Pressing

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

More fuel for the argument that the players are not being used properly, or that they are not trying hard enough.

Probably a bit of both.

For every idiot tactical set up that sees us not press (Bournemouth home being the worst) there's also been a lot of standing around from the forwards.

We've shown way too much respect to every team this season and worried too much in what they can do and not what we can do.

Big difference from wilders first stint is we came up and feared no one with hard work and intensity (mixed with good attacking).

We have lost all identity of playing/attacking and defending style and the lack of leadership on the pitch is killing us. We have no patern of play and just stand off teams.

Maybe and probably is down to the recruitment and not having the players capable of doing so. We must be the slowest and unfittest team in the prem, if the opposition beat the press then our players struggle to get back and recover.

So glad this is being highlighted because I have mentioned it in here before. In today's possession based game pressing is imperative. But not mindless pressing like Bielsa's Leeds, it has to be done intelligently, with the team squeezing the oppo as a unit. That takes hours and hours on the training ground and coaches who know what they are doing for it to work. Doesn't matter how confident in the ball a team is, if you press them aa a unit, they will struggle to break through you. Doing it properly, as a team, also covers the chances of them doing you on the counter as well. Anyone who sits high in the stands can see how teams like City do it. It's like a concertina, with the team working in unison to stifle the attack. The park the bus tactic no longer works as coaches have worked out how to negate it.

Whereas last season, the high press was what won us so many games.
Berge & Ndiaye integral to that style of play.

Who knew selling your best players upon promotion to the toughest league in the world, on the eve of the season, would turn you to shit... everyone. Including the management & playing staff.

Who knew selling your best players upon promotion to the toughest league in the world, on the eve of the season, would turn you to shit... everyone. Including the management & playing staff.
Yea, too bad they didn't want to play for us

So glad this is being highlighted because I have mentioned it in here before. In today's possession based game pressing is imperative. But not mindless pressing like Bielsa's Leeds, it has to be done intelligently, with the team squeezing the oppo as a unit. That takes hours and hours on the training ground and coaches who know what they are doing for it to work. Doesn't matter how confident in the ball a team is, if you press them aa a unit, they will struggle to break through you. Doing it properly, as a team, also covers the chances of them doing you on the counter as well. Anyone who sits high in the stands can see how teams like City do it. It's like a concertina, with the team working in unison to stifle the attack. The park the bus tactic no longer works as coaches have worked out how to negate it.

Isn't that what Nigel Cough does ? plays with a false nine, everybody moves forward as a unit from midfield, everybody involved whether it be defensively or attacking, never scores a lot of goals nor concede many goals, I like the theory but not sure it worked for him, maybe the quality of the players he's dealing with ? - as i say theory is good, but it dosn't always work

Genuine question - how does Sander Berge's style suit a high press game?

Genuine question - how does Sander Berge's style suit a high press game?

Berge’s positioning defensively was really smart - you could see him dropping in to block passing lanes constantly. He got up and down the pitch a lot as well and he’s a better defensive player than Hamer. I would have thought his pressing stats would be similar to Hamer in the Champ.

He didn’t have the role to actively press but his positioning provided a base for others to do so.

Isn't that what Nigel Cough does ? plays with a false nine, everybody moves forward as a unit from midfield, everybody involved whether it be defensively or attacking, never scores a lot of goals nor concede many goals, I like the theory but not sure it worked for him, maybe the quality of the players he's dealing with ? - as i say theory is good, but it dosn't always work
KInd of. But as you say it's reliant on players being intelligent enough to understand how it works, which is also reliant on having coaches who get it as well.

Berge’s positioning defensively was really smart - you could see him dropping in to block passing lanes constantly. He got up and down the pitch a lot as well and he’s a better defensive player than Hamer. I would have thought his pressing stats would be similar to Hamer in the Champ.

He didn’t have the role to actively press but his positioning provided a base for others to do so.

Exactly. One of the main factors behind our success in the Premier League in the 2019/20 season was not so much a high press, but setting traps and blocking passing lanes. There's been none of that this season.

Does it bugger up other teams pressing stats when they play us, as in, we never really have the ball that much for them to try and get it back off us ?
No, because it’s normally measured in ‘passes per defensive action’ and we give them the ball back within maximum 2 hoofs (passes) so it makes them look brilliant without even trying.

Today's team couldn't press my trousers. If I had any that is. 👀

Back
Top Bottom