Pre-Season 17/18 Rotherham United v. Sheffield United - 21/07/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Apparantly we were in shit street until the boy wonder came on an rescued us.

I didn't quite see it that way, but then what do I know. I've only been watching 50 yrs or so
It was 0-0 until David Brooks came on and created 2 goals which allowed us to win the game 2-1. Those are the facts - no "apparently" or "50 yrs" experience required.

As a goalkeeping crisis looms. I thought I'd better explain who Marcus Dewhurst is. After all, he's "only a heartbeat away" from a place on the Bench for The Championship. My Blog includes a tale of the tape list of United's current Goalkeeping resources. Brooks didn't change the game, but the game changed once he came on. All that & Chantry beer on the Blog. Bring your gloves......

http://ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/bring-your-gloves.html

Brooks didn't change the game, but the game changed once he came on

I'd argue it started changing shortly before, they'd suddenly picked up the pace a little with the subs readying themselves.

I like Brooks, if I could be bothered I'd find my comment a long time ago that if he grows he'll become a real footballer, but he won't be helped by everyone creaming their pants any time he gets within 10 yards of the ball.

Yes Brooks and Stevens changed the second half, a lot of sloppy play tonight and at the Chessy Game.

Surely pre season is the time to be sloppy, it's about ironing out the poor performances and getting fit. I'm sure I remember us losing every game pre season and having a storming season and also doing the opposite. Nothing should be read into other than fitness.

To say these were the worst championship side by a country mile last season, it's a bit of a reality check to those who think we'll be high up the table with the current team

Friendly or not, it's our strongest 11 vs a league one team

200.webp

Any ideas as to why billy was dragged off at half time again? Sure that's the last two friendliest he's only played 45 minutes.

Any ideas as to why billy was dragged off at half time again? Sure that's the last two friendliest he's only played 45 minutes.

Sacrilege! How dare they do that to the prophet Billy! Heathens!

Could it be that part of pre season is about testing out different options on the field of play? Or should Billy be exempt from that as well?

My biggest concern last night... with a massive dollop of "it's just a friendly"... is that our midfield trio were our strongest area of the pitch. And that's where we're looking at making most reinforcements.

I thought Carruthers was excellent while Fleck and Coutts grew into the game and Brooks was good when he came on.

To be fair to Roth, they were in our faces and played a good tempo which made it hard.

Freeman was absolutely awful and Lafferty not much better. Same goes for Billy and Leon.

Sacrilege! How dare they do that to the prophet Billy! Heathens!

Could it be that part of pre season is about testing out different options on the field of play? Or should Billy be exempt from that as well?
Did I in any way imply that he doesn't deserve to be taken off at any time? I've been in morocco for two weeks so haven't been able to attend the games, or keep up with a deal of news, was unsure if he may have been carrying a knock?

I'd argue it started changing shortly before, they'd suddenly picked up the pace a little with the subs readying themselves.

I like Brooks, if I could be bothered I'd find my comment a long time ago that if he grows he'll become a real footballer, but he won't be helped by everyone creaming their pants any time he gets within 10 yards of the ball.
Strange thing about the 2ND goal::
Brooks dinked a pass over the defence for Stevens to run on to millers player looked favourite to get there first but the ball sat up just like tennis balls do ( back spin ),this completely foxed the defender and goalkeeper and left Stevens with a simple tap in which he took calmly.
It is rare to see such a pass great bit of skill if Brooks meant it.

Credit to Eastwood, didn`t put a foot wrong, commanding of his box too.
Best I`ve ever seen from him, surprised me how good he was.
Obviously still need a quality keeper in, Andy Lonergan at Wolves my shout.

Overall a good game to watch, thought Curruthers did well, influenced the game, and will rival Duffy to start the Brentford game.
Only other issue is Lafferty or Stevens for left back.

