Scabs First Home Game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It works both ways. If the working men of South Yorkshire wanted the other areas to stand with them, they should have held a national ballot and accepted the outcome of it. They didn't, because they knew they wouldn't win, and they didn't want to stand in solidarity with those who felt it wasn't in their collective best interests to strike.

The Notts miners didn't break a strike. Thus, they weren't and aren't scabs.
You will never get the workers to stay together I was a bricklayer for 50 years it’s every man for him sen.

Admin note: Infraction given for personal abuse
It works both ways. If the working men of South Yorkshire wanted the other areas to stand with them, they should have held a national ballot and accepted the outcome of it. They didn't, because they knew they wouldn't win, and they didn't want to stand in solidarity with those who felt it wasn't in their collective best interests to strike.

They are SCABS And always will be, Prick

unbelievable and Yes they most certainly are SCABS......as the chant goes SCAB SCAB SCAB SCAB and its meant... I will say again the Notts miners Scabbed...

Or it was a group of miners that were led by two men who were both convicted of criminal offences further down the line.
They helped Thatcher smash the trade unions which has led to the pathetic conditions younger people have to accept now.
Scabs is a polite word for what those traitors to the working man did.
So true, what those scabs did when they betrayed the blue collar workers of the UK is absolutely unforgivable.
We are still suffering the consequences 40 years later.
Never forget.
Never forgive.

They are SCABS And always will be, Prick

unbelievable and Yes they most certainly are SCABS......as the chant goes SCAB SCAB SCAB SCAB and its meant... I will say again the Notts miners Scabbed...
Writing it in capital letters doesn't change the facts. It is scabbing to break a strike. It's not scabbing to go to work when your workplace isn't on strike. The Notts miners did not vote to strike. There was no national strike, and indeed the NUM leadership chose not to ballot for a national strike.

It's also BS generally. Anyone under the age of 54 cannot possibly have been part of what happened during the period of the strike, and anyone under the age of 38 wasn't even alive, so the majority of the idiots in G&H haven't even got a clue why they're shouting it. However you personally feel about what happened, the chant makes us look like cretins and should stop.

Ok so not technically a scab but didn’t exactly help did they? The great coal mining industry which Thatcher destroyed due to a vendetta could have been saved if everyone had pulled in the right direction.
At risk of stating the obvious, aren't there other reasons why coal mining is not fashionable at present?

But there is still a need for coal to some extent. Perhaps they ought to dig a new pit and see just how keen the Yorkshire working man is to get back down there.

PS - Thatcher didn't close the Nottinghamshire pits. Major did.

Did you watch MGW in yesterday’s fixture ? Not only was he inventive but right to the end was closing down Arsenal players.
He has more experience than Ndiaye and next season will judge if Ndiaye is close to being the same standard.
I liked Gibbs-White but he didn't half give the ball away.

As we saw against City, for their second, you do that at the top level at your peril.

Writing it in capital letters doesn't change the facts. It is scabbing to break a strike. It's not scabbing to go to work when your workplace isn't on strike. The Notts miners did not vote to strike. There was no national strike, and indeed the NUM leadership chose not to ballot for a national strike.

It's also BS generally. Anyone under the age of 54 cannot possibly have been part of what happened during the period of the strike, and anyone under the age of 38 wasn't even alive, so the majority of the idiots in G&H haven't even got a clue why they're shouting it. However you personally feel about what happened, the chant makes us look like cretins and should stop.
Didn’t realise you had to be alive to understand history…

All the people in this thread saying we should stop shouting scab carefully not mentioning that Forest sing “sign on with a pen in your hand, you’ll never work again” to the tune of You’ll Never Walk Alone. Seems to show they are proud of their record in helping to destroy an industry. I think that song is also particularly classless given they’re connection to Liverpool via Hillsborough.

Their fan base also has a problem with Hillsborough abuse versus Liverpool, despite the fact that many of them there that day are traumatised and have had the same feeling of survivors guilt that many Liverpool fans have. Scummy bunch.

I wrote this on a Forest thread last year so just copied and pasted...

This whole scab thing. Before my time as I was born in January 1984 but i think it's ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, living at that time must have been horrible and Margeret Thatcher had a lot to answer for but here goes...

Didn't the people of Nottingham "scabs" say that they would strike if the majority voted for a strike? There was no vote so carried on to work. (Correct me if i'm wrong??!?)

Then... I know two people from Sheffield, one of which is a friend of the family and the other works with me, here are their stories from that time...

1 - As there was no coal, my mate went to the woods to get somewood for the fire. He would do this every morning with his friend. He was on strike like the rest of the Sheffield folk. One morning a neighbour saw him leaving his home early doors (going to get wood again) and thought, he's going to work the scab. Later that day he went into the pub and everybody in there had a go calling him a scab etc. and he got his head caved in. He then thought fuck it, i may aswell go back to work then.

