Recruitment moving forward

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladezz

Reaction score
Where do we turn now? We have spent a lot of money on our strike force and a lot of our players have very specific roles in the side so it’s difficult to just buy a like for like replacement.

But I don’t trust the recruitment team to even spend another £20m on a striker?

But we need change?

Not sure where to turn.

It will rightly be back to the cheap players. The Prince is understandably not going to give money out when we are all but down. The best thing we could do in January is get rid of those who won't be with us next season and see if we can pick up any bargains in the last year of their contract.

If anyone thinks we are getting anywhere near what we paid for Berge they are mistaken, no one will want McBurnie, unless a few Sunday sides are a bit flush with cash. Brewster will be going nowhere, hopefully he’ll make a player in the Championship.

If anyone thinks we are getting anywhere near what we paid for Berge they are mistaken, no one will want McBurnie, unless a few Sunday sides are a bit flush with cash. Brewster will be going nowhere, hopefully he’ll make a player in the Championship.
I think you are wrong about Sander.

Easily recoup what we paid.

Can’t disagree about the other bit though !!

UTB

Mcburnie and Brewster have both shown they are fantastic in the championship and not up too it in the PL. Many strikers are like this like Dwight Gayle etc.

Our strike force is championship standard I would be looking to use them in the division.

I think you are wrong about Sander.

Easily recoup what we paid.

Can’t disagree about the other bit though !!

UTB
He’s worth what we paid, but I’m going on the ‘Little old Sheffield United’ manual of conducting transfer business.

We’ll get £15m tops (or whatever his relegation release fee is).

We will make money on Berge, and lose money on Ramsdale imo.

The rest of them are good Championship players, so we ought to hang onto them, as we will probably need them next season.

He’s worth what we paid, but I’m going on the ‘Little old Sheffield United’ manual of conducting transfer business.

We’ll get £15m tops (or whatever his relegation release fee is).
I can see the potential and value in him integral to a better side.

Arteta is no mug. If he does indeed follow up the interest, and given the lengthy contract we have him on, a sensible and realistic position would be £30m.

UTB

I can see the potential and value in him integral to a better side.

Arteta is no mug. If he does indeed follow up the interest, and given the lengthy contract we have him on, a sensible and realistic position would be £30m.

UTB
I admire your optimism, as I said I don’t doubt his value, just our ability to secure a decent price.

If McCabe was in charge, I'd agree. He isn't, and the Prince hasn't been in this situation as yet.
If he looks in his top right drawer in his desk the manual on how to be wank at transfers will be there.

Unless clubs are willing to pay over 20 million a piece for McBurnie and Brewster they will stay. Leaving us with two young top quality Championship strikers outside of Ollie Watkins of recent years. Ramsdale again will command a big fee, can’t see anyone touching him.

Basham, Norwood, Sharp, Stevens all getting on. A premier league team would be taking a punt on JOC and Moose due to injury/injury record, think they will stay. Likes of Osborn, Bogle, Lowe all young not currently pulling up any trees.

Berge big fee needed, Egan, Fleck and Baldock most likely to be pinched. Lundstram leaving decimating the core our promotion side line up. Leaving us with a side full of potential and youth that cover the same positions. Brewster, Moose, McBurnie, Bogle, Lowe, RND, Slater, Berge (if he stays). IMO, Would need three new midfielders, A RWB, two central defenders. And a lot of time to gel.

I think we maybe overpaid but Mousett, Brewster, Ramsdale and Berge are decent players.

However, I think we got it hopelessly wrong when we signed McBurnie, I am absolutely amazed that someone sanctioned a £17M or thereabouts fee for him, on the basis that he was good at heading the ball.

I just hope we get him off the books, for any price, I can’t bear to watch him mincing about the pitch for another season whatever division were in 😤

I think we maybe overpaid but Mousett, Brewster, Ramsdale and Berge are decent players.

However, I think we got it hopelessly wrong when we signed McBurnie, I am absolutely amazed that someone sanctioned a £17M or thereabouts fee for him, on the basis that he was good at heading the ball.

I just hope we get him off the books, for any price, I can’t bear to watch him mincing about the pitch for another season whatever division were in 😤
In fairness McB looked good for Swansea. I preferred him over Maupay. His confidence is shot

If we are cut adrift in JTW, then i'd look to get Berge off the books at £20m and re-invest it on 2 or 3 young players who are either performing well in the championship for sides not in the promotion hunt or from europe & blood them in the PL for the 2nd half of the season. If we keep him until the summer, and go down, we'll get turned over.

We keep hold of McB and look to off load in the summer, hopefully if Swansea go up, they'll want him. He'll be 25 in June, and another season in the championship will not make him a PL level player.

We get RND back and allow him to challenge for a first team spot. Not sure where that leaves Stevens and Lowe.

Recent history suggest players from relegated teams do not come cheap so we are unlikely to lose money on any player. I don’t think our recruitment has been as bad as some think even McBurnie he was signed as a top championship striker who may or may not make the step up thus far he hasn’t shown us that that isn’t what he is we’d only lose significant value on him if we went down and he still didn’t score.

In January, I assume we'll need a couple of short term patches. We clearly have players in the squad who are not good enough to play. We need to somehow bring in a couple of loans to bolster the squad. Midfield is key. Norwood and Lunny should not be starting.

Then, I guess, it depends what league we're in.

If we stay up, then you'd guess that some of our players who are underperforming now will be overperforming again. We'd need to wait and see but we need a midfielder as a priority. Then Bash needs replacing and cover for JoC.

If we go down, I'd let anyone go who wants to (for a reasonable price). We've got a good championship squad. Lose a couple and get rid of some of the deadwood. Bring a couple in to freshen and get a couple of premier league loans.

