Programme Corner

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Clearly can't speak about this season's programmes yet,but thought we had by far one of the better ones last season. This year Huddersfield and Stoke are back doing a normal one, but Millwall aren't doing one. If anyone wants a hard copy (printed copy) of Blackburn or Bristol City let me know the week before. Regards Sharrow.

Those of you who still buy programmes, what do you think of our programme this season? I think it's an interesting read and well presented. I think my one quibble would be that 12 pages in every programme devoted to the equivalent home game of the first Premier League season, much of it reproductions of the 30 year old match programme, seems way over the top to me, and I usually love stuff like that. That's only a minor quibble though. Overall it's a good read with the price again frozen at £3.50.
I'm impressed, especially compared to other clubs' programmes. I'd finished reading Middlesbrough's effort before kick off! At least United are still making an effort.

Sad to see the demise of the programme, matter of when not if they become a thing of the past unfortunately.

My collection goes back to the early 60's when my Dad was young, they are all packed away up the loft not doing much but my youngest now has his own collection so they will be his when he wants them.

Those of you who still buy programmes, what do you think of our programme this season? I think it's an interesting read and well presented. I think my one quibble would be that 12 pages in every programme devoted to the equivalent home game of the first Premier League season, much of it reproductions of the 30 year old match programme, seems way over the top to me, and I usually love stuff like that. That's only a minor quibble though. Overall it's a good read with the price again frozen at £3.50.
I agree with you about that section. It seems a bit higgledy piggledy as well, all over the place.

My favourite section is always what John Garrett puts. The Sunderland programme was about subbuteo and random stuff like him telling his Aunty Edna she was going to get the sack! I did spot a typo though where it said shot instead of short. I guess they do a quick spell check but there is not enough time for a proper proof read / edit. But the club is welcome to send it me for a quick read before it goes to print!

Is it true there is a programme room in Tc Stand somewhere? has all the programmes since 1889.

I agree with you about that section. It seems a bit higgledy piggledy as well, all over the place.

My favourite section is always what John Garrett puts. The Sunderland programme was about subbuteo and random stuff like him telling his Aunty Edna she was going to get the sack! I did spot a typo though where it said shot instead of short. I guess they do a quick spell check but there is not enough time for a proper proof read / edit. But the club is welcome to send it me for a quick read before it goes to print!
Yeah I often spot a few typos.

Is it true there is a programme room in Tc Stand somewhere? has all the programmes since 1889.
Not sure about that but we didn’t start producing programmes until the beginning of the 1897/98 season although we supposedly produced ‘match cards’ occasionally. The majority that survive today are either in or from bound volumes. Volume 1 number 1 v Derby County has just sold at auction for a grand with commission. Up at auction very soon is the 1915 Khaki cup final v Chelsea…. The guide price? A cool 10-15k 😱…. A couple of years ago all bar three Utd pre war bound volumes were up for sale at auction for 100k. Sharrowblade might confirm but they were possibly bought by the club?

Clearly can't speak about this season's programmes yet,but thought we had by far one of the better ones last season. This year Huddersfield and Stoke are back doing a normal one, but Millwall aren't doing one. If anyone wants a hard copy (printed copy) of Blackburn or Bristol City let me know the week before. Regards Sharrow.
Put me down for 3 of each mate if you will. You really need to sort your holidays out…. You’ve missed a decent game and fabulous goal today!

That dog. Proper CBF...

Put me down for 3 of each mate if you will. You really need to sort your holidays out…. You’ve missed a decent game and fabulous goal today!
Will do. Watched it on Blackburn TV in a bar down at the Marina. A different insight, their commentators confessed that they'd been outclassed in all areas, and applauded the third. Could have been 5 or 6 to be fair.

Not sure about that but we didn’t start producing programmes until the beginning of the 1897/98 season although we supposedly produced ‘match cards’ occasionally. The majority that survive today are either in or from bound volumes. Volume 1 number 1 v Derby County has just sold at auction for a grand with commission. Up at auction very soon is the 1915 Khaki cup final v Chelsea…. The guide price? A cool 10-15k 😱…. A couple of years ago all bar three Utd pre war bound volumes were up for sale at auction for 100k. Sharrowblade might confirm but they were possibly bought by the club?
They were asked for a valuation to which I understand Johnny Gs valuation didn't match their valuation. Think they came from Nev Evans, via Dennis C. Oddly, they then went from 75K estimation to 95K. They didn't sell. Its easier to sell bound volumes separately rather than in bulk. Not many people can afford £100 K plus 24% commission Also certain season's have to be complete. For example the 1912 cup replay involving Barnsley was missing and that could fetch 15K on its own.

