Retained List

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's clear we have a small budget. Hence, we are probably going to play the underdog card this year. We will be relying on grit, determination, never say die attitude and shithousery to achieve anything this season. Along with Baldock, Robbo is a shithouse who will wind up the opposition, put a winger into the advertising boards if he has to, give his all and get the crowd going through his actions. We need to keep him, and buy another shithouse for midfield too preferably. Maybe one up top too.

There were some very average teams in the Championship last season.
No hiding place now though against the ultra quick passing and running in behind of some of the Premier league players

If JR is a first choice defender next year then we are definitely in for a tough season. Keep him as back up by all means but we will need someone better.
Hopefully the lowball offer to Robbo , added to the uncertainty about RND fitness , must logically mean that we are expecting to recruit a LCB for the starting 11 ?
Is Bash really our first reserve for RCB/CCB when either Anel or Egan is injured or suspended ?
That's not enough , we need another younger R-footed CB.
And we surely must replace Doyle & McAtee , so 2 x MF.
And a STKR.
Roll-up to roll-up , who will buy + invest in dem Blades ?

It's clear we have a small budget. Hence, we are probably going to play the underdog card this year. We will be relying on grit, determination, never say die attitude and shithousery to achieve anything this season. Along with Baldock, Robbo is a shithouse who will wind up the opposition, put a winger into the advertising boards if he has to, give his all and get the crowd going through his actions. We need to keep him, and buy another shithouse for midfield too preferably. Maybe one up top too.
Unfortunately VAR does cover tackles resulting in collision with advertising boards 😉

There were some very average teams in the Championship last season.
No hiding place now though against the ultra quick passing and running in behind of some of the Premier league players
Yep , it's a whole new ball-game.
I hope our guys have been improving their fitness over the summer in order to be ready for the challenge - otherwise they are gonna be embarrassed.
I hated what Lunny did to us in 20/21 but one thing I do recall is that after hardly playing much in 18/19 , he returned after summer 19 in fantastic athletic shape - he'd clearly trained all summer off his own bat + rose to the physical standard demanded by the PL.
McBurnie managed to improve his athleticism last summer and it paid-off.
Our guys ought to have their own pride as a motivator.
There's no hiding place now for those who can't keep up physically.
We also need to ensure that every single signing has no injury tendencies and is fast & powerful - we don't have the strength-in-depth to wait for new players to reach match-fitness or shake-off lingering injuries.

Hopefully the lowball offer to Robbo , added to the uncertainty about RND fitness , must logically mean that we are expecting to recruit a LCB for the starting 11 ?
Is Bash really our first reserve for RCB/CCB when either Anel or Egan is injured or suspended ?
That's not enough , we need another younger R-footed CB.
And we surely must replace Doyle & McAtee , so 2 x MF.
And a STKR.
Roll-up to roll-up , who will buy + invest in dem Blades ?
I'm thinking it might be big and clever to sign cover for CB and RCB............. who is also the starting LCB

Whether they are a left footer or right footer

Just sign the best player we can

Hadzikadunic might be worth a shout, or Rodon from Spurs

As much as there was an initial clamouring to keep the squad together, would it really be the end of the world if not all of the four checked in?

I don't get the budget point either. There is nothing to stop me not signing Fleck and in his place signing someone who is out of contract on the same or less money, maybe even someone who can run a bit. Likewise there is nothing to stop me not signing Osborn and in his place signing someone on the same or less money, maybe someone who is tall enough to get on all the rides at the fairground too!

If they don't want to sign then losing time looking for their replacement suits us least of all.

As to Wes, he has to be careful what he wishes for. His form was less good in the season just gone then the prior season, albeit it, still acceptable. He could well be one Hecky is 50/50 on replacing. If he messes us around then he gives Hecky more time to convince himself this is a route worth exploring.

I don't know with Robbo. Won't be signed as a full back, not a centre half in a two. Weve kind of pigeon-holed him now. Who is offering him anywhere near his current deal, nevermind a slight uptick and plays a three? Answer on a very small postcard.

So to the lads in question, it's shit or get off the pot time!

we must bring another keeper in to challenge wes next season fleck robinson and osborn can all move on for me and think the lowball salary offer from united means they reject it or all stay on as 2nd best choices at best

As much as there was an initial clamouring to keep the squad together, would it really be the end of the world if not all of the four checked in?

I don't get the budget point either. There is nothing to stop me not signing Fleck and in his place signing someone who is out of contract on the same or less money, maybe even someone who can run a bit. Likewise there is nothing to stop me not signing Osborn and in his place signing someone on the same or less money, maybe someone who is tall enough to get on all the rides at the fairground too!

If they don't want to sign then losing time looking for their replacement suits us least of all.

As to Wes, he has to be careful what he wishes for. His form was less good in the season just gone then the prior season, albeit it, still acceptable. He could well be one Hecky is 50/50 on replacing. If he messes us around then he gives Hecky more time to convince himself this is a route worth exploring.

I don't know with Robbo. Won't be signed as a full back, not a centre half in a two. Weve kind of pigeon-holed him now. Who is offering him anywhere near his current deal, nevermind a slight uptick and plays a three? Answer on a very small postcard.

So to the lads in question, it's shit or get off the pot time!
Who is on a free that could replace Fleck or Osborn for the same money, with their experience? These lads fit in well with the group and have done it in the PL before.

I've heard James McArthur talked about. Similar sort of player to Fleck, similar situation. Will want more money, may not gel with the squad/coaching team.