In January, I assume we'll need a couple of short term patches. We clearly have players in the squad who are not good enough to play. We need to somehow bring in a couple of loans to bolster the squad. Midfield is key. Norwood and Lunny should not be starting.

Then, I guess, it depends what league we're in.
We need a left centre half who is workable whether it’s a long or short term option and then yeah we need two long term solutions in midfield. This is the first time since wilder came in when we don’t have a functioning three in the middle.

Welbeck scored twice last season in a team that got relegated. It's hardly criminal that we didn't try to sign an injury prone player on big wages who scored less PL goals last season than McBurnie or Mousset. Writing Brewster off already is ridiculous. He's played about 5 times in the league's worst attack. He can be a great player for this club. I'll stick my neck out and say he'll have scored more goals by the time he's 30 than Welbeck has.

We need a left centre half who is workable whether it’s a long or short term option and then yeah we need two long term solutions in midfield. This is the first time since wilder came in when we don’t have a functioning three in the middle.

Sorry, I edited whilst you were replying, but yeah. At the moment, it's debatable whether we have a functioning two. Norwood and Lunny are a no. Fleck has been poor since lockdown.

Heard a lot saying our team will be ravaged if we go down but dont see it. If we finish on the record low points total then no one wants many of our players. Norwich lost a couple and we'd be about the same.

People will see the car crash this season and see damaged goods.

I reckon Berge and maybe Egan. Lundstram will go. Mousset possibly abroad.

Berge may see a team like West Ham or Everton sign but we'd only get pur money back...maybe a bit more like the lad Everton signed from Watford...just under 30 mill was it.

Egan ditto. Not sure he is that much worse than a Godfrey type so again a mid to lower club like Newcastle may spend 10-15 mill on him.

Mousset..a Prem club may give us our money back for an impact sub but he's so injury prone/unfit not sure id pay 10 million+ for a player that barely can play. Maybe a French teams signs him but we'd take a loss.

The rest?

McBurnie, Brewster and Ramsdale...none proved themselves good enough at this level or even close yet.

Fleck barely looks Champ at the moment and his form has been like this for a fair while. Not sure anyone touches him even as cover.

Baldock is decent but he is still one of the worst RWBs / RBs in the league. Those scoffing have a quick scan through the teams and you'll struggle to see many he'd get in over if you take out the other bottom 3 teams. The fact he's been one of our best players makes it frightening.

Stevens...horribly off form and age wise teams will be put off.

Jack...depends if he gets fit. However if he is done this season he ain't going anywhere next summer....look at Brooks coming back from injury as an example no-one have signed.

Bash..too old and dropped off this sesmason.

Norwood...not good enough for Prem sadly

Freeman as above

Sharp and McGoldrick on the way down

Lowe/Bogle/Osborn/Robinson squad players even at Champ

I wouldn’t give the recruitment team 50p in January. We are gone - better well cut our cloth accordingly, we are going to need every penny next year.

we would have been as well lighting the 50+ million we spent in the summer of fire.

Heard a lot saying our team will be ravaged if we go down but dont see it. If we finish on the record low points total then no one wants many of our players. Norwich lost a couple and we'd be about the same.

People will see the car crash this season and see damaged goods.

I reckon Berge and maybe Egan. Lundstram will go. Mousset possibly abroad.

Berge may see a team like West Ham or Everton sign but we'd only get pur money back...maybe a bit more like the lad Everton signed from Watford...just under 30 mill was it.

Egan ditto. Not sure he is that much worse than a Godfrey type so again a mid to lower club like Newcastle may spend 10-15 mill on him.

Mousset..a Prem club may give us our money back for an impact sub but he's so injury prone/unfit not sure id pay 10 million+ for a player that barely can play. Maybe a French teams signs him but we'd take a loss.

The rest?

McBurnie, Brewster and Ramsdale...none proved themselves good enough at this level or even close yet.

Fleck barely looks Champ at the moment and his form has been like this for a fair while. Not sure anyone touches him even as cover.

Baldock is decent but he is still one of the worst RWBs / RBs in the league. Those scoffing have a quick scan through the teams and you'll struggle to see many he'd get in over if you take out the other bottom 3 teams. The fact he's been one of our best players makes it frightening.

Stevens...horribly off form and age wise teams will be put off.

Jack...depends if he gets fit. However if he is done this season he ain't going anywhere next summer....look at Brooks coming back from injury as an example no-one have signed.

Bash..too old and dropped off this sesmason.

Norwood...not good enough for Prem sadly

Freeman as above

Sharp and McGoldrick on the way down

Lowe/Bogle/Osborn/Robinson squad players even at Champ

I think only Berge will be sought after if we were to be relegated on similar form all season.

I honestly don't think Egan is good enough in a back 4 so it would have to be a team which play 5 at the back. Maybe a promoted team or someone like Brighton is Dunk goes, but I think he'll stay.

Mousset may get a move back to France but we'll be losing a lot of money.

Someone might test us with an offer for Brewster but we'd take a big hit in terms of value. I guess it would depend on him. I doubt he has fond memories so far!

and that's probably it. JoC won't have played for a year and I doubt anyone would take a punt in summer. More likely January, but again I'm not convinced he's likely to draw much attention or be that good in a back 4.

Sorry, I edited whilst you were replying, but yeah. At the moment, it's debatable whether we have a functioning two. Norwood and Lunny are a no. Fleck has been poor since lockdown.
I think fleck will return to form this is still early in his recovery but Norwood is a busted flush now and we’re unlikely to hold onto Berge long term. It’s no coincidence that our worst performances under wilder have been when we don’t have a functioning pivot when Coutts was injured and we just don’t have a pivot at all currently.

Back
Top Bottom