Ravel Morrison

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Some put staying at Southampton down to lack of ambition. I tend to the view that if you are happy with your life why change things? Good on him.

Me too comrade.......as someone who considers happiness as vital as how much wonga you receive each week, I subscribe to your view as to why Le Tis stayed put.

If ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ we’re sweets & nuts, Ravel would have had a very merry Christmas every year for the last decade.

Perhaps he just needs a proper pre-season with us? ;)
He has to earn the shirt like any other player with us having a decent start to the season he cant expect to claim a shirt on potential he has to earn the right and then do enough to keep it.
If that doesn't satisfy him Wilder wont tolerate him,I believe he accepts the challenge that he has ad works hard to get in.
Team spirit is based on hard graft and no one bigger than the actual team.
I look forward to him getting his chance when the coaching staff think he's earned it.

Reputation can be a bitch. Is the problem that everyone expects too much of him? Like he should be scoring worldies on every touch, when the fact is, he's just a good player not a Ronaldo?

But there is doubt about his ability then surely? Because the ability to affect the game is tied up with fitness, pace, mental attitude. I hope I’m wrong but he looks nowhere near a Premier League player so far
How can you judge that on what you've seen so far ,a few minutes and a MOM in the only 90 hes played. You seem to have a real downer on him from the minute we got him ,you have to at least give him a chance. Don't understand the dislike , not just from you from others too.

How can you judge that on what you've seen so far ,a few minutes and a MOM in the only 90 hes played. You seem to have a real downer on him from the minute we got him ,you have to at least give him a chance. Don't understand the dislike , not just from you from others too.
It's not an issue with him. If he's anything like as good as his potential then I'm guessing it'll be a pleasure to watch him. And my view when we signed him was just a guess that, based on his history it was unlikely he'd contribute. It's genuinely not dislike of him, it'll be a great story if it goes right

My issue is with people on here wanting to drop good, established players based on zero evidence he's ready for the first team. Based on how you felt about transfer speculation I thought you'd get that?

It's not an issue with him. If he's anything like as good as his potential then I'm guessing it'll be a pleasure to watch him. And my view when we signed him was just a guess that, based on his history it was unlikely he'd contribute. It's genuinely not dislike of him, it'll be a great story if it goes right

My issue is with people on here wanting to drop good, established players based on zero evidence he's ready for the first team. Based on how you felt about transfer speculation I thought you'd get that?
That's the point though ,he cant get the chance to impress ,because the players in there cant be dropped ,he cant possibly be judged on his appearances so far.

That's the point though ,he cant get the chance to impress ,because the players in there cant be dropped ,he cant possibly be judged on his appearances so far.
I was disappointed with the short time he got on the pitch against Leicester. Thought he looked well off the pace. Maybe I was expecting too much, too soon.

Similar catch 22 to Coutts last year. We wont know if he's good enough unless he plays a lot of minutes but we can't afford to carry anyone

Watching his performance v Blackburn I thought he'd probably work out in a team where he was allowed to do his own thing, United are a very disciplined unit everybody working all the time, no zoning out. If Morrison can put in at least 70 minutes of disciplined effort coupled with his amazing skills we have a really influential player. At the moment he reminds me of le Tissier who was always described as a 'luxury player'.

Based on his showing against Blackburn that’s exactly how I saw it too.

I was really impressed with parts of Ravs game when we were in possession.
He has soft feet, so his first touch is sublime, he also has good peripheral vision and awareness.
However out of possession he looked poor against Blackburn, he was generally jogging around looking like he wasn’t sure what to do.

I saw big potential but think he’s too risky to start with, playing Rav in the team might be like having 10 men. Suspect he’ll be brought on when we’re chasing a game and need a spark or when we’re 2 or 3 goals up. No doubt Wilder will know what to do. Sure he’ll get a chance.

and got man of the match in his first 90 minutes against Blackburn
He did but how he did is still under the stewards enquiry. I hope he is great but he needs it more than we do right now. He needs to grab it and so far he can’t make more than 10 mins. That said he is at a club where he has some time. Lunny shows what hard work does. Let’s see

Given a lot of posters have been watching football for more than 20 years (in some cases a lot more), it always surprises me that people still try to judge players after a couple of appearances.

Yet time and time again they do it.

We had it at half time against Chelsea. Callum Robinson not good enough apparently...whoops!

We, as much as any fanbase, should know better. Myself included. I remember writing Basham off after his first few games for us, and remember the large number of people who did the same with Coutts. Look how that turned out!

Whether he plays or not he’s officially a Prem player now with all the fringe benefits that come with it. Damned sight better than playing in Me i co.

