Ref watch

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Strange to say I thought he got a lot of minor decisions wrong, but actually reffed the game excellently, and kept control, giving out cards when they were deserved.
That linesman near the away end though. He made one decision all night and that was to put a long-sleeved shirt on.

The ref tonight was excellent. A few times he pissed me off for not giving us free kicks, but on reflection they would have been soft ones and he did exactly the same for both sides. I made a point of highlighting it to my young lad and I hope the ref hears the good feedback somehow because they get enough shit the other way.

No not going with this praise for the ref, you can talk about letting the game flow, but that doesn’t mean you ignore blatant fouls when you come through the back of a player. The really good refs don’t fall for the diving but still pull up the real fouls.

Said in Shoutbox that I enjoyed the ref's performance. He was consistent in his application of the rules. Wasn't going to give soft ones, nor reward players that were playing for free kicks. Let the game flow.

Highlight for me was the ref not booking Hourihane for a blatant foul on Wilson,, it was obvious from the ref chatting and pointing to the other end of the pitch, that he was telling Hourihane, look I get it, you reacted 1 minute after you got pushed over, it wasn't a foul, now anymore from you and it will be a booking

I felt in the first half he gave us nothing but he did seem to even things up and let the game flow as the match wore on and overall I think he was consistent to both teams. I think we all get so used to watching PL refs who give a foul for the slightest contact we forget what it’s like to watch an old fashioned interpretation of the rules. It’s a contact sport at the end of the day.

Really? I thought the ref was blind!

If I were a Fulham supporter I'd be pissed at some of the decisions.

Bogle was sailing pretty close to the wind and lucky not to get sent off, Fulham players complaining he kicked the ball away after ref gave a free kick instead of getting a second yellow ref clearly looked at him, waved his hands in a sweeping no gesture and clearly said NO MORE so good referee there on our part.

Although I do think we should have got a foul on MGW when he got clipped from behind on his right foot which ended up with him being took off injured.

Bogle was sailing pretty close to the wind and lucky not to get sent off, Fulham players complaining he kicked the ball away after ref gave a free kick instead of getting a second yellow ref clearly looked at him, waved his hands in a sweeping no gesture and clearly said NO MORE so good referee there on our part.

Although I do think we should have got a foul on MGW when he got clipped from behind on his right foot which ended up with him being took off injured.
That’s a really good point. We rarely see refs warning players anymore, it’s straight to a card.

That linesman near the away end though. He made one decision all night and that was to put a long-sleeved shirt on.
What's happened to linesmen ? They do fuck all these days , not even their own job , never mind "assist the referee".
It's ironic that since they took the title of 'Assistant Referee' they've done way less than when they were just 'Linesmen'.
They don't even want to say who's throw-in it is ... just wait for the ref.
I mean , you've got a flag - feckin just stick it up one way or the other FFS.
You'll get some wrong - so what ?
You might even get overruled by the Ref - so what ?
Be a feckin man about it and make a feckin decision !
Otherwise , why are you there ?

Thought the ref let the game flow better than others but let some fouls go that were blatant but to both sides so it evened its self out.Their manager blames him for loss and an apparant lucky goal by us...what a bitter little turd.

I just thought he was a bit random with his decisions but he certainly give any free kicks for soft fouls.

What's happened to linesmen ? They do fuck all these days , not even their own job , never mind "assist the referee".
It's ironic that since they took the title of 'Assistant Referee' they've done way less than when they were just 'Linesmen'.

He did give them a corner after Bash took it out and played on the ref gave a goal kick.

They do seem to be a lot more useless these days, cant remember last time I saw ref go over and have discussion with a linemans. Although thats a stupid comment as they all have mic's nowadays. 🤣

He did give them a corner after Bash took it out and played on the ref gave a goal kick.

They do seem to be a lot more useless these days, cant remember last time I saw ref go over and have discussion with a linemans. Although thats a stupid comment as they all have mic's nowadays. 🤣
The referee played on because Basham didn't take the ball out (at least that's what it looked like from my vantage point). The corner was given by the linesman from the far side of the pitch.