They were asked for a valuation to which I understand Johnny Gs valuation didn't match their valuation. Think they came from Nev Evans, via Dennis C. Oddly, they then went from 75K estimation to 95K. They didn't sell. Its easier to sell bound volumes separately rather than in bulk. Not many people can afford £100 K plus 24% commission Also certain season's have to be complete. For example the 1912 cup replay involving Barnsley was missing and that could fetch 15K on its own.
Hi Sharrow,

I have inboxed you for help

Cheers

Peter

Digging through my parents loft and found this suitcase of old programmes. Generally 1996 onwards with most around the turn of the century and gradually thinking out until 2008.

No idea what to do with them. Any ideas?

I've found all of the old "centre fold" posters in there too...although a centre fold of Michel Vonk is not quite what youngster me would be aspiring to own (sorry Michel)..

Attachments

• 20220906_205629.jpg
    20220906_205629.jpg
    952.2 KB · Views: 10
Back to reviewing our opponents programmes for this season and we begin with Watford's, ‘The Hornet’ at £3.50

Watford revert back from last season’s square issue back to a more traditional size.

84 pages, and there is plenty in it, New manager Rob Edwards says they’ll have to earn it, if they want anything against United. (In Hindsight, they didn’t have to do too much))

Six pages on the Blades with every squad member getting a write up.

Keef Gillespie gets a brief mention on the fact page for shortest sub appearance after his red card for elbowing that little shit Stephen Hunt at Reading. Should have been knighted.

Scan 108.jpeg

The middle section celebrates their 100th anniversary.

Rising sons features a double page on TC. As well as a look back with Watford’s historian.

There’s a junior Hornets pull out magazine in the middle which gives the programme a bulky feel.

A double page former player section. Followed by a lengthy section on the Academy and Women’s teams,

New Keeper takes himself back to his hometown. Thankfully its some picturesque village in Austria and not somewhere like Dunstable.

‘The Hornet’ again is running a fantasy football League which is a novel idea. Each of the 92 clubs are given a points total and you pick 2 teams from each of the 4 divisions with a max 24 points allowed. Result based on position and goals scored.

I would have entered but I’ve now missed the deadline.

The winner last year was 9 years old. Brilliant.

It’s quite a big type set which is good and not too many adverts. It’s an early contender and would have been a knockout if they’d given a solid spine. Shame they didn’t

No 2 WBA ‘Baggies’ £3.00

Slightly difficult to comment on due to it being a League Cup programme which tend to be much thinner than its League Counterpart, but still here goes.

It’s a 52 pager with a cover as imaginative as a Estonian karaoke night in nearby Dudley.

Scan 87.jpeg

Steve Bruce fills an entire page, and that’s just his picture.

Six pages on new boy Zac Ashworth. Top lad for grabbing the badge and cringeworthy posing

Q & A with one of the U18s goalkeepers who’s wish is to win the World Cup…..with Wales, Clearly, Somebody has left the gates open at the Handsworth asylum.

They’ve gone down the sticker route which is admirable, always boosts programme sales, Get the album with the first issue and eight stickers per programme from then on.

There’s a feature on the Good the Bad and the dam right ugly or aka the last 5 managers of the Blades.

Slav, Chris, the two Nigels, and Dave.

The four in Focus for the Blades are surprisingly Jordan Amissah, Max Lowe, Reda Khadra and perhaps not surprising Billy Sharp.

There’s a recollection of our League Cup defeat back in 73’ and that’s about it.

Personally I've lost all respect since they ditched ‘Boiler’s man’ column.

Finally tonight

No 3 Middlesbrough ‘UTB’ £3

Never judge a book by its cover, but its always a start.

Boro's offering looks lightweight, but is it all just an illusion.

Well............no to be honest.

Scan 114.jpeg

52 pages, of which 19 are adverts, and the front and back cover.

There are lots of pictures, which is understandable as most people in Middlesbrough can't read.

United's section is poor just two pages of which one is a picture of 'Brewster Baby', and an snippet about the origins of the greasy chip butty song.

Section on Boro shirts and their link to tribal identities and a short piece on Boro memories.