2 - Other mates dad was a miner and was on strike. It came down to the point when he had no electricity or gas. They could barely afford to feed the kids and so he made the choice to go back to work as his family needed the money to actually live. He would get pelted with stones from his neighbours every day and had their windows put through on the house. They boarded the windows up and they got kicked in. If he hadn't gone back to work, who knows what would've happened to him and his family. My mate used to get beat everyday at school.

So tell me - are those Sheffielders scabs?

If you can no longer provide for your family and keep a roof over your heads then you have failed one of the most important tasks in life.. But hey, they're only fucking scabs!!

This whole scab thing. Before my time as I was born in January 1984 but i think it's ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, living at that time must have been horrible and Margeret Thatcher had a lot to answer for but here goes...

Didn't the people of Nottingham "scabs" say that they would strike if the majority voted for a strike? There was no vote so carried on to work. (Correct me if i'm wrong??!?)

Then... I know two people from Sheffield, one of which is a friend of the family and the other works with me, here are their stories from that time...

1 - As there was no coal, my mate went to the woods to get somewood for the fire. He would do this every morning with his friend. He was on strike like the rest of the Sheffield folk. One morning a neighbour saw him leaving his home early doors (going to get wood again) and thought, he's going to work the scab. Later that day he went into the pub and everybody in there had a go calling him a scab etc. and he got his head caved in. He then thought fuck it, i may aswell go back to work then.

2 - Other mates dad was a miner and was on strike. It came down to the point when he had no electricity or gas. They could barely afford to feed the kids and so he made the choice to go back to work as his family needed the money to actually live. He would get pelted with stones from his neighbours every day and had their windows put through on the house. They boarded the windows up and they got kicked in. If he hadn't gone back to work, who knows what would've happened to him and his family. My mate used to get beat everyday at school.

If you can no longer provide for your family and keep a roof over your heads then you have failed one of the most important tasks in life.. But hey, they're only fucking scabs!!
Some people's opinions can't be changed on this topic. Imagine still carrying so much negativity and bitterness around after all these years or even worse carrying it second hand because you wasn't even born then!

So we forgive Hitler because we weren't there, I'm 76 and lived through the strike and can assure you I will never forget what the SCABS did.

I never worked at the pit but all my family did , I worked 500 yard from Cortonwood pit where it all started and watched it first hand unfold including the Army and MET police changing into tacky police uniforms in their vans and buses. Something happened then that you wouldn't see today, communities joined together and people doing things you should, getting off their arses and providing for the family and community. It was very hard but nobody starved , if anyone was struggling all you had to do was ask , every local pub and WMC dug deep and fed the children from breakfast to evening meals, local businesses helped out and many of my mates did local work cash in hand and lots went fruit picking in the fields of Lincoln and further south, they loved every minute as they would say "beats been darn pit". Most houses didn't have gas central heating so they would go digging out coal from all the slag heaps surrounding the village then distribute it to any needy families. I know of one lad who was digging it out and got buried and found to be dead when they got to him out. The stories could go on but all they wanted where the Nottingham Miners to join them , but no.
The South Yorkshire Scabs who went back to work where all given "brown envolopes" to break the strike that's why the feelings ran so high for the rest of them, the mine managers who also never went on strike knew who the weak link miners where.
Personally I've never shouted scab at any Florest fan but I can understand why people do.

You’ve done it again and you know what I mean

It fucks me off because it's inaccurate and historically illiterate, and I hate having to explain to my kids why G&H blocks are filled with a bunch of cretins shouting something they don't understand.

The Notts miners didn't strike because they didn't vote to strike, because it was a series of local ballots and not a national strike. There were many reasons why they voted against a strike, but one may have been the aggressive tactics of the South Yorks miners, even acknowledged by Mick McGahey.
Maybe we should call them 'Billygoat Headbutters' then. Bit more recent and poignant.

I've never disliked Forest because of the whole scab thing, and most of their fans are level headed and a good bunch, mainly the younger generation and those post Clough. It's the ones who were around when Clough was in charge that do my head in. They talk like Forest are still kings of Europe and that everyone in the world thinks Forest are one of the biggest clubs. They're the reason why I've grown to hate Forest over the years. Their sheer arrogance and self entitlement.

I've never disliked Forest because of the whole scab thing, and most of their fans are level headed and a good bunch, mainly the younger generation and those post Clough. It's the ones who were around when Clough was in charge that do my head in. They talk like Forest are still kings of Europe and that everyone in the world thinks Forest are one of the biggest clubs. They're the reason why I've grown to hate Forest over the years. Their sheer arrogance and self entitlement.
Before the last two years, you could feel those sorts you speak of lingering in the background like a bad smell. Even at the whiff of a half decent season you would feel like getting excited about winning 1 nil against rotherham was seen as embarrassing by some of those who saw us win the European Cup twice.

