Programme Corner

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I bought a programme for the home game with Reading because it was my nephews first Blades game. Before that I couldnt tell you when I last did. I'd like to say that the Internet has dulled my desire for a printed version but I can't.... Im just a tight fecker. 😂 😂

After a two year absence due to the pandemic the Sheffield Programme Fair is back.

Plenty of stuff from programmes to badges, from cards to tickets and the occasional gnome.

Its on the day after after the Blades go to Blackpool.

Scan 194.jpeg

No 6 Swansea City

For the second successive season Swansea aren't doing a programme, but at least you could an official hard copy via subscription which was distributed at the end of the season albeit you had to buy an entire season. This season they're not even affording that luxury, its online only.

Anyway there are printed hard copies available if you know who to ask.

Scan 175.jpeg

Former Blades CEO Julian Winter kicks off proceedings, followed by the obligatory manager note and the Captain, all three say roughly the same thing.

Its another sparse visitors section with a small white type set against a red background, Norwood, Ndiaye and let again Berge get the limelight.

There's then a full page in Welsh which was a riveting read.

Stillettos and studs recall fondly of Brewster and McBurnie time with the swans.

Jack the lad takes up the centre pages, where one fan muses 'do people in Wales call it 'football' or soccer?

The second half features cult heroes but I'm unable to read it as I've lost my glasses.

A masterpiece it isn't by any stretch of the imagination, but then its not going to be because its a hard copy of an online programme.

its a welcome gap filler, a service provided a fan for fans. And its professionally produced.

In a strange way, I'm quite glad they didn't do one on the night because it may have got trampled on when we got the winner.

PS dedicated To the lad who stood next to us, who left with two minutes to go, mumbling that it had 0-0 all over it... throughout the game.

I read the bit that Winter put. Seemed a bit odd he didn’t even welcome his former employers. Maybe he had a falling out. Or he’s just cold hearted.

No 7 Preston North End 'The One and Only'

A 68 page effort from the Lilywhites.

Didn't hold out too much hope but with a fairly large type set which for someone as old as me was definitely easier on the eye then most.

First few pages dedicated to recent games with a good gallery of photos and stats, just what the Carrier bag firm like.

Scan 177.jpeg

The programme's major interview is with former Blade Ben Whiteman who expresses his thanks to united for giving him is opportunity in the professional game.

Double pager on the ones to watch: Wes, Egan Ndiaye and Berge, followed by a page documenting Ollie Norwood's journey and Hecky too.

Then there's an opportunity to do the Ched Evans word search :)

Nice colour picture of the Preston players paying respect to Lizzie.

There's three pages in the historical section of players going back 100 years and then the standard Academy, Community, Development etc etc

I tried my hardest not to like it, Its a bit overpriced at £3.50 but its quite well laid out, has a bound spine and much easier to read than most.

No 8 Stoke City

After last season's freebie, the Potters have decided to back to a hard copy.

I'd had a preview of one of this season's programme a few weeks before and I wasn't impressed.

But I lived in hope, for last weekend's effort, false hope as it turned out, as Captain Mannering used to say 'You Stupid Boy'.

It all honesty its a 52 page abomination it screams online digital that Wayne Bloggs has just knocked out of his garage in Hanley.

Scan 229.jpeg

There's nothing in it apart from an interview with Lee Sandford.

There is a stats page that after I'd focused for about half an hour on before I could actually read it (because the type set is very small) has eight categories consisting of: Goals, Total Shots, Percentage of goals involved in, dribbles completed, successful passes, assists, chances created and saves.

Each category features the Top 5 in the Championship, there's not one United player makes the lists, so hey ho.

Safe to say that the Stoke programme was right up there with the result.

Don't forget the Sheffield Programme Fair is back this year and takes place its a traditional week between Christmas Day and New Year.

It's on Friday 30th December this year, at the Norton Country Club, S8..... so it won't clash with our game at Blackpool.