Not a huge fan of Robinson but my god he performed at a level I didn't think was possible last season. He's a very good championship defender. We're going to be on the back foot in most games this coming season and having proper defenders like him and Baldock is a must. Both will put their bodies on the line. Remember when we were all concerned about Morgan stepping up? He was actually fantastic in the top flight as he stuck to just old-fashioned defending. If Robinson does the same then we've got another square peg in a square whole.

Who is on a free that could replace Fleck or Osborn for the same money, with their experience? These lads fit in well with the group and have done it in the PL before.

I've heard James McArthur talked about. Similar sort of player to Fleck, similar situation. Will want more money, may not gel with the squad/coaching team.
To be honest mate, I'm not at liberty to tell you 😉

I'll give you a couple of thoughtful examples, on the proviso that you don't just respond by pulling apart the example:

Daniel Johnson - Preston, 30
Jack Colback - Forest, 33

I'd say those two would be comparable in terms of ability, coverage and overall combined salary contribution and are both out of contract. They also aren't some random foreigner that we can't relate to either.

It's the same point some on here make about who could possibly replace John Fleck and Ben Osborn for the same amount of money. There are literally hundreds of footballers out there who could come in and who would be as good (I mean how could we possibly replace John Flecks contribution with all the goals and assists that he made...!)

If we cannot find a midfield player who could come in for equal of less money and be more mobile then the scouting network needs a complete overhaul. You could argue that JF has been here for x years and had experience, you could counter that by saying he's now going backwards at a tremendous rate of knots and we need someone quicker taller and more mobile. For example go through all the league 1 clubs and see if anyone who plays in midfield won the POTY for their team. Would they be any worse than an injury prone JF from last season for instance? I like JF. But it's time he was moved on and offering him a new contract is a mistake (as is offering one to Ben Osborn).

Last edited:

Not a huge fan of Robinson but my god he performed at a level I didn't think was possible last season. He's a very good championship defender. We're going to be on the back foot in most games this coming season and having proper defenders like him and Baldock is a must. Both will put their bodies on the line. Remember when we were all concerned about Morgan stepping up? He was actually fantastic in the top flight as he stuck to just old-fashioned defending. If Robinson does the same then we've got another square peg in a square whole.

Did Robinson's performance at Wembley not provide an indication of how much he'd struggle at Prem level?

Is there a time-limit on Fleck , Osborn & Robbo signing the contract we've offered ?

I think there's a place for JLT in the squad for the shithouse reasons mentioned previously.

Fleck is way past it and Osborn is a jack of all trades, master of none footballer who has never nailed down a place in the team, fit or not.

If they all turn down what's offered then I won't lose any sleep over them not being here next season.

Even if they grudgingly stay , I can't help thinking that their attitude will have been negatively affected by what's happened.
Do they become free agents on 30 June ?
Do they bother coming in for pre-season ?
Can they hawk themselves around all summer + then decide to accept our offer in August ?
All a bit of a mystery.
It's almost like we couldn't decide whether or not we wanted them.

To be honest mate, I'm not at liberty to tell you 😉

I'll give you a couple of thoughtful examples, on the proviso that you don't just respond by pulling apart the example:

Daniel Johnson - Preston, 30
Jack Colback - Forest, 33

I'd say those two would be comparable in terms of ability, coverage and overall combined salary contribution and are both out of contract. They also aren't some random foreigner that we can't relate to either.
Daniel Johnson is quite tasty tbh. Wouldn't be more expensive than Fleck and every time he's played against us he's looked class.

Assume there's a reason he's not left Preston though at 30, is he good enough for the Prem?

I know you aren't necessarily saying he is, just that he's a better option than Fleck. But Fleck has played PL football (and played very well), fits the squad and sets standards in training (apparently). Even for a good example like this, it's a toss up for me.

Just remember for the ten games Hecky was in charge in the Prem, he started both Robinson and Osborn, they both played decently, particularly JLT. It was not very inspiring, but we looked organised and picked up enough points to be competitive. This time around we are probably not asking either of them to be starters and JLT certainly has improved since as a player. They are both settled members of the team, know the system etc...I have questions about Fleck, mainly it makes.me think we are only going to bring in one centre mid......but otherwise, I don't see the drama in this retained list.

Even if they grudgingly stay , I can't help thinking that their attitude will have been negatively affected by what's happened.
Do they become free agents on 30 June ?
Do they bother coming in for pre-season ?
Can they hawk themselves around all summer + then decide to accept our offer in August ?
All a bit of a mystery.
It's almost like we couldn't decide whether or not we wanted them.
Robinson and Osborn have great attitudes which is why their careers possibly amount to more than their skills imo.

The option to remain and play in PL will surely ensure this attitude and decision to stay is maintained.

They both will know that the right attitude is the only acceptable way too with our support (as it should be!)

i would say all 3 are waiting for better offers to come in they would have signed already i think fleck and osborn can both go for me but robinson could be handy from the bench and the shithousery that goes with him mcburnie is in a similar vein as robinson should only be used from the bench we need better in both positions

Contract offers made
Zak Brunt
Jack Robinson

Released
Jack O'Connell
Billy Sharp
Enda Stevens
Kyron Gordon

Development players released
Thomas Angell
Hassan Ayari
Jean Belehouan
Callum Hiddleston
Joe Starbuck
Luther Williams
John Oluleye
Henry Hampshaw

Be interesting to see where these all move on too.

Contract offers made
Zak Brunt
Jack Robinson

Released
Jack O'Connell
Billy Sharp
Enda Stevens
Kyron Gordon

Development players released
Thomas Angell
Hassan Ayari
Jean Belehouan
Callum Hiddleston
Joe Starbuck
Luther Williams
John Oluleye
Henry Hampshaw

Be interesting to see where these all move on too.
Brunt - Barnet
Stevens - Stoke

Back
Top Bottom