Sander Berge, 20/21

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I will get pelters here but I think a Norwood, Fleck and Berg midfield would be greatly improved with a Norwood upgrade. I cant see our service to the strikers improving greatly with Norwood still first choice. I know we may not be able to afford it and I feel a bit of a turncoat even suggesting it but I've said it now. He just seems a bit below the other 2's class.
Disagree. Norwood is key because he is the pivot, remains fairly static but controls the game with his ball distribution.
Sander is great at powerful charges forward, it would be a waste to have him play Norwood's static role
And the pivot role doesn't work if your pivot goes wandering off

I will get pelters here but I think a Norwood, Fleck and Berg midfield would be greatly improved with a Norwood upgrade. I cant see our service to the strikers improving greatly with Norwood still first choice. I know we may not be able to afford it and I feel a bit of a turncoat even suggesting it but I've said it now. He just seems a bit below the other 2's class.
Try taking a look at Norwoods stats for last season, no way berge can affect a game like him. Tried it against Southampton and he couldn't do it, at the moment berge and fleck need Norwood who has been brilliant for us, I really don't understand why some can't see this.

We really need him to step up ,don't want to see lundstram in that position again even though we will miss his goal threat was nice seeing someone be positive and not just take an aeon to slowly pass the ball backwards

Try taking a look at Norwoods stats for last season, no way berge can affect a game like him. Tried it against Southampton and he couldn't do it, at the moment berge and fleck need Norwood who has been brilliant for us, I really don't understand why some can't see this.

Speaking of his stats, his defensive contributions are immense. Seems to always know where to stand.

Little video from Sander on our first preseason game:

Interesting comments about playing as both a 6 or an 8. Also sounds confident about next season, and refers to understanding British footballing culture, and the team's tactics better.

There's obviously a reason why so many clubs were keeping tabs on him before we moved in. The amount we spent suggests that there's a lot of faith from people like Wilder and Bettis too.

With this being his first full season, how do people think he'll cope? And where will he play?

Interviewer: You were playing well at the end of last season. Is that something you are hoping to continue into next season?
Berge: Erm..yeah? Sorry, is that a trick question?

I get disproportionately annoyed by the banal questions most sports interviewers come out with. Something bad happens - were you disappointed with that? Something good happens - you must be pleased with that?

Least me and him share something in common, I’m horrific at golf as well

His ability was clear to see from that first game at Palace. Clearly it was going to take some time for him to adjust - like all players new to the PL. Next season is still going to be a transitional period for him but he now knows what it's about and what it takes. Excellent player.

We seem to have come a long way from the ‘what a waste of money’ days.
Long may it continue, he looks like he could be a main man for us.

Why are there so many comparisons between Berge and Norwood? They're different players with different styles playing in very different roles.

Fleck Berge
Norwood

The best Sheffield United midfield since the 1970's. Stop moaning

Why are there so many comparisons between Berge and Norwood? They're different players with different styles playing in very different roles.

Fleck Berge
Norwood

The best Sheffield United midfield since the 1970's. Stop moaning
Because before joining us they were defensive midfielders (obviously with very different attributes) that played in double pivots. Even Wilder himself last season made a passing comment of Berge potentially playing deeper (and on a couple of occasions played him there). 👍

Because before joining us they were defensive midfielders (obviously with very different attributes) that played in double pivots. Even Wilder himself last season made a passing comment of Berge potentially playing deeper (and on a couple of occasions played him there). 👍
Very true, but they're still very different players. Nick Montgomery and Norwood wouldn't be compared for the same role despite both playing in the defensive midfield position. Berge couldn't do Norwood's job and vice versa

He’s benefitting from a preseason.

There is so much more to “a full preseason” than just fitness but, it seems to me, whenever the benefits of one get disparaged on here it’s only the fitness part that is being thought about

Disagree. Norwood is key because he is the pivot, remains fairly static but controls the game with his ball distribution.
Sander is great at powerful charges forward, it would be a waste to have him play Norwood's static role
And the pivot role doesn't work if your pivot goes wandering off

So actually what we need are two Sanders playing as pivots, with a Fleck/No10 in front. If one Sander roams forward, the other stays back. But both have that license to burst forward when the opportunity strikes.

It'll be the slow tactical evolution under Wilder. Our 3-5-2 in the PL has a relatively low ceiling in attacking returns. We know 3-4-1-2 creates more chances but at this level the two in the middle both need to be brick shit houses, and also a standout PL level No10 is hard to come by. But I believe it's a long term project and Sander is the first piece of that puzzle.

Sander seems to have had some significant changes physically since joining.

Sander game 1 vs Crystal Palace:

View attachment 89696

Sander yesterday vs Dundee:

View attachment 89697

He looks like he’s bulked up quite a lot!

I'm not sure if it's because he was playing next to Slater, but I thought he looked huge against Dundee. He's definitely bulked up. He's now the big kid at school you don't want to tackle cos you know it's gonna fucking hurt.

He a beast on the ball, he just brushes past and he’s so hard to get off the ball, he’s gonna be great next season.

And 6 months later we should be offloading him 🤡’s

Back
Top Bottom