Interesting feature on the demise of the printed Programme on talk sport now. For those that want to listen online and rewind. 1120 am now and it’s a few mins in

For those completists out there, obviously there was no Bristol City programme available at Ashton Gate the other week but there are a couple of sources that you can get a good hard copy (printed version) of the digital version.

This doesn't include getting them from some bloke in a garage in Belorussia.

If anyone needs one then let me know and I'll give you the contact number

Auction watch.

1 or 2 interesting items from the programme world surfaced over the last few weeks on eBay:

Lincoln City v United 1944/5 Postponed fetched £335

and the United v Wednesday did very well to get £295. That's normally a £200 programme

Even more surprising was the 47/8 home game v Manchester United.

Now I know anything Man Utd tends to go for an added premium but £150? Come on who's left the gates to the asylum open.

Finally, we cast an eye on tickets, I confess I really don't understand the ticket market anymore, I still don't see why the 70s tickets continue to demand such attention but even they were trumped recently, when a ticket from TC's Testimonial match went for £75.
The seller was none other than our very own Spongebob, perhaps he can now afford to have a shave. ;)

See you all at the Sheffield Fair in December.

Sharrowblade
What's the etiquette if I think I've got tickets which aren't on your Flickr site?
I guess I'm bluntly asking, are you interested in just taking photos of them and putting them on the site, or do you have to "own" the ticket.
(Sorry mate, don't have your number, take it to private message if you want.

Sharrowblade
What's the etiquette if I think I've got tickets which aren't on your Flickr site?
I guess I'm bluntly asking, are you interested in just taking photos of them and putting them on the site, or do you have to "own" the ticket.
(Sorry mate, don't have your number, take it to private message if you want.
sent you a message mate

Auction watch.

1 or 2 interesting items from the programme world surfaced over the last few weeks on eBay:

and the United v Wednesday did very well to get £295. That's normally a £200 programme

Now I know anything Man Utd tends to go for an added premium but £150? Come on who's left the gates to the asylum open.

Finally, we cast an eye on tickets, I confess I really don't understand the ticket market anymore, I still don't see why the 70s tickets continue to demand such attention but even they were trumped recently, when a ticket from TC's Testimonial match went for £75.
The seller was none other than our very own Spongebob, perhaps he can now afford to have a shave. ;)

The saddest part is that I had 2 of the TC testimonial tickets. Someone offered me £12 for one and I snatched there hand off…. The beard meanwhile though now going white is a permanent fixture mate 🤣

Auction watch.

I get the Lincoln 44/5. It’s so rare and 1 certain collector was always going to push the boat out. It’s also been a while since the Utd v Wednesday programme has been on offer and again I know the buyer.. The 47/8 Man Utd is a real head scratcher though

I'm a bit confused over the Lincoln one, (or it maybe that I had a heavy night) but the programme that went for £335 was dated 10th March 1945, according to my records that game was actually played. 🤔 🤔 🤔 :oops:

I'm a bit confused over the Lincoln one, (or it maybe that I had a heavy night) but the programme that went for £335 was dated 10th March 1945, according to my records that game was actually played. 🤔 🤔 🤔 :oops:
Must have been a heavy night mate🤣 … it was the abandoned fixture dated 20th January. The only one Mr T had missing from that season

Must have been a heavy night mate🤣 … it was the abandoned fixture dated 20th January. The only one Mr T had missing from that season
No its alright Stu....Mr T threw me a curveball, sent me an image for the rearranged game, instead of the Abandoned Fixture, he's now realised the error of his ways :)

And so back to this season's programmes.

No 9 Coventry City 'PUSB'

Scan 249.jpeg

Well renown back in the Jimmy Hill days for producing innovative programmes, (the first club back in the sixties to move to a larger size programme) and then there huge programmes in the early seventies (although now looked upon from this generation as being blatantly sexist), we take a look at this season's effort.

