Sack Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Was looking at the stats, just depressing how bad it has been:
Wilder has been an improvement, but it's still poor and in the whole season we have only managed a single game where we have comprehensively scored more xG than our component and we managed to lose that one!
Just seen this...

On xG (taken from Flashscore, rightly or wrongly) we should have been on 2 points under Heckingbottom with statistical draws against Man U (1.44-1.03) and Wolves (1.04-1.35). We should have taken 7 points from Wilder's 10 games (draws against Brentford (0.77-0.72), Villa (0.87-0.52), West Ham (2.05-2.18) and Palace (1.29-0.72) and a victory over Luton (2.78-0.58).

You mention that there's only been one game where we've comprehensively scored more xG than our opponents: the same is true of Luton. Their only significant xG win was against Brighton (2.59-0.76) and that game was effectively over after 3 minutes. The difference is that Luton weren't in the same position three years ago and they believe they can get something out of any game whereas we seem to fold when things go against us.

Burnley, FWIW, have yet to outscore anyone by 2 goals on xG, even us (1.41-0.38).

There's loads more. Both Burnley (vs Fulham) and Luton (vs us and Everton) have won games they should arguably have lost; both we (vs Luton) and Luton (vs Chelsea) have lost games we should have won.

Final note: our goals conceded vs xG, on the flashscore model at least, is embarrassing. That's a 30% underperformance.

Performance vs expectation, bottom 3*
1707236455952.png

*excluding Everton from this as they're only in the bottom three by virtue of a points deduction.

Wilders tactics for the match at Luton, he’s told the players to “come out fighting”.
For me this sums up his total lack of tactical awareness. It’s the sort of tactic a non league side would use in the cup.
The sooner he goes the better.
He said "we're going to attack them" before Villa game, 3-0 down after 20 minutes !

You need at least £250m to stay in the premier league. we need people who can sustain that and keep doing that every season. It seems no one is interested in buying our club. I wish I could but I can't.
I could chip in with you ?

Because thats his favoured way of leaving with a couple of million of cause.

Just seen this...

On xG (taken from Flashscore, rightly or wrongly) we should have been on 2 points under Heckingbottom with statistical draws against Man U (1.44-1.03) and Wolves (1.04-1.35). We should have taken 7 points from Wilder's 10 games (draws against Brentford (0.77-0.72), Villa (0.87-0.52), West Ham (2.05-2.18) and Palace (1.29-0.72) and a victory over Luton (2.78-0.58).

You mention that there's only been one game where we've comprehensively scored more xG than our opponents: the same is true of Luton. Their only significant xG win was against Brighton (2.59-0.76) and that game was effectively over after 3 minutes. The difference is that Luton weren't in the same position three years ago and they believe they can get something out of any game whereas we seem to fold when things go against us.

Burnley, FWIW, have yet to outscore anyone by 2 goals on xG, even us (1.41-0.38).

There's loads more. Both Burnley (vs Fulham) and Luton (vs us and Everton) have won games they should arguably have lost; both we (vs Luton) and Luton (vs Chelsea) have lost games we should have won.

Final note: our goals conceded vs xG, on the flashscore model at least, is embarrassing. That's a 30% underperformance.

View attachment 178744

*excluding Everton from this as they're only in the bottom three by virtue of a points deduction.

Nice work

This is my data on xG trends over a 10 game period to kind of see the form trends for each club - xGD:

1707243302370.png

xG:
1707243346613.png

xG conceded:

1707243393097.png

Basically some improvement has come through for us but we were so bad at the start of the season and our conversion has consistently been poor (conceded more goals than should, not being clinical enough with what we create).

Palace is the actually one that's really dropping off recently and I reckon not crazy for them to be drawn towards the bottom 3 with some big games coming up (Everton, Burnley, Luton in next 5) and Eze and Olise injured.

Maybe with the money we saved in the transfer windows, plus £20m Archer going back, spend that on ensuring a cat 1 academy is built.
That way our record of producing top class youngsters, added to state of the art facilities will promote the credibility to the club in the eyes of potential investors. Forget Liverpool think Brentford 😥

CLUBS - PREMIER LEAGUE 23/24 squad value and average player worth​

teamsquad listedave ageforeign players ave , player value ----- ------- squad value

we are worth half of wolves squad such is the gulf
Manchester City English Champion 22/23FA Cup Winner 22/23Champions League Winner 22/232226.716€57.42m€1.26bn
Arsenal FC2625.319€42.94m€1.12bn
Chelsea FC3123.420€30.58m€948.10m
Liverpool FC2725.821€32.16m€868.40m
Tottenham Hotspur2625.320€29.28m€761.30m
Manchester United2726.219€27.23m€735.25m
Newcastle United2827.313€22.81m€638.70m
Aston Villa2626.518€23.88m€620.85m
Brighton & Hove Albion2725.419€18.04m€487.10m
West Ham United Conference League winner 22/232228.314€20.03m€440.60m
Brentford FC3025.423€13.57m€407.18m
Crystal Palace2925.913€13.31m€385.90m
Nottingham Forest2926.925€12.49m€362.15m
AFC Bournemouth2625.717€13.15m€341.80m
Everton FC2527.111€13.48m€336.90m
Fulham FC2428.022€13.96m€335.00m
Wolverhampton Wanderers2225.818€13.76m€302.70m
Burnley FC English 2nd tier champion 22/232925.022€8.73m€253.10m
Sheffield United 3025.617€4.90m€146.85m
Luton Town 2827.415€3.63m€101.60m

Wilder should go now, get cooper in and give him time to look at squad till end of season, then 2yrs to rebuild the whole squad. End this embarrassing farce now, he had no plan b when we went down and nothing now!
Sorry he’s got to go it’s got ridiculous we are the laughing stock of the Premiership still can’t get my head round how he got back

Sack Wilder, bring Cooper in, then when he loses three in a row sack him and give Potter the job. Three more losses, and that’s him gone too. Lampard for a couple of games perhaps? Then maybe give Bruce and Pardew a half each? What’s Big Sam doing, he might be up for a couple of hours one spare Saturday? Maybe go all out and let Mourinho have a fortnight at the end.

