Scabs First Home Game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What is a scab?!
You don't even know?!

I wasn't even born during the miner's strike and I know what a scab is! To cut a long story short, the Nottinghamshire miners wanted no part of the strike and so scabs they became. I believe Notts County are also occassional recipients of the term!

Last edited:
Fisticuffs? The old Queensbury rules?

Absolutely, and give them credit, they're always up for it..

Let's hope we don't dissapoint..

What is a scab?!
You don't even know?!

I wasn't even born during the miner's strike and I know what a scab is! To cut a long story short, the Nottinghamshire miners wanted no part of the strike and so scabs they became. I believe Notts County are also occassional recipients of the term!
The term has obviously grown legs since then. Not many fans below 50 probably remember or even care about the miners strike. But the fact that a group of arrogant football supporters who we really don’t like, are actually still annoyed by it, means the term “scab” will be chanted for many years to come.

You don't even know?!

The term has obviously grown legs since then. Not many fans below 50 probably remember or even care about the miners strike. But the fact that a group of arrogant football supporters who we really don’t like, are actually still annoyed by it, means the term “scab” will be chanted for many years to come.
It fucks me off because it's inaccurate and historically illiterate, and I hate having to explain to my kids why G&H blocks are filled with a bunch of cretins shouting something they don't understand.

The Notts miners didn't strike because they didn't vote to strike, because it was a series of local ballots and not a national strike. There were many reasons why they voted against a strike, but one may have been the aggressive tactics of the South Yorks miners, even acknowledged by Mick McGahey.

To be fair, I don’t think they give a shit about being called scabs. I think they just laugh at the Yorkshire clubs for chanting it.

To be fair, I don’t think they give a shit about being called scabs. I think they just laugh at the Yorkshire clubs for chanting it.
As a Blade in Nottingham I can say they don't care in the slightest. Just comes across as bitter beer heads as vast majority of my mates including me wasn't born at the time 😂

It fucks me off because it's inaccurate and historically illiterate, and I hate having to explain to my kids why G&H blocks are filled with a bunch of cretins shouting something they don't understand.

The Notts miners didn't strike because they didn't vote to strike, because it was a series of local ballots and not a national strike. There were many reasons why they voted against a strike, but one may have been the aggressive tactics of the South Yorks miners, even acknowledged by Mick McGahey.
Or it was a group of miners that were led by two men who were both convicted of criminal offences further down the line.
They helped Thatcher smash the trade unions which has led to the pathetic conditions younger people have to accept now.
Scabs is a polite word for what those traitors to the working man did.

They voted not to strike well that went well for them because Thatcher closed them all down first
If the working man doesn’t stand together the working man has no chance.
The working people of the country at that time collected food and money and helped prevent the striking miners and families from starvation. Yes feelings still run deep about the way the Notts miners took the thirty pieces of silver while the good union men of Yorkshire held firm and suffered for it.
No I wasn’t a miner but outside looking in and I was disgusted by the Notts actions.

Nottingham Forest have supporters that have been involved in shocking behaviour and if the word Scab offends them then I’m all for it.
I know people who attend the Lane who were miners and now miners sons and daughters attend the Lane and there are more than you would imagine so when they start singing Scab I will be one that joins in that chant.

Or it was a group of miners that were led by two men who were both convicted of criminal offences further down the line.
They helped Thatcher smash the trade unions which has led to the pathetic conditions younger people have to accept now.
Scabs is a polite word for what those traitors to the working man did.
Spot on

Every clubs fans have been involved in shocking behaviour, ours included, every club has it's 'portion' of fucking idiots and we are no different

I understand not liking other clubs, but I'll never understand some of the level of hate I read on here

Guess it's the world we live in these days

McGahey was no lover of Scargill and didn't like the fact the actions of Cortonwood bounced everyone into a strike when it should have been better co-ordinated during the winter months. Having said that Scotland was as vociferous as any area in supporting the strike.

The Notts NUM leadership were moderates mainly because their area were the main beneficiaries of the productivity scheme as they had better producing pits. Scargill was reluctant to call a National ballot as the 2/3rds threshold was not met in previous ballots in 82 and 83. One month into the strike in Sheffield he had the opportunity to amend the union rules for a majority vote to 50% plus 1 in any National ballot. He didn't and Lynk and Greatrex who were already negotiating secretly with the Conservative government unofficially formed the UDM. There were a minority of miners in the Nottingham area who remained loyal to the NUM led by Henry Richardson. Not calling a national ballot alienated the NUM from other industry unions who refused to come out in support and gave the UDM the excuse that the strike was not official. It was legally declared unofficial in September 1984.

I can imagine all this being more relevant in a Chesterfield v Mansfield fixture.The borderland between the two towns was full of pits and large proportions of their fan base were actually miners.