68 page effort (3.50), 15 pages of advertising (although honestly didn't feel like it)

The Kyle McFadzean cover gives way to the standard opening pages, Managers Notes, Captain's column and more recent addition that's becoming more common, the CEO column. Coventry I assume at least knows theirs.

Its a slow burner, .......but soon gets into the swing of things with their opponents section. Its a section that this season's programmes have at times paid token lip service to.

There's a full 8 pages given to the Blades, which consists of our season so far, Hecky, connections between the two clubs, our key men (Egan, Norwood and N'Diaye), pen pics of the rest of the squad and a double page spread of classic campaigns. Throw in the head to Head page as well and that's a pretty good section imo.

Sky Blue Sam has a double page for the kids, I'm still doing his word search, saddo that I am, I can't find Highfield, I'm not convinced its in there :confused:

Black History month concentrates on the first African to play and score in the Premier League, a goal in the 2-1 over Wednesday in September 92. He went onto score 25 goals in 135 appearances for the Blades. I don't need to tell you who it is.....do I?

There's a programme review from our meeting in 1992, attendance 15,625 for a 1-1 draw.

Then there's a double page spread on lost grounds this issue concentrates on the Dell.

A history page and then a concentration of double pages featuring their last two games.

Stats and a quiz to finish.

Would have been better if it had a solid spine, but still its a better read by a long way than the majority this season.

Auction watch.

I see today that a Utd away to Chesterfield pirate friendly (which has appeared a couple of times in the past) sold on eBay today for a whopping £208!!
I was fancying a bid until I awoke this morning and saw it was already over 150 quid!! Thanks but no thanks.
What it does show is that there’s still plenty of life left in a hobby that can get expensive as you get down to the nitty gritty…. To the point where it can get a bit daft as well.

I see today that a Utd away to Chesterfield pirate friendly (which has appeared a couple of times in the past) sold on eBay today for a whopping £208!!
I was fancying a bid until I awoke this morning and saw it was already over 150 quid!! Thanks but no thanks.
What it does show is that there’s still plenty of life left in a hobby that can get expensive as you get down to the nitty gritty…. To the point where it can get a bit daft as well.
That's so true Stu.

Surprised about some of the prices for some programmes thats been shown on here. Bought this about a month ago (John Nicholson memorial programme vs Newcastle) for around £55 & though it might have gone for more tbh.

IMG_20221124_134052.jpg

A shame because if you’d checked eBay earlier I sold it to the fella you bought it off for £40! (The slight fold in the bottom corner gives it away) … I’m assuming that because it was a memorial programme slightly more were printed? Most programme of that era fetch around the £50-70 mark. The late 30s when we added a bit of style and thought to them maybe a little more. (Apparently John Nicholson wasn’t a great fan of the United programme)

No 10 West Bromwich Albion (Albion News)

We reviewed the League Cup programme earlier this season, so now its time for the League issue. Is there any difference, well its 16 pages thicker for a start.

About 15 years ago, the Baggies were producing a humdinger of a programme, like bloody encyclopaedias they were, I took about 800 of them down to Blackstock Road one Sunday afternoon and binned the lot. It was a shame but whoever had them before had made a cut in the centre pages, rammed a ticket into each one. thus in one foul swoop ruining the programme and the ticket (Folded) at the same time.

Alas enough of this side-tracking.

Scan 267.jpeg

Our edition is a rainbow laces edition and so after new manager Carlos Corberan's column its a double page spread about all that.
The latest games, player profile and what the girls have been up to. Its all a big type set but were already up to page 24 and there's not been a anything to get the pulses racing

They do have an up to date version of the Championship Top 5 which as mentioned before features the Top 5 sections in Goals scored, Assists, Total shots, Chances Created, % of goals involved in, Successful passes, Dribbles completed and Saves.
United do have players featured for the first time, McBurnie comes in fifth in total shots and Ollie Norwood likewise in chances created and successful passes.