There's not much more to say

This year's Sheffield Programme fair has been put back a day to the 30th December, due to a full fixture list on the 29th.

The 30th is a Friday and the fair will kick off at 10am at the Norton Country Club, Norton Lane, Sheffield S8.

There will be a good selection of programmes, badges and all sorts of football memorabilia.

I have in the garage 3 large cardboard boxes of Sheff Utd programs dating right back to the seventies and sixties. There a few away programs as well. I also have strangely enough a load of Swindon Town programs from the sixties.
From memory many contain the old ‘Football League Review‘ I think it was called.
Not all are in great condition because they’ve been in the garage for donkeys years.
I’m wanting rid of them, anybody interested?

So Millwall, Blackburn, Bristol city and Swansea aren't doing one and everyone else is?
As far as I’m aware yes though Sharrowblade will correct me if I’m wrong. All the above clubs are doing digital versions. Sharrowblade can help out with Excellent quality printed copies for Blackburn and Bristol City and a quick look on eBay shows there are people doing printed copies for Swansea and Millwall so hopefully collectors will still have a hard copy for all league games at least this season

No 4 Luton Town 'Our Town'

Traditionally not known for producing quality programmes I didn't build my expectations up too high.

Pre-conceptions can be misleading.....but not this time. Its pretty dreadful to be honest.

52339736110_3612cf6cb5_o.jpg

60 pages on recycled toilet paper, makes it look bulkier than it actually is. If you take the front and back pages and add that to the adverts you'll not be far off the 50% mark. Its got a non league feel about it and I'm being a little harsh on them.

Nathan Jones gets one page, claiming that United will be one of this season's toughest opponents and the chief executive gets a full three pages exclaiming that the club continues to press ahead with a new stadium.

United get just two pages, featuring Wes, Illy, Sander, Ollie and Anel.

A page on Bob Hatton who played for both, before an article on the main stand at Kenilworth Road. Still there in all its glory as if life itself had stood still and to be fair in Luton it has.

There's a picture of the original stand after it been destroyed, this was 1921 and not when Millwall once visited.

Paul Hart, Academy director gives an update and that's it.

£3.50 for 'Our Town' and they can keep it. You'd have to be mad as a 'Hatter' to buy one. For the record I bought three. ☹️😭

The clubs that are not doing programs in the championship this season.
Are they doing a single sheet on matchday with team line ups?.

The clubs that are not doing programs in the championship this season.
Are they doing a single sheet on matchday with team line ups?.
I understand that members of Millwall, and Bristol City supporters clubs are doing their own version of the online programme
I know the lad who does the Blackburn programme, and he's doing the swansea one too.
Reading are the club we've missed off......They don't do anything at all programme wise.

With regards to teamsheets this season:
Millwall - Yes
Blackburn - Yes
Bristol City - Unconfirmed (Not seen any from this season yet)
Swansea - Yes
Reading - They put the teamsheet online, which you can download They wont give you a printed one at the ground.

No 5 Hull City 'The Tiger'

Again, not a club renowned for great programmes, or even covers, well not since the 50s.

A 64 page effort, costing £3.

Opposition manager Shota Arveladze, a name unpronounceable after 8 pints of neck oil welcomes the Blades who he describes as very strong opposition.

United get a four page section where the spotlight falls on Furious, and and Ollie McBurnie. Wes and Sander are featured for the 2nd successive programme.

52341444770_9926ca6839_o.jpg

There's a double pager on past encounters, oddly, they don't mention the FA Cup Semi Final, but focus their attention on their League Cup 2nd Rd penalty shoot-out win in 2018. For the older more discernible supporter there's the mention of 'the Battle of Bramall Lane' in 1971, in reality, it should have been labelled 'the night that the dirty bastards from Hull turned up and clogged everything that moved'.

Shared shirts features Ryan France whose career was prematurely ended with a serious knee injury.

There's a quiz page, which aren't as common as they once were.

The big interview is with Steven Quinn, who does hark back to the semi. and this takes us to half way, where it then falls away badly...very badly....they quite literally could have done away with the final 32 pages

So there you have it 'The Tiger, a flimsy effort which set off ok ultimately but lacked bite.

Not sure what's going off at the dark side but their programme from last weekend (the Queen's cover) apparently sold out, and is now oddly fetching anywhere between £400 and £4000 if eBay is to be believed.

s-l1600-19.jpg

Back
Top Bottom