Brooks did ok, set up Bashams low cross that forced the own goal, and a nice dink for Stevens to score, although it was poor defending from Fisher.
Will be a nice option from the bench, need to hang on to him.

As a goalkeeping crisis looms. I thought I'd better explain who Marcus Dewhurst is. After all, he's "only a heartbeat away" from a place on the Bench for The Championship. My Blog includes a tale of the tape list of United's current Goalkeeping resources. Brooks didn't change the game, but the game changed once he came on. All that & Chantry beer on the Blog. Bring your gloves......

http://ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/bring-your-gloves.html

Great Blog mate, but 1-0 down when Brooks came on?

Are you sure that ale was only 4.2% you were supping :confused:

I think we all like Brooks and we all have high hopes for him but in real terms he's done nothing yet.

Some people are getting way too far ahead of themselves.

Credit to Eastwood thought he did excellent, still need to get someone else in to cover Moore though. It's a shame we haven't got to see anything of Baldock, reckon he'll be a decent signing

Brooks creates that buzz which you eloquently describe as "everyone creaming their pants". It's a sign that people expect something good to happen when he's on the ball. It's a natural crowd reaction to a good and exciting player, which he is.

I'm not afraid to praise him and get excited for his future just because of his age. He's good enough to play a part from what I've seen of him. Not making claims that he's going to play for England or anything just yet but simply that he's obviously good enough to cause teams in the Championship problems.

It's a sign that people expect something good to happen when he's on the ball. It's a natural crowd reaction to a good and exciting player, which he is.

The point I'm making is not how good he is, but that the excitement is currently from little other than expectation only, based on being told about him... Look back over my posts over an extended period of time, I've mentioned him long before he burst to the fore.

I'm just more comfortable with people going overboard when he actually does something... Rather than just because he's on the pitch.

'you can tell he's a class above' - Erm... He's not touched the ball yet mate, nor particularly moved.

'the others just aren't on his wavelength' - no pal, it was a (fairly rare) poor ball from him straight to an opponent.

He's a talent, but lets not suffocate him with overhyped expectation, otherwise in 3 months time he'll be getting the stick and crap Diego did.

The point I'm making is not how good he is, but that the excitement is currently from little other than expectation only, based on being told about him... Look back over my posts over an extended period of time, I've mentioned him long before he burst to the fore.

I'm just more comfortable with people going overboard when he actually does something... Rather than just because he's on the pitch.

'you can tell he's a class above' - Erm... He's not touched the ball yet mate, nor particularly moved.

'the others just aren't on his wavelength' - no pal, it was a (fairly rare) poor ball from him straight to an opponent.

He's a talent, but lets not suffocate him with overhyped expectation, otherwise in 3 months time he'll be getting the stick and crap Diego did.
I agree and expect that you're talking about people who are actually going too far with what they are saying - I don't feel I've done that.

Also not going to profess to have followed him intensely from a young age but I have seen him play in the flesh about half a dozen times now and when previously I've been impressed with his touch and how elegant he looks on the ball, it seems he's added some directness to his game which from the 3 friendlies I've seen has made him look like one of the best players on the pitch. I can't get away from feeling that and based on that expect him to play a part vs. Brentford. Do you think he's not ready for that?

Brooks looks an exciting prospect just now , but its not proper competitive football
wait until the challenges carry a few extra stones behind them , when hes up against a quality 6 foot 6 inch monster whos stopped better players
Stuffing stocksbridge and pre season friendlies at 75% pace are not true indicators of his talent
Reserve judgement till he destroys Middlesborough or even Forest
Was not DeGeralamo going to do what some of what Brooks is thought to be capable of, before he ht competitive football
Even looking outstanding in a under 21 tournament , Diego did that

This. Give the kid a chance to develop into a career instead of heaping expectation on him. I've mentioned Diego in other threads as it was the same thing with him. Ditto with Long. It doesn't help the player or the club. Especially when we have Christiano Basham.

Back
Top Bottom