The referee played on because Basham didn't take the ball out (at least that's what it looked like from my vantage point). The corner was given by the linesman from the far side of the pitch.

Replay showed it went out. I was standing up for the Assistant Referee as he was right and one of the few times you see the ref overruled. :)

I felt in the first half he gave us nothing but he did seem to even things up and let the game flow as the match wore on and overall I think he was consistent to both teams. I think we all get so used to watching PL refs who give a foul for the slightest contact we forget what it’s like to watch an old fashioned interpretation of the rules. It’s a contact sport at the end of the day.
That's the things with the Laws of the game there is nothing in there to suggest it is a contact sport. It's not rugby where you can trip an opponent with your hand/ tackle etc.
https://www.thefa.com/football-rule.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

The 3 cateorgies of severeness of, careless, reckless or use of excessive force should be there to judge does the contact warrant free kick only or caution and yellow card or send off.

There are so many myths that commentators and former players come out with like he didn't even touch him

"trips or attempts to trip"
Covers this also there isn't anything to do with shoulder on shoulder or shoulder charges like the commentators would have you believe. I personally think there should be a mandatory test for commentators on the Laws of the Game, least then some things might be clarified on commentary.

Refs and ARs communicate more than you think. At Prem and EFL level, it will be via microphones/headsets and even down to step 5/6 most refs have buzzer flags so ARs can bring anything they see to the ref's attention.

To avoid players and coaches potentially trying to play one official off against the other, they try wherever possible to be aligned on decisions. The comms systems I mention help but eye contact and small signals are also used. If a ref isn't sure on any decision, especially if they're in the area of the AR's area credibility (generally 20-30 yards of them), they'll be led by the AR - that alignment can take a short time which may be what you perceive as hesitancy. The only time refs tend to overrule is when they're 100% sure they're correct and/or the AR is incorrect in law e.g. if they flag for an offside but the pass was played by a defender.

Refs and ARs communicate more than you think. At Prem and EFL level, it will be via microphones/headsets and even down to step 5/6 most refs have buzzer flags so ARs can bring anything they see to the ref's attention.

To avoid players and coaches potentially trying to play one official off against the other, they try wherever possible to be aligned on decisions. The comms systems I mention help but eye contact and small signals are also used. If a ref isn't sure on any decision, especially if they're in the area of the AR's area credibility (generally 20-30 yards of them), they'll be led by the AR - that alignment can take a short time which may be what you perceive as hesitancy. The only time refs tend to overrule is when they're 100% sure they're correct and/or the AR is incorrect in law e.g. if they flag for an offside but the pass was played by a defender.
i live and learn ... but I do believe I've seen ARs hestitate about throw-ins which , in my old-fashioned eyes , ought to result in an immediate flag , to be overruled , as you say , only if the ref is 100% sure.
after all , deciding who made the last contact with a ball on its way out is not something that needs thinking about , in contrast to , say , a ref taking a moment or two on whether the degree of contact is sufficient for a penalty

i live and learn ... but I do believe I've seen ARs hestitate about throw-ins which , in my old-fashioned eyes , ought to result in an immediate flag , to be overruled , as you say , only if the ref is 100% sure.
after all , deciding who made the last contact with a ball on its way out is not something that needs thinking about , in contrast to , say , a ref taking a moment or two on whether the degree of contact is sufficient for a penalty

Again, refs and ARs try to be aligned at throw-ins and ideally want signal together - the time it takes them to do that may be what you read as hesitancy. When you're next watching a game, especially when headsets aren't being used, keep an eye out for subtle signals between the ref and AR before they indicate which way they're awarding a throw-in. Refs tend to point left or right down by their sides to the AR which way they're expecting to give the throw-in. That is usually confirmed via eye contact or a nod of agreement and followed by the decision. If ARs are adamant they're correct and the referee is wrong e.g. having seen a deflection from a player on the blind side of the ref, they will agitate the flag the way they feel the throw-in should be given while it's still down by their side. Again eye contact or a nod of agreement is done before the decision is signalled. Those behaviours and examples are the reasons why it's pretty rare for officials to be misaligned on decisions and for the ref to have to overrule these days.