The first half of the programme is pretty unremarkable. There's eight stickers in the centre pages. Obviously, I haven't got the album but I've always liked the idea, it must help sell a few programmes, plus its good that they have stickers not only for former players and current players but backroom staff, the women's team and the U18s.

The real strength of the programme comes when we get to the 12 page opponents section. Last time out, and the squad list kick things off, a page full of Hecky, face off between Diangana and Ndiaye, Four in focus are Adam Davies, Egan, Norwood and McBurnie. We know them so well concentrates on seven players who played for both:
Bartley, Ehiogu, Colquhoun, Santos, Hamilton, Burke, and Hulse.

The Clashes of the century features 4 games, and every game features a victory for West Brom. No guesses what the first one was.

Sadly, after that it fades away badly, with a number of advertisements. 16 pages in total.

Surprisingly, for a West Brom programme there was no historical column.

The stickers are a good idea for the kids and panini loving adults , away section good, but overall impression leaves you feeling a bit empty.

And so back to this season's programmes.

No 9 Coventry City 'PUSB'

View attachment 148175

Well renown back in the Jimmy Hill days for producing innovative programmes, (the first club back in the sixties to move to a larger size programme) and then there huge programmes in the early seventies (although now looked upon from this generation as being blatantly sexist), we take a look at this season's effort.

68 page effort (3.50), 15 pages of advertising (although honestly didn't feel like it)

The Kyle McFadzean cover gives way to the standard opening pages, Managers Notes, Captain's column and more recent addition that's becoming more common, the CEO column. Coventry I assume at least knows theirs.

Its a slow burner, .......but soon gets into the swing of things with their opponents section. Its a section that this season's programmes have at times paid token lip service to.

There's a full 8 pages given to the Blades, which consists of our season so far, Hecky, connections between the two clubs, our key men (Egan, Norwood and N'Diaye), pen pics of the rest of the squad and a double page spread of classic campaigns. Throw in the head to Head page as well and that's a pretty good section imo.

Sky Blue Sam has a double page for the kids, I'm still doing his word search, saddo that I am, I can't find Highfield, I'm not convinced its in there :confused:

Black History month concentrates on the first African to play and score in the Premier League, a goal in the 2-1 over Wednesday in September 92. He went onto score 25 goals in 135 appearances for the Blades. I don't need to tell you who it is.....do I?

There's a programme review from our meeting in 1992, attendance 15,625 for a 1-1 draw.

Then there's a double page spread on lost grounds this issue concentrates on the Dell.

A history page and then a concentration of double pages featuring their last two games.

Stats and a quiz to finish.

Would have been better if it had a solid spine, but still its a better read by a long way than the majority this season.
Peter Ndlovu.
I still recall the Coventry goal he scored.

Just a reminder:

The Sheffield Football Programme and Memorabilia Fair, 30th December 2022. Norton Country Club, Sheffield S8 8HD

319839505_5174516079317061_4401628274437855720_n.jpeg

No 11 Bristol City

Some of the more astute of you who went to Ashton gate in November will have noted there weren't any programmes available.
It may have been a blessing in disguise given the car parking fees at the Bedminster cricket club.

City again have remained digital only but there are a couple of avenues open in getting your hands on a printed hard copy.

And I don't mean the guy knocking out the 'fan' edition from his garage in Belarus.

Goes without saying, that these hard copies are frowned upon by some collectors and the home clubs in question.

52490277169_a7296279b1_o.jpg

The content is limited, all digital programmes are so what do we get.

48 pages, A5 size.

Piggy Pearson kicks it off by suggesting that the Robins face a tough test against our brave boys.

The Head to head throws up the statistic that we lead 31-16 in victories.

They've scored 9 more goals than us this season but have conceded 15 more.
Yellow cards and red cards are identical 39-1. They're 14th and we're 4th.
There's a three page section on us with Norwood, McBurnie and Ndiaye as the ones to watch.