What Cooper has done is made sure we are all living in the here and now which is amazing. Might all end next season but for now at least I suspect there is a bit less of what you say. Probably just replaced with people going on about how much of a hero Cooper is though tbf haha.

I can’t imagine Cloughie liked being associated with a bunch of scabs
Cloughie marched in support of the miner's, great manager, great man. Have a read of Be good, love Brian by Craig Bromfield,says so much about that man.
I've never had a problem with forest, however some of the arrogant behaviour of the last couple of years has changed my mind.
If they hadn't dragged out and appealled the charges for the pitch invasion I might have changed my mind but no they couldn't put there hands up and take the punishment so it's still in their dna.

It fucks me off because it's inaccurate and historically illiterate, and I hate having to explain to my kids why G&H blocks are filled with a bunch of cretins shouting something they don't understand.

The Notts miners didn't strike because they didn't vote to strike, because it was a series of local ballots and not a national strike. There were many reasons why they voted against a strike, but one may have been the aggressive tactics of the South Yorks miners, even acknowledged by Mick McGahey.
In Nottinghamshire, a ballot was held and miners voted to carry on working. Only a quarter of the county's miners joined the national strike, according to the National Coal Mining Museum.
In other areas it was much better supported - for example in south Wales, 99.6% of the 21,500 workers joined the action and, a year on, 93% were still not working.
Nottinghamshire was the home of the Union of Democratic Mineworkers (UDM), whose members continued to work after splitting from the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), arguing the strike had not been approved in a vote.

In other words, the Notts miners voted not to strike and to carry on working under the shield of "it's not a National ballot" unlike the Yorkshire and Welsh lads. Absolute scab behaviour, not backing your fellow workers just to protect your own interests. Anyone who can justify trying to side with the Nottingham scabs should be ashamed of themselves.

In other words, the Notts miners voted not to strike and to carry on working under the shield of "it's not a National ballot" unlike the Yorkshire and Welsh lads. Absolute scab behaviour, not backing your fellow workers just to protect your own interests. Anyone who can justify trying to side with the Nottingham scabs should be ashamed of themselves.
So you agree they weren't breaking a strike?

That would mean they're not scabs then?

Or if that's your definition of a scab, does that make the Yorkshire and Welsh lads scabs too for not backing their fellow workers Notts counterparts and instead trying to protect their own interests?

So you agree they weren't breaking a strike?

That would mean they're not scabs then?

Or if that's your definition of a scab, does that make the Yorkshire and Welsh lads scabs too for not backing their fellow workers Notts counterparts and instead trying to protect their own interests?
Cross any picket line, You're a scab, end of. So yes, they are all scabs. Got it now?

Cross any picket line, You're a scab, end of. So yes, they are all scabs. Got it now?
The Notts miners were perfectly entitled to cross the picket line because the line had no business trying to stop them working.

It would be like if I was on strike so went and stood outside the nearest Asda and started threatening their workers and families - it's fucking idiotic like the chant.

I’m not sure that’s the point. I really don’t think anyone cares how accurate the historical facts are, when shouting derogatory terms to rival supporters.

The Notts miners were perfectly entitled to cross the picket line because the line had no business trying to stop them working.

It would be like if I was on strike so went and stood outside the nearest Asda and started threatening their workers and families - it's fucking idiotic like the chant.
No, it's nothing like that. Solidarity between workers has been the thing that brought the about the most of the rights in the workplace you enjoy today. Many other trades refused to cross those picket lines. Joiners, rail workers, Electricians, caterers, cleaners, refuse collectors.... the list could go on (dockers refused to unload imported "scab" coal for power stations).
Miners ALL knew that to cross any picket line was wrong and would make them a dirty scab.
Long dead, thatcher rushed through parliament a disgusting law making the need for a higher percentage vote than MPs themselves needed to make the law in the first place. Then, as said here earlier, the idiotic UDM and Fleet Street ran with flying pickets being wrong. Even though notts miners had been happy to use the same thing before. It's still true today De... if you cross any picket line, you are a filthy scab!

Ok so not technically a scab but didn’t exactly help did they? The great coal mining industry which Thatcher destroyed due to a vendetta could have been saved if everyone had pulled in the right direction.
Coal mining was in terminal decline in the UK long before Thatcher was PM. For instance peak coal usage on the railway was just after the end of WW2; steam traction was eliminated by British Railways by August 1968. Harold Wilson closed more pits than Thatcher did. Marxist criminals such as Scargill believed the taxpayer should keep paying whatever it took to keep his grift going.

As a Blade in Nottingham I can say they don't care in the slightest. Just comes across as bitter beer heads as vast majority of my mates including me wasn't born at the time 😂
Pigs claim the same.
Still ain't going anywhere.

Scabs are the lowest form of human life.

There's virtually nothing that could happen to them that would be so horrible that it wouldn't fall short of what they really deserve.

Although to honest, I'd think that about Notts Forest fans if they weren't already scabs anyway.

Back
Top Bottom