Sacrificing games

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sheff de party

Reaction score
Off to t’ match tomorrow. No trains so my usual cycle ride down the canal is well and truly off - instead a 7+ hour return drive awaits.

I just can’t help but wonder (especially after listening to Roygbiv and Ben on Bladespod) if Hecky will sacrifice tomorrow. Drop Berge and Baldock, keep Anel back another week and just hope whoever is left gets a point.

Got me to thinking is this actually a good tactic? We’re top in a 46 game season, no need to win every week. Is it better to sometimes play the long game and maybe even rest Ndiaye and a couple of others. Sack this one off (never know you might still get something), reset and be stronger as the season goes on.

Felt like he did that at Millwall last year.

I don't think it's a good idea to sacrifice the game but I wouldn't risk any of the injured lads if they aren't right. A loss tomorrow would be disappointing but losing the likes of Anel, Bogle, Berge or whoever else for months because we played them when they weren't fit would be stupid in my opinion.

Imagine thinking that rotation for the good of the club across the entirety of the season is "sacrificing games"

I don't think it's a good idea to sacrifice the game but I wouldn't risk any of the injured lads if they aren't right. A loss tomorrow would be disappointing but losing the likes of Anel, Bogle, Berge or whoever else for months because we played them when they weren't fit would be stupid in my opinion.
I think PH is in agreement with you.
With replacements for these “rested” players there is no reason why we cannot get at least a point from Stoke.
We then have a clear week to reset.

Off to t’ match tomorrow. No trains so my usual cycle ride down the canal is well and truly off - instead a 7+ hour return drive awaits.

I just can’t help but wonder (especially after listening to Roygbiv and Ben on Bladespod) if Hecky will sacrifice tomorrow. Drop Berge and Baldock, keep Anel back another week and just hope whoever is left gets a point.

Got me to thinking is this actually a good tactic? We’re top in a 46 game season, no need to win every week. Is it better to sometimes play the long game and maybe even rest Ndiaye and a couple of others. Sack this one off (never know you might still get something), reset and be stronger as the season goes on.

Felt like he did that at Millwall last year.

We should have rested Berge after the international break.

No such thing as sacrificing a game ,not in my book

Considering Stoke's position, and the comments by their fans, this isnt a game to sacrifice its a game to take advantage of for an easy win and get 3 points.
Despite our injuries we should be whipping Stoke's arse.

Are we just ignoring the points tally previous to that?
No, but we have averaged 2 points a game up to now (promotion form). If we drop points tomorrow we drop below that (not promotion form).

You don't sacrifice a game. But it might be a good idea, just to go with those who are fully fit, whatever the combination and give the rest a bit of time to get fully fit. Do it's not all stop/start. We will still have a starting 11 as strong as most, whoever we put out.

If they are fit they play, that philosophy works when your on the last game of the season guaranteed playoff spot and save them for the semi, but we could save them today, then they get injured 1st minute of next match and we’re fucked, get points on the board, rest em when we’re up. Paid a lot of money these lads, if they are healthy and up for it, start them and take em off at half time 3-0 up

With the current injury crisis it would be ludicrous to play anyone who is not 100%, if it means they will be next week. Not that we’ll ever find out (and they may not do this anymore), but it’d be crazy if we gave pain injections to get players on the pitch.

If they are fit they play, that philosophy works when your on the last game of the season guaranteed playoff spot and save them for the semi, but we could save them today, then they get injured 1st minute of next match and we’re fucked, get points on the board, rest em when we’re up. Paid a lot of money these lads, if they are healthy and up for it, start them and take em off at half time 3-0 up
Look how the not resting players is going for us so far

With the current injury crisis it would be ludicrous to play anyone who is not 100%, if it means they will be next week. Not that we’ll ever find out (and they may not do this anymore), but it’d be crazy if we gave pain injections to get players on the pitch.

Exactly this. If that is the definition of "sacrificing games" then so be it.
I'd rather wait until we have a full bill of health and then attack it than constantly recycle injured players out for barely fit players in. Look what's happened with Bogle, injured already. It's gotten to be absolutely ridiculous.
We have no chance of top two if we maintain an injury record in double-figures all season.

Yeah and look at the state of the squad. We can't put a reasonable 11 out... Let's see where we are when our injuries are recovered
I agree, my point was and is players know their body, if they are up for it and the med team are then play them

The op was implying we should rest players to sacrifice a game, although so far it looks like that’s happening 😡

We don’t have the squad of Man C who can rest Silva for Mahrez, play the strongest 11 available

Back
Top Bottom