Sander Berge, 20/21

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Kanye

Reaction score
Little video from Sander on our first preseason game:

Interesting comments about playing as both a 6 or an 8. Also sounds confident about next season, and refers to understanding British footballing culture, and the team's tactics better.

There's obviously a reason why so many clubs were keeping tabs on him before we moved in. The amount we spent suggests that there's a lot of faith from people like Wilder and Bettis too.

With this being his first full season, how do people think he'll cope? And where will he play?

Maturing as I hoped he would. Gradual improvement in his contribution and undertanding especially with his teammates.
I think his quality and footballing skills will rub off on his fellow players.
He and Wilder will be more flexible over his starting position. Yes, he is that good.

I hope he continues to show what appears to be a very mature set of skills. I've witnessed several moments when it seems as if he has an extra few seconds to make a decision, something that opponents struggle to compare with.

He's a class player there's no doubt, and what I hope, even expect, to see from Sander is his obvious range of skills often dominating opponents. That might sound like an outrageous prediction upon someone so young, but remember, he seems to be a first team regular, so expecting to see SB play at a level I think he's capable of playing shouldn't be beyond his reach. I doubt Wilder allowed the club to pay so much for SB merely as a vanity project. My hope, nay, expectation, is that SB will bring something to this side that we haven't seen in a long, long time, and in the process it will enable us to refine our attacking skills and gain the upper hand in games that previously we would have drawn a blank in.......one can only dream!

Our midfielders are all good players but it was noticeable in some matches last season, particularly if a team breaks quickly on us, that both Norwood and Berge look to be treading treacle when trying to track back.

Berge will be class for us. I'd like to see him in Central midfield with Norwood next to him. I personally think this is how we'd get the best from him & he's potentially a player worth building a team around and making system tweaks for.

I will get pelters here but I think a Norwood, Fleck and Berg midfield would be greatly improved with a Norwood upgrade. I cant see our service to the strikers improving greatly with Norwood still first choice. I know we may not be able to afford it and I feel a bit of a turncoat even suggesting it but I've said it now. He just seems a bit below the other 2's class.

I will get pelters here but I think a Norwood, Fleck and Berg midfield would be greatly improved with a Norwood upgrade. I cant see our service to the strikers improving greatly with Norwood still first choice. I know we may not be able to afford it and I feel a bit of a turncoat even suggesting it but I've said it now. He just seems a bit below the other 2's class.

Disagree. His set piece threat I pretty phenomenal and he’s improved his physicality and defensive work.

I think Berge will occupy that role in the coming years with Norwood for competition/rotation depending on how demanding the schedule is. It’s the right side of the three that needs investment and the recruitment of a right sided box to box midfielder that’s up to the standard of the other two is crucial all be it very difficult.

Berge has got a skill level a lot of players can only dream of.

He holds the ball well from players and appears to glide past them with ease................when he wants to do it.

He just needs to do it MORE!!

Has undoubted skills - is he going to be a frustrating player, bril one week and then poor the next - Time will tell.

I don't buy this about a "good pre-season" bollox - he came in January fit after playing lots of games - he WAS fit when he joined, he just has what appears to be a lazy style of getting about.

he was excellent at times today - he now needs to do that next game and the game after and get consistency.

Three good things today - burst into the box and forced the defender to be rash and won a penalty with his long legs keeping control of the ball - burst into the box again and keeper saved very well - got a great cross shot off for our goal - keeper may think he should have held it...........but ONE OF OUR PLAYERS SHOT FROM OUTSIDE THE BOX :) :) :) and fancy that....it brought a goal. Who'd have thought shooting from outside the box would cause problems !

Perhaps our most effective player today ,although once again Egan was excellent.

If the long term plan is to play Norwoods position, then that is fine, but THIS season is not the time to do it. Let him play the Lunny role as we need Norwood still to pull the strings.

All in all, a good start.

UTB

Disagree. His set piece threat I pretty phenomenal and he’s improved his physicality and defensive work.
I do kind of agree with you and his passes at times are fantastic. I think Berg would play the Norwood role better with Another taking up the right midfield position, which agree with Yogi, is more important. I would be interested to see Lewis Cook in there but that's another conversation!
I'm not saying Norwood is a bad player, just if I could improve any of them it would be him.

Great potential to be a fantastic player. When he bursts forward he looks a real handful, he just needs to get forward more often.

I think he is going to be immense next season. We saw a few glimpses after lockdown. Can see him bossing it.

We seem to have come a long way from the ‘what a waste of money’ days.
Long may it continue, he looks like he could be a main man for us.

He has been improving every game and today was MOM (half). Fitness level was an issue at first Sander said himself he was feeling it towards the end of games (united under Wilder/ Matt Prestridge are a very fit team).

As he said understanding his role better - looked excellent pushing forward.

His height and strength will play a massive role, hope to see him attacking the box when the balls down the left side arriving at the back post late, think he could easily contribute 5 goals and 5 assists if not more next season

Potential to mature and become a really, truly world-class player. When's the last time we had someone like that on our books?

You don't get scouted by half the elite of Europe if you're not a good player.

Norwood and Berge together with Fleck playing slightly advanced of his previous role last season would be excellent going forward, but we may have to reign in the attacking Centre Backs if we are to remain as solid defensively.

Granted was ended early, but I thought he was the best player yesterday easily and I am quite looking forward to see how he progresses this season.

Back
Top Bottom