Pre Warnock?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

silverfox

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of our members remember the pre-Warnock days and how they rate them to what we see now?

Some of us remember the days of Harry Haslam and Martin Peters, of Billy McEwan and of Jimmy Sirrell, of Adrian Heath and Steve Thompson and frankly apart from a few heady days with Harry, these are the best times since Ken Furphy was at the helm!

The dark days were when that fat Man City fan MacDonald was chairman, and his idiot chief exec Charles Green flogged off players under Spackman's nose. Thompson did his best, which wasn't a great deal, but Adrian Heath was a total and utter waste of time, money and oxygen.
This is the best time for us since Harry and the centenary season promotion.

The dark days were when that fat Man City fan MacDonald was chairman, and his idiot chief exec Charles Green flogged off players under Spackman's nose. Thompson did his best, which wasn't a great deal, but Adrian Heath was a total and utter waste of time, money and oxygen.
This is the best time for us since Harry and the centenary season promotion.

I nearly called them the dark days.......

It's difficult when all we hear is moans about our current state.

:)

I remember pre-Warnock.

The days of Adrian Heath:(
The days of 9,000 crowds
and bottom of the league

Oh how we have come on:)

The person infront of me yesterday at Anfield just moaned about Warnock ALL match right before even kickoff!! I was tempted to ask this idiot if things would have been better with people like Heath in charge.

I wouldn't bet money on Adrian Heath being able to wipe his own arse without adult help.

Mate, just because he has got us to the prem doesnt mean he is void of any critism or moaning.

He fooked up yesterday, people have every right to moan after paying good money to watch that.

Anyone who was there, that day, when Don Givens stepped up to miss that penalty knows full well these are great days for the club. Unfortunately we live in days of instant success only, it has to happen and it has to happen now! Of course the flip side to that is instant failure, get it wrong and it's a total disaster! OK, Warnock is by no stretch of the imagination a tactical genius and he has and will get things wrong (personally playing one up against a team that can pass like Liverpool and conceding possession was a mistake) but remember where we were and if you can't remember pre-Warnock take it from those of us who can irrespective of defeats and the odd panning by Europe's elite these are still good, good days! :D :D

Mate, just because he has got us to the prem doesnt mean he is void of any critism or moaning.

He fooked up yesterday, people have every right to moan after paying good money to watch that.

I didn't see anyone say he should be? It was a question about how the days before his management compared to the current time.

Why did he and he alone fuck up? and dont say "451" as we went 442 and looked even worse. We were the worse side against a good team, they all pretty much had poor games in a fixture where in order for us to have a chance all had to be at the top of their game. This wasn't all on one man, it was on the full team of players and coaching staff.

Anyway, back on topic, I consider paying the good money to watch us get tonked by Liverpool an absolute bargain compared to some of the stuff I've paid to watch in the past!

Undoubtedly we are in the best state we have been in my lifetime and i've seen more than my fair share over the years (though nothing compared to one or two of the older members).

It's a very different game all across the world to what we saw pre-warnock.
We still get looked at as an intruder into the 'BIG' teams league like we did with Bassett as manager and still get a high % of the 50-50 decisions given against us.
So same old same old in a lot of ways.

Some of us remember the days of Harry Haslam and Martin Peters, of Billy McEwan and of Jimmy Sirrell, of Adrian Heath and Steve Thompson and frankly apart from a few heady days with Harry, these are the best times since Ken Furphy was at the helm!

Couldn't agree more, there were some great times with Harry

I want to know why, looking at our past, people believe we have a divine right to be challenging the top few in the Premiership?

I've watched some god awful football at the Lane during my time. We had three sides to the stadium and couldn't fill them and were travelling to, and losing to, the Stockports, Grimsbys and Tranmeres of the leagues. Any time we looked to be challenging, a few players would be sold and then we were right back to where we started.

When you started supporting this club... we weren't world beaters. We still aren't world beaters so why is there such an outcry of injustice against the fans when a team that is better than us, beats us?

We have a stadium that looks to expand and we're near to filling it every match. We can afford to spend daft amounts on players compared to what we have in the past... millions not tens of thousands. We are in the best league in the world when there but by the grace of god and those in charge, any decision in the past could've changed our destiny completely and we could be in the conference scrapping it out.

We aren't... so why oh why can't people just lighten up a bit?

We are not and cannot win every single match. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you want a team that wins every week, go and watch Manchester United. You'll get the end results but the journey might not be as exciting. I'm sure people would still find something to moan about then.

i remember and i remmeber beating portasmouth when neil first came first game singin united we love you as we left kop never forget that game

I briefly remember the Harry Bassett days from being a kid (I also remember Bassetts sweets sponsoring a game and Bertie Bassett throwing sweets into the stands... mmmmm). Can't really say much as it's all very brief what I remember. (I remember having a quick kip at half-time at most games).

I remember more the Howard Kendall/Nigel Spackman/Steve Thompson/Adrian Heath days..
"AND WE'RE ON THE MARCH WITH THOMMO'S ARMY... WE'RE ALL GOING TO WEMBLEY"!!! ('cos we still could in '98)

To take that step from Assistant manager with not much experience to take us to an FA Cup Semi - you can't go wrong.

I remember one of the lowest gates ever against Port Vale on THAT night - went into pub after, to hear rumours of Heath stepping down, to read it for real on teletext.

To listen to the news on radio at school, Deane sold then Fjortoft sold (or other way round), and to feel your dreams shattered by having both your heroes sold within hours of each other.

To feel so much hatred towards a chairman for selling two of your heroes.

So yes.. I remember quite a bit of pre-Warnock. I also remember hearing that Warnock got the job and I wasn't too impressed - didn't see why, just because he was a Blade, he should get the job. Now? Now I'm glad he got the job, I think he's done a fantastic job and I think he's passionate about his club and passionate about his job. He's honest with us, the players, the board . Am proud to have him in charge

i remember back to the bassett days....

id like to see what the other managers could do with the money warnocks had in these past 2 seasons. fair few million......

I would have liked to see other managers cope with the money for players Bassett had. A quick empty of the piggy-bank, a root down the back of Chairman Reg's settee for a few coppers, a whip-round at a whist drive and seventeen gob-stoppers. For what? The best strike partnership most of us will ever see, even if we sign Henry and Drogba.
Deane and Agana. Just typing it makes me go misty of eye.

Back
Top Bottom