Just seen this...

View attachment 178744

I read that and I can’t help thinking what a complete load of codswallop. I think there’s a big difference between the EA sports fans and old school fans. It’s pretty bloody obvious why we are where we are and it’s down to a chronic lack of readies. The PL is not a sporting competition it’s a business competition, them with the deepest pockets win. The PL is now nearly as meaningless as Formula 1 or Ocean Yacht Racing as a true sporting contest. All three are all mind numbingly boring to anyone but pseudo analytical weirdos.

So we sack Wilder….. then what? Given we will not have much money to spend in the summer of the Prince is still here. Who the hell would want this job right now?

Forget, Potter, Cooper…. Not going to happen.

I think Wilder will be here next season & have a go at a 2016 rebuild again. ie. No money and very limited budget. He just needs to find a few more gems like Duffy, O’Connell etc!!!!!

So we sack Wilder….. then what? Given we will not have much money to spend in the summer of the Prince is still here. Who the hell would want this job right now?

I think Wilder will be here next season & have a go at a 2016 rebuild again. ie. No money and very limited budget. He just needs to find a few more gems like Duffy, O’Connell etc!!!!!
Yeh and I just need to guess the correct 6 numbers of the lottery this week to become a millionaire!
Have a day off. Hoping that Wilder can reproduce some magic of a bygone era is just desperate. The games moved on! Dave Bassett did it once why don’t we bring him back?

Get ya head out the sandpit you doughnut!

Wilder will be here until the end of the season at the very least. I think if there is to be some upside, some crumb of comfort from this horrendous Premier League experience, it should be in the form of a state of the art Cat 1 Academy.

A completely new facility, that would be attract the very best talent to the club, as well as the best coaches. Geographically, Sheffield is in pole position in terms of its Academy catchment area, PA needs to show that he is invested in the long term future of the club and if he wants to leave some legacy of his tenure, there could be no better way.

We need to totally reinvent ourselves if we want to ever compete at this level. I don’t want to see another passionate ex-blade as manager for a long time. We shoot ourselves in the foot by having such basic, narrow parameters for a manager.
It might be the right time for Slav now?…just saying. 🤷‍♂️

You've also got to factor in the fact that through contacts in the game and general perception, players may not want to play for Wilder. I know I wouldn't.

The change in results haven't been too different even after changing manager and some midfielders.. I'm not too sure would bringing new manager in change anything and seeing our efforts, who would want to join us at this point? At same time wondering how can a manager keep his job with results like this? Hecky didn't (altho he seemed to stuck with same players without willing to change ANYTHING)..

You've also got to factor in the fact that through contacts in the game and general perception, players may not want to play for Wilder. I know I wouldn't.
I’ve played for him (obviously not at this level!) and know that people did want to play for him because he wants success and so that gives them the chance of winning something too. He’s harsh, tells you how it is and can be ruthless but tell me a manager that achieves things who isn’t?

Sack Wilder, bring Cooper in, then when he loses three in a row sack him and give Potter the job. Three more losses, and that’s him gone too. Lampard for a couple of games perhaps? Then maybe give Bruce and Pardew a half each? What’s Big Sam doing, he might be up for a couple of hours one spare Saturday? Maybe go all out and let Mourinho have a fortnight at the end.
I was with you, till you let Mourinho have a fortnight :D

I don't have a problem with Wilder as manager, or us as a club living within our means and I think this sacking talk is just miserable. My issue with his appointment is just about having a consistent strategy, regardless of the cash. The idea was to switch to a youth model, improve our capacity to integrate and develop talent from abroad and ultimately improve our revenue through developing players of value we can sell
Then that is quite opposite from what had made Wilder succesful. He seems to be very involved in getting the academy players new contracts, was willing to to gamble on Grbic....maybe signs of a new approach. If he is committed to this, I am happu to give him time.....but another three months of drubbings before the 'rebuild' and the expectation/need to bounce back up....I am not sure about either Wilders patience or the fans.

Rehire Hecky

Sorry he’s got to go it’s got ridiculous we are the laughing stock of the Premiership still can’t get my head round how he got back
Yes you can

He was available, willing & cheap and deflected s h I t from the prince for a while - , well , 7/8 games anyway .

It will all end in tears and recriminations

Wilders talking the club up now, saying he believes players are already looking to come to bramall lane and regardless of the division he believes they are wanting to sign for Sheffield United and some are talking to senior pros already about making the move. He says he's super confident we can rebuild and its a fabulous place to come and play football. Even now he's getting players talking to Tom Davies and he's saying " he's available and he's available " and the club is still very attractive to come and play for!. I guess Davies is now head of recruitment! , Seems like he's trying to convince the prince that he can rebuild etc, sounds like the last time he we went down, history repeating itself?

I defy Pep, Klopp to do anything else with this squad. Simple really, buy inferior quality players for the Premier league and this is the result.
PS. If Luton survive this season, they will get found out next season. Bit like us in 2018

I'm 100% behind him and the rebuild next season. This season is irrelevant now, it's done and was done before Wilder came back. It's about bringing on a few young uns. If people can't hack the misery, don't watch would be my advice. My small gripe is that we shouldn't have been signing senior players this window. The loans are a waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom