Recruitment

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We were not to know he would be worth the money he was going to be and we were in need of valuable funds to rebuild the squad.
we could be critical of some deals with McCabe involved but not that if someone pa

To be fair, I thought they over paid for Calvert Lewin. Shows what I know. Now Calvert Lewis,……
You're right though, he's hardly pulled any trees up, 12 lge goals in the last 3 years, I for one wouldn't be paying £40/50m or more for him

Why have we still not got a head of recruitment in yet?

Grbic - 1/10 He's been worse than Steve Simonsen, something I never thought I'd see. Cant kick, command his area, talk and has conceded 19 goals from an xGa of 10.
Holy shit is this a bad signing.
Traore - 3/10 Loaned out in january, even though we are horrendously poor, and he can't get a look in there. £5m. Wow. League 1 loan next season. There at least might be some hope we get a couple million back for him at some point.

Slimane - 1/10 Just to make it clear. This is a player who does not have the fitness, stamina or conditioning to play in the championship, and we signed him to play in midfield for a team that won't have much of the ball, in the premier league. At least the idea of signing e.g Auston Trusty made sense at first glance.

This Slimane signing is some proper tin pot shit, like Pheonix Nights levels of incompetence and idiocy.
He can't fucking run, so how do you think he's gonna get on for a team that won't have the ball in the premier league ffs. Unbelievable

Thomas - 1/10 Absolute maggot of a footballer. Christ almighty he was shit. Irredeemably awful.
Larouci - 2/10 Decent dribbler and can pass and move well. Shame he can't defend and worse than that, he's a player who plays on the wide left who CANNOT CROSS WITH HIS LEFT FOOT. How much do the scouts even watch these players?
Trusty - 4/10 Awful on the ball and been chasing shadows and ripped to shreds way to many times. Shown at times that we might be able to get some use out of him as a back up next season.
Davies - 2/10 Talented player, not much use if he never plays. 3 year deal and don't even wanna know what they're paying him.
Archer - 7/10 Good player and sadly for his career he's wasted a year playing for a bunch of jokers.
Souza - 4/10 Mediocre player with an ego. A bad apple who I reckon has caused a lot of problems this season. The defensive midfielder for the worst defensive team in premier league history. Thinks he's should be playing for Brazil when he's not even in the top 5 most talented midfielders at Sheffield United.
Hamer - 7/10 We were hoping for much more on a consistent basis but he's still clearly a good player. Will be huge for us next season

On top of that we're allegedly paying Holgate £70k per week. That's approximately £1.4mil for his short loan.

I stopped reading when I got to this as I just had to reply.
You think we're paying Mason Holgate, I repeat, Mason Holgate, what would be quite possibly twice the salary of any player we've ever paid before.

I'm sorry but I call on you to name the source who alleges this.

You think we're paying Mason Holgate, I repeat, Mason Holgate, what would be quite possibly twice the salary of any player we've ever paid before.

Look up the word "allegedly," which I clearly used. I've never stated it as fact, I've said he's supposedly on these wages.

I worry about our clubs short sightedness.

There could be a player in League One capable of replacing Norwood long term. Let's say Norwood was on £30k per week. If we didn't re-sign him we now have £30k per week to play with. Let's say the League One player was on £10k per week and we paid him £18k per week, now we've replaced Norwood and saved £12k per week, which could potentially pay another player or help reduce the overall wage bill.

On top of that we're allegedly paying Holgate £70k per week. That's approximately £1.4mil for his short loan. If we have £1.4mil to spend then put it towards the transfer fee of the League One player instead of a player who won't belong to us. In fact the £12k per week saved on Norwood's wages would amount to £624k over a year. So we'd have £2mil to go towards the fee and we'd have the wages free to pay the player.

Would Sheffield United do this? No. We'd waste £2-3mil on a loan signing who'd we have to replace the next season, or we'd spend the £30k per week saved on Norwood on four players, each on £5-8k per week in the hope that one of them might turn out good.

This next window is arguably the most important one in our recent history, and I for one am worried, as we have a poor record for wasting money on dross who we can't offload, or can't get money back on, wasting big money on expensive loan signings leaving us short when they leave, and generally just making a mess of recruitment through short sightedness and no clear and obvious long-term transfer strategy.
We aren't paying Holgate that much

Pretty evident now that the recruitment was a bit of a disaster in pre season. Hopefully Hamer is still here but I don't think many fans will be bothered if the rest left. Still hopeful that Trusty and Davies can give us something but I wouldn't be surprised if the others who joined us last year are moved on in the summer.

What a disgrace of a summer window we had in 23.. we all knew it was poor but I at least wanted to give them a full season.

I can see them all leaving and probably would struggle in the championship. Embarrassing.

Larouci (loan not perm)
Slimane
Souza
Traore

McAtee and Archer returning to their clubs and they've done ok.

Trusty, Davies, Hamer will probably do a job next season.

I’m holding out some hope on Tom Davies. I think if he can be fit he could be a real asset for us next season. Blaster Hamer Davies is very good for the championship.

Sell Souza and sign a replacements just a good championship midfielder, there are loads out of contract O’Hare or a loan like Tyler Morton. Supplement with Osborn , Slimane , Brooks (have the forum want it) and a Holgate type signing your midfield is done for the season.

I’m holding out some hope on Tom Davies. I think if he can be fit he could be a real asset for us next season. Blaster Hamer Davies is very good for the championship.

Sell Souza and sign a replacements just a good championship midfielder, there are loads out of contract O’Hare or a loan like Tyler Morton. Supplement with Osborn , Slimane , Brooks (have the forum want it) and a Holgate type signing your midfield is done for the season.
No chance on O'Hare, he'll get snapped up by a newly promoted team unless his wage demands are ridiculous. He won't stay in the Championship.

Players don't go from being injury prone to not being injury prone. Ergo, Tom Davies won't stay fit. Just like Brewster.

Pretty evident now that the recruitment was a bit of a disaster in pre season. Hopefully Hamer is still here but I don't think many fans will be bothered if the rest left. Still hopeful that Trusty and Davies can give us something but I wouldn't be surprised if the others who joined us last year are moved on in the summer.

We know already that Hamer would be seriously good in the Championship. He now has a few Premier League goals and assists to his name which is not bad for a midfielder playing for a very poor team rooted to the bottom of the table. I think we'd accept an offer in the same sort of ballpark of what we paid for him, so wouldn't be surprised to see a Prem team or maybe a top flight team in Holland come in for him.

Trusty showed at Birmingham last season that he can do a decent job at Championship level, so I've no worries there.

Players don't go from being injury prone to not being injury prone. Ergo, Tom Davies won't stay fit. Just like Brewster.
But everyone under Hecky had semi serious muscle related injuries.

They aren’t fit enough. It can be improved. But isit enough remains to be seen.

But he's not injury prone though is he? That's just a lazy assumption that seems to have spread on here.
Had a serious injury in the 21/22 season and then this season.
Players can get injured without being 'injury prone', especially when they play for Sheffield United.

1712742742332.png

But he's not injury prone though is he? That's just a lazy assumption that seems to have spread on here.
Had a serious injury in the 21/22 season and then this season.
Players can get injured without being 'injury prone', especially when they play for Sheffield United.

View attachment 181878
I'm sure I read he'd played 250 games by 25 years old.

I'm sure I read he'd played 250 games by 25 years old.
He hasnt had a prolonged period of starting games for many years. He hasnt managed more than 45 minutes of football for us yet this season.
He might not have a physically obvious injury but presume he may have some other issues which prevent him playing football or getting in good enough shape to play football. He looked somewhat rotund even after training with us for a month or so.
It all points to him being done as a professional who could play football regularly.
It was an insanely stupid deal we gave him.

The prince said we paid Berge 60k a week didn't he

Grbic - 1/10 He's been worse than Steve Simonsen, something I never thought I'd see. Cant kick, command his area, talk and has conceded 19 goals from an xGa of 10.
Holy shit is this a bad signing.
Traore - 3/10 Loaned out in january, even though we are horrendously poor, and he can't get a look in there. £5m. Wow. League 1 loan next season. There at least might be some hope we get a couple million back for him at some point.

Slimane - 1/10 Just to make it clear. This is a player who does not have the fitness, stamina or conditioning to play in the championship, and we signed him to play in midfield for a team that won't have much of the ball, in the premier league. At least the idea of signing e.g Auston Trusty made sense at first glance.

This Slimane signing is some proper tin pot shit, like Pheonix Nights levels of incompetence and idiocy.
He can't fucking run, so how do you think he's gonna get on for a team that won't have the ball in the premier league ffs. Unbelievable

Thomas - 1/10 Absolute maggot of a footballer. Christ almighty he was shit. Irredeemably awful.
Larouci - 2/10 Decent dribbler and can pass and move well. Shame he can't defend and worse than that, he's a player who plays on the wide left who CANNOT CROSS WITH HIS LEFT FOOT. How much do the scouts even watch these players?
Trusty - 4/10 Awful on the ball and been chasing shadows and ripped to shreds way to many times. Shown at times that we might be able to get some use out of him as a back up next season.
Davies - 2/10 Talented player, not much use if he never plays. 3 year deal and don't even wanna know what they're paying him.
Archer - 7/10 Good player and sadly for his career he's wasted a year playing for a bunch of jokers.
Souza - 4/10 Mediocre player with an ego. A bad apple who I reckon has caused a lot of problems this season. The defensive midfielder for the worst defensive team in premier league history. Thinks he's should be playing for Brazil when he's not even in the top 5 most talented midfielders at Sheffield United.
Hamer - 7/10 We were hoping for much more on a consistent basis but he's still clearly a good player. Will be huge for us next season
One thing about Souza, you can’t knock the lad’s confidence.

Pulled someone off the telly for at least three week with the “I’m a PL Footballer” line until she probably caught glimpse of the league table and saw who he played for.

Not only that, wasn’t his agent potentially offering him to Newcastle, the club we lost 8-0 to where he played defensive midfield?

Surely he gets a few more marks for sheer audacity!

But yea, you’re sadly very right. If we’d have sold Berge and Ndiaye and done fuck all entirely it might have been seen as a more successful window!

Look up the word "allegedly," which I clearly used. I've never stated it as fact, I've said he's supposedly on these wages.

Yes I understand what it means. I asked who alleged it? Who supposes we're paying that amount of money for him?

I fully expect Hamer to be sold. He's shown signs of promise and his numbers this season aren't bad considering he's been part of a dreadful time. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to one of the promoted clubs, Leeds would be my bet since they were after him in the summer too.

We'll try and sell Souza but will most probably take a loss on him as he's not very good.

I really hoped the Prince would have sold up by the time we were relegated as he's not fit to oversee the changes needed. He's showing this already by seemingly backing Wilder to lead us next season when it couldn't be clearer that this is the time for proper change at the club with so many out of contract. It's an opportunity to put a new system in place which will make us into a modern, forward thinking club. But no, he's sticking with Chris who in his own words will have his 'fingerprints all over the club.' Bringing in a new head of recruitment won't change any of that, especially when it's one of Wilder's mates again.

Back
Top Bottom