Was that before he became Runaround ? :rolleyes:
Marty Done Is another of those enigma is for me
Saw him Notts County away and he seemed really effective
Afterwards plenty of industry but not much end product
In terms of Ravel
I think the opposite applies
He has not shown much yet
But will do down the road
Maybe not in a full sense until next season
Who knows

Got a bad feeling bout Ravel.. Think. It will. End in tears. His attitude will. Kick. In because he is not being considered. Seems to. Me hes got the billy big bollox ex man u player syndrome when obviously he aint good enough or his application or attitude is'nt,.. Im Guessing the latter

Morrison puzzles me, Man Utd fans rated him so highly, it was his temperament that let him down. But both times I have seen him he looks distinctly average.

Morrison puzzles me, Man Utd fans rated him so highly, it was his temperament that let him down. But both times I have seen him he looks distinctly average.

I'm hoping he's just got the face on because he's playing with our fringers.

Saying that though, he came on against Leicester didn't he? Did nowt for 20 minutes.

Showed glimpses in preseason, but yet to perform in anger.

It's too late in the day for him - simple as that. You can see he's got innate skill and some of his touches and vision are sublime. But he cannot make a telling contribution to any game - not even against a second string League 1 team tonight - it's a pity. I thought he looked an amazing player in those FA Youth Cup games - but his time has been and gone and he missed it. It's a cheap punt for us so nothing to lose there - but he won't be making the first team anytime soon or extending his stay with us.

It's too late in the day for him - simple as that. You can see he's got innate skill and some of his touches and vision are sublime. But he cannot make a telling contribution to any game - not even against a second string League 1 team tonight - it's a pity. I thought he looked an amazing player in those FA Youth Cup games - but his time has been and gone and he missed it. It's a cheap punt for us so nothing to lose there - but he won't be making the first team anytime soon or extending his stay with us.

A natural footballer, but one I want to dose up on amphetamine. Get involved lad!

Everyone I've spoken to who's seen him play in the Prem raves about him in terms of his talent. Coaches, managers, ex-players, also rave about his talent. It's not like he hasn't played Prem football before and looked good while doing it.

But he's like any other player. He has to earn a place here and it's not like we're talking about dropping anyone. Fleck's probably thinking that after three seasons this is the first time he won't walk back into the starting line up because of Freeman, Lundstram is defying all expectations, and Norwood is wearing the captain's armband.

It's not going to be easy for him to force a way through that and in a few ways that's a very good thing. One, we're only having this discussion about when he'll play because other players are doing the business - we aren't forced to throw him straight in because we're desperate for creativity. Two, if there's one thing it seems he needs to prove it's that he's willing to behave professionally and work hard - it's more of a test now than if he'd started every game, had no competition for his shirt, and didn't need to do his best. Three, it takes off a lot of the fan pressure because nobody's looking to Ravel thinking he's our only hope.
Thank you for articulating so well, the exact feeling I have regarding Morrison. It saves me the trouble of giving up drinking and applying serious focus to the subject.

At first, i was keen to see him start, just to know if the potential was there. Now I'm thinking, what a bonus he could turn out to be during a long hard winter, when we lose key players to injury.
I don't want one of our key men to break a leg, (think Coutts) but he could step in and grow into it.
It just shows what a canny, forward thinking bloke Wilder is.

In my opinion he shows obvious signs of class, great first touch, sees things quickly, plays some great balls weighted correctly to enable the recipient to take the ball in his stride.

But

He never gets out of first gear, not once have I seen him bust a gut to get into a good position or show urgency to cover off the ball.
Miles off a first team place as he expects things to happen as opposed to making them happen.

Exactly my thoughts .

I've never understood the clamour on here to get him in the first team without any evidence to support the idea that he has overcome his inability to make a telling contribution to games , which has been a feature of his career and the main reason he has been moved on so many times .

The fact that in his last 50 odd games playing in very average leagues he has managed just 1 goal and zero assists speaks volumes about his all round effectiveness as a player .

As Shakespeare rightly said " Tricks and flicks doth not the footballer make " ....... or summat like that . :)

His touches/flicks against Sunderland were great. He offered something, but he's one of them players that only looks good when we win. Can't judge him if the other 10 around him are shite.

He wants an age on the ball and makes no attempt to beat his man. If he took more risks our fans would appreciate him more.

Morrison was just alright last night. In glimpses he makes some touches and passes that look top draw. The problem with him, and it was a problem with a lot of the team last night, was that I expect to see someone of his calibre wanting the ball a lot more than he did. I'm not going to complain about any of our players not wanting to get stuck in and pick up knocks in a game we clearly care so little about. It's not great to watch but it is what it is. I was annoyed by the lack of movement off the ball from a supposedly attacking, creative player. There's no reason for them not to want the ball. But, again, he was far from the only one last night.

Still stick to everything I said before about him in this thread. Plenty of time for him and no risk for us.

Back
Top Bottom