Pigs, Dingles, Smoggies, Scousers Woolybacks, Taffs, Makems, Sheepshaggers, Monkey Hangers, Yam Yam’s, Dirties/Seatsmashers and of course…Blunts, are all meant to be derogatory terms for regions, towns or specific football clubs. To me “Scabs” is no different really, although some have embraced them more than others.

You don't even know?!

I believe the Notts miners wanted a ballot

A mess. Scargill was an ideologue and an anachronism transplanted into the 80s from a Russian Revolution. Thatcher was an ideologue who carpet-bombed whole communities (who then, after, voted for her). And I'd have a lot more sympathy for "the working man" if "the working man" wasn't so routinely and pathetically complicit in his own oppression. God Save The Fucking Jug-Eared King.

Shouting, "Scab!" meant something in the 80s. Even if you disagreed with those shouting or being shouted at. Now it's a fashion statement.

They voted not to strike well that went well for them because Thatcher closed them all down first
The working people of the country at that time collected food and money and helped prevent the striking miners and families from starvation. Yes feelings still run deep about the way the Notts miners took the thirty pieces of silver while the good union men of Yorkshire held firm and suffered for it.
No I wasn’t a miner but outside looking in and I was disgusted by the Notts actions.

Nottingham Forest have supporters that have been involved in shocking behaviour and if the word Scab offends them then I’m all for it.
I know people who attend the Lane who were miners and now miners sons and daughters attend the Lane and there are more than you would imagine so when they start singing Scab I will be one that joins in that chant.
I'm the grandson of a miner and I started a new job in Nottingham in March 1984 which entailed living in a hotel in Nottingham for 4 nights a week.

Because I had a West Yorkshire registration I was stopped by the police every Monday morning as I left the M1 at junction 26 to drive past Babbington Colliery to my job in Bulwell.

I experienced at first hand the antics of the Metropolitan Police and had 4 subsequent years experience of the self righteous attitude of the bulk (not all) of the Notts miners whilst living amongst them.

Fuck the lot if em, they were scabs, they are scabs, they'll always be scabs, and what's more they're still fucking proud of it.

McGahey was no lover of Scargill and didn't like the fact the actions of Cortonwood bounced everyone into a strike when it should have been better co-ordinated during the winter months. Having said that Scotland was as vociferous as any area in supporting the strike.

The Notts NUM leadership were moderates mainly because their area were the main beneficiaries of the productivity scheme as they had better producing pits. Scargill was reluctant to call a National ballot as the 2/3rds threshold was not met in previous ballots in 82 and 83. One month into the strike in Sheffield he had the opportunity to amend the union rules for a majority vote to 50% plus 1 in any National ballot. He didn't and Lynk and Greatrex who were already negotiating secretly with the Conservative government unofficially formed the UDM. There were a minority of miners in the Nottingham area who remained loyal to the NUM led by Henry Richardson. Not calling a national ballot alienated the NUM from other industry unions who refused to come out in support and gave the UDM the excuse that the strike was not official. It was legally declared unofficial in September 1984.
Great summary.

Scargill fucked up, but he was ultimately undone by the "I'm alright Jack" attitude of the Notts miners together with his own arrogance.

Every clubs fans have been involved in shocking behaviour, ours included, every club has it's 'portion' of fucking idiots and we are no different

I understand not liking other clubs, but I'll never understand some of the level of hate I read on here

Guess it's the world we live in these days
I'm the grandson of a miner and I started a new job in Nottingham in March 1984 which entailed living in a hotel in Nottingham for 4 nights a week.

Because I had a West Yorkshire registration I was stopped by the police every Monday morning as I left the M1 at junction 26 to drive past Babbington Colliery to my job in Bulwell.

I experienced at first hand the antics of the Metropolitan Police and had 4 subsequent years experience of the self righteous attitude of the bulk (not all) of the Notts miners whilst living amongst them.

Fuck the lot if em, they were scabs, they are scabs, they'll always be scabs, and what's more they're still fucking proud of it.
Indeed you are absolutely right

No competition Ndiaye every time he’s just amazing
Did you watch MGW in yesterday’s fixture ? Not only was he inventive but right to the end was closing down Arsenal players.
He has more experience than Ndiaye and next season will judge if Ndiaye is close to being the same standard.

the aggressive tactics of the South Yorks miners, even acknowledged by Mick McGahey.

Mick must have been a busy lad back then, organising strikes, playing for Barnsley and Ireland before moving into management most notably with wolves and Ipswich

It works both ways. If the working men of South Yorkshire wanted the other areas to stand with them, they should have held a national ballot and accepted the outcome of it. They didn't, because they knew they wouldn't win, and they didn't want to stand in solidarity with those who felt it wasn't in their collective best interests to strike.

The Notts miners didn't break a strike. Thus, they weren't and aren't scabs.

Ok so not technically a scab but didn’t exactly help did they? The great coal mining industry which Thatcher destroyed due to a vendetta could have been saved if everyone had pulled in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom