could but now Brady at WHU and OGS saying they support scrapping the season that would stuff us up totally, Brady as WHU just outside relegation & OGS as we're above them. Apparently there's a meeting next Thursday to discuss things and one on agenda is scrapping relegation THAT WOULD BE SO WRONG.

We don't know what will happen but it's wrong these 2 especially are allowed to voice this as it puts pressure on other clubs, if they do end the season they dare not give Liverpool the title I still feel the season could be finished but as in 07 we look like being screwed by the PL.

For fuck's sake lads, I can't believe there's some of you that don't have Piers Moron blocked on Twitter

Reactions: Dkc
If they stop Euro 2020 I have heard that England will still attend as only club, they will come 3rd.

For fuck's sake lads, I can't believe there's some of you that don't have Piers Moron blocked on Twitter
JT mate what's Twitter bud, and I'm no kidding either

Last edited:
If they decide to end the season I think it's only fair they allow the clubs with games in hand to complete those so that everyone finishes on the same amount of games. Clubs of course play the 1/2/3 games in hand behind closed doors.

I'm not just saying this because we have one and what it could help us achieve but still be nice 😁
No it’s not the only fair way. In fact it’s very unfair in some ways because it permits some clubs to carry on playing and others not. That opens the door to all clubs wanting to finish their fixtures.

Either all clubs are allowed to complete their fixtures or none are. That’s fair. And in the case of clubs having played unequal number of games an average points total based on total games played / total points gained is THE only fair way of settling this.

The games need to be balanced out whatever way you look at it. Give Liverpool the title and then do a play off system for Europe and relagation with the higher placed teams getting home advantage.

How can it be fair to treat one team different to others?

How can you have a play off system if we aren’t allowed to play games?

I think you’re missing the point. You have to introduce a system that treats all teams equally - then you award the prizes and hand out the relegations. In that order.

How can it be fair to treat one team different to others?

How can you have a play off system if we aren’t allowed to play games?

I think you’re missing the point. You have to introduce a system that treats all teams equally - then you award the prizes and hand out the relegations. In that order.

There is only one fair way of treating all clubs equal and that’s by finishing the season. Any other way will just leave some clubs being shafted.

The season is too far gone to turn back now, it has to finish.

Uefa have a meeting on Tuesday & with qualifying due to begin in June for Europa / Champions League it’s hard to see Uefa not suspending both tournaments for a year as most leagues may still be finishing their seasons.

If that’s the case I hope the season is null and void. Imagine finishing in a CL place and not being able to play in the competition, I’d rather not know where we’d have finished.

That blow would only be slightly softened, if it means Leeds & Liverpool are denied which I think would actually make me piss my pants.

You would rather the season was null and void rather than us finish 5th. I don’t get the logic.

Back
Top Bottom