Most decisions might appear obvious, especially when you're sat in the stands or watching on tv but I can assure you that even getting throw-ins right when you're either reffing or being an AR isn't always easy. The things I tend to find most challenging as an AR are throw-ins where the ball crosses your touchline but a long way from you e.g. if the ball goes out near the far corner flag in the other half of the pitch (refs should take the lead for those calls and the AR support the decision by flagging the same way) and when the ball is near the touchline and played forward - the AR needs to check for the ball going out of play, any fouls being committed and offsides - it's not easy to look three different ways at once! :)

That's the things with the Laws of the game there is nothing in there to suggest it is a contact sport. It's not rugby where you can trip an opponent with your hand/ tackle etc.
https://www.thefa.com/football-rule.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

The 3 cateorgies of severeness of, careless, reckless or use of excessive force should be there to judge does the contact warrant free kick only or caution and yellow card or send off.

There are so many myths that commentators and former players come out with like he didn't even touch him

"trips or attempts to trip"
Covers this also there isn't anything to do with shoulder on shoulder or shoulder charges like the commentators would have you believe. I personally think there should be a mandatory test for commentators on the Laws of the Game, least then some things might be clarified on commentary.
I totally agree there should be a mandatory test on the rules for commentators and pundits as having read the link, clearly most of the current ones do’t know them. There is also a complete lack of consistency in how they are applied, especially with VAR. I confess I have never read them! I feel sure that when I played football at school a “shoulder charge” (I.e, shoulder to shoulder when one player had the ball) was quite permissible.
The rules may not say it’s a contact sport but equally it doesn’t say there cannot be any contact other than certain specific things like a push or trip for example. It would be very interesting to watch a tv program dealing with the rules given by a current or ex EPL referee.
Clearly there seems to be, apart from the rules, a convention as to what is deemed a foul and what isn’t. Some rules just aren’t enforced. For example the goal keeper handling tha ball for only 6 seconds. Keepers seem to waste time messing about with impunity.

Again, refs and ARs try to be aligned at throw-ins and ideally want signal together - the time it takes them to do that may be what you read as hesitancy. When you're next watching a game, especially when headsets aren't being used, keep an eye out for subtle signals between the ref and AR before they indicate which way they're awarding a throw-in. Refs tend to point left or right down by their sides to the AR which way they're expecting to give the throw-in. That is usually confirmed via eye contact or a nod of agreement and followed by the decision. If ARs are adamant they're correct and the referee is wrong e.g. having seen a deflection from a player on the blind side of the ref, they will agitate the flag the way they feel the throw-in should be given while it's still down by their side. Again eye contact or a nod of agreement is done before the decision is signalled. Those behaviours and examples are the reasons why it's pretty rare for officials to be misaligned on decisions and for the ref to have to overrule these days.

Most decisions might appear obvious, especially when you're sat in the stands or watching on tv but I can assure you that even getting throw-ins right when you're either reffing or being an AR isn't always easy. The things I tend to find most challenging as an AR are throw-ins where the ball crosses your touchline but a long way from you e.g. if the ball goes out near the far corner flag in the other half of the pitch (refs should take the lead for those calls and the AR support the decision by flagging the same way) and when the ball is near the touchline and played forward - the AR needs to check for the ball going out of play, any fouls being committed and offsides - it's not easy to look three different ways at once! :)
So I infer from this that you are an AR - it's great to get an informed exposition of what actually goes on - i had no idea !
I'll look out for the little signs you mentioned when I'm at future games

Interesting ref for the Preston game. Only 29 years old - one of the youngest on the list. First season as a Level 2 official having being promoted onto the League only in 2019. I think it is the first time he has ever refereed us.
1640183610538.png

Back
Top Bottom