A profile on George Turner and then a double page spread for City stat addicts.

Recent games and an old picture from the 50s

There's also a page about former Robin and Blade John MacPhail who had a serious accident in 2021, and a link for donations to fundraising for John.

For collectors Steve Smith a city fan continues his musings about his World Cup souvenir collection, not sure DVDs about qualifying are ever going to be worth much.

The type set is a bit small, I I can only read it in daylight which is a bit worrying.

All in all a decent effort for a hard copy version of the official digital programme, and better than a couple of official ones this season.

No 12 Cardiff City 'The Bluebird'

68 pager A5 size Poppy issue

Manager Mark Hudson kicks off proceedings and thus bucking the recent trend of having the CEO tell everyone that all is well.

Good to see Cardiff insisting that they are still fighting the Programme's existence and for all us sad gets who collect them that's commendable.

There's a double page spread on Cardiff's two World Cup stars who made the squad (I'd never heard of them (lol) followed by a six pager on Ruben Colwill who's one of them.

There's adverts a plenty before I'm at the word search again on the Bartley the Bluebirds kids page, its not the hardest, I even found Brewster.

Scan 341.jpeg

The away section is 4 pages full followed by a triple pager on greg Halford who played for both. He's now at Hashtag United.

Another former player to get a mention was Simon Walton who made one appearance for the Blades and suffered major knee ligament damage.

Big Thumbs up for the Remembrance Day section, and its the one redeeming feature of the programme.

It mentions Fred Keener who had a leg injury caught by shrapnel at the Somme. He was part of the 'Footballers Battalion', well worth a visit if you're in that part of the world next to the South African memorial at Delville Wood.
Many thought his career was over, but made it back to full fitness and captained Cardiff against the Blades in 1925, despite losing Keener was to claim that one day soon they'd bring the cup back to Wales and he did lifting the cup two years later.
Out of the nine Cardiff players to serve only one was killed, two days before the Armistice.
Former Ground Ninian Park was to be named after Lord Ninian (MP for Cardiff) who was shot in the head at the Battle of Loos in 1915 whilst trying to save his friend who had been left behind in a German trench. Apparently tin helmets weren't standard at the time. All fascinating stuff if you like that kind of thing. Great column.

No 13 Wigan Athletic 'Latics Review'

A5 solid spine 52 pager although felt even thinner.

Scan 366.jpeg

Kolo Toure gets us underway as might be expected, but we don't get much of a mention.

The away section is not exactly rippling with content either although in the 'three to watch' alongside Ndiaye and McBurnie it was nice to see Chris Basham get a profile.

There's only one Chissy Basham isn't there.

Statto's should note that we're 9-6 ahead of Wigan in the head to head, I'm not going to lie that's kind of depressing.

Talking of depression our shared XI has Nigel Adkins as goalkeeper, the rest are Bradshaw, Maguire, Edghill, Unsworth, Brown, Evans, Rogers, Liddell, Campbell and Camara

Away supporter interview with Hal Stewart followed by an interview with Will Keane of the Latics.

Had to look up why they're called the Latics, apparently that's how they pronounce the shortened version of Athletic. Wow

Crusty the Pie's kid zone have the centre spread but no word search. Boooooo.

James McLean A to Z. Even bigger Booooooo.

Then out of the Blue comes Tony Topping's Travels in retro land.

Here Tony bangs on about Christmas day's past from getting up early and using the outside toilet in the pitch black to the old man going downstairs to light the coal fire and wondering his pile of presents always seemed smaller than his siblings. He laments about the old annuals like Victor, Cadbury slot machines and the staple compendium of games. After dinner, it would be a board game, Tony claims that Shenanigans was the greatest and the worse was 'Mousetrap' !!!!! How dare he.
Enjoyed that read, apart from the mousetrap absurdity.

A past famous fixture....against Stafford Rangers in the Northern Premier, and then a few adverts to finish.

Back
Top Bottom