Roy's View From... Pre-Match View From Peterborough

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Most seem to like Sheffield, pity I'm not so fond of Peterborough, nowt to do with football.
Could be embarrassing if Blades don't click, I expect them to with the new arrivals, so lets see.
I used to work there XM, the entire city centre was shut up, locked down, lights out by 9pm after the last train from London had gone.

"they create a fairly large number of chances" ...... if you divide the season's total by the opening 4 games....

TBH I don't have a clue how we will line up tomorrow, just waiting to see who's out of the match day squad

I expect Verrips, Norwood, Fleck and McGoldrick will all start.

I expect Verrips, Norwood, Fleck and McGoldrick will all start.
Think Slav said McGoldrick is injured.
No Berge, Olsen or Davies, so we might get treat to Verrips and Robinson and Fleck and Norwood🤦‍♂️

Does anyone know if you can still pay on the gate? Or would I have to get a ticket online or over the phone, or even at the ticket office before the match? It’s been a while since I’ve been 😳

I used to work there XM, the entire city centre was shut up, locked down, lights out by 9pm after the last train from London had gone.
I changed trains there on my wedding day in 1977.

We were on our way to Yarmouth and got to Peterborough at about 5.00 pm on a Saturday with an hour to wait for our connection so we had a walk into the town and it was closed!

We ended up with two BR ham sandwiches and two cans of coke for our wedding tea and it cost us a bloody quid!!!

That was a lot of money in 1977 🤣

I remember skipping school for that game. Went down on the train and stood behind the goal. What a night that was. Peformance from Morris and Edwards that night was outstanding. I remember they had a centre forward who were scoring the goals and reading before the game how he was going to score a hatful as our defence was awful.
Useless fact:- Robbie Cooke - from Rotherham - my da' used to work with his da' & gave him unmitigated shit for weeks after - fair play to the fella he sucked it up & even got da' tickets for the return (another 4-0) game - last match of season @ t' Lane resulting in another few months pelters ( mi da' could be a reight twat !)

Cheers Roy. I can’t argue with any of what they say as I jave no idea what we’ll be like. I hope the break has been good to us.

Does anyone know if you can still pay on the gate?
That brings back some happy memories, paying at the turnstile and trying to lift my mate‘s little un over so I didn’t we have to pay for him. Paying on the turnstile🤔, you forget it ever happened and probably won’t have happened for loads of the younger end. I’m sure the question was tongue in cheek, but the answer is still, unfortunately, no😒 However I’m sure the ticket office will be open in the morning to phone or online to book and collect before the match👍

cheers Roygbiv appreciated as always mate👍

"Welcome everyone to Beautiful Down Town Branhall Lane" does have a certain olde worlde charm and wholesome appeal.

Sounds about right.
My story,1964, I've regaled here before but a quick summery is, I'm working a flanker with a non collected return Sheff to Grantham ticket change Retford. Retford was rammed, the future Mrs XM in tow. Train pulls in "come on" she says I say "not ours don't stop Grantham, ours next train", she got on and before I could get her off, the train was off. Straight through Grantham, I thought no sweat get next train back up. On alighting Peterborough was told no north bound trains till morning. Cost me £20+for taxi to Grantham.
Your 2100hrs shut down explains a lot. :)

I changed trains there on my wedding day in 1977.

We were on our way to Yarmouth and got to Peterborough at about 5.00 pm on a Saturday with an hour to wait for our connection so we had a walk into the town and it was closed!

We ended up with two BR ham sandwiches and two cans of coke for our wedding tea and it cost us a bloody quid!!!

That was a lot of money in 1977 🤣
Yep, it's the ultimate commuter town, an hour or so from London by rail.
Lots live there, but nobody's from there, I think it suffers from not having an identity, most people wouldn't even know what county its in

Seem a deluded, clueless bunch....

Really looking forward to this and hope our record against them is enhanced even more. What your record of 3 wins, 1 draw and 6 defeats in the last 10 meetings?
Yep their record against us did continue, we beat em by 4 goals again.

Yep, it's the ultimate commuter town, an hour or so from London by rail.
Lots live there, but nobody's from there, I think it suffers from not having an identity, most people wouldn't even know what county its in

It used to be a county of its own until 1965, the Soke of Peterborough! At that point it merged with Huntingdonshire to form the county of Huntingdon and Peterborough and in 1974 that became part of Cambridgeshire.

Peterborough expanded hugely after the war, there was a very big Italian community which kept the local brickworks going amongst other things.

You sound very well informed Trig I hear you say? I was born and brought up in Huntingdon of Sheffield parents. Posh were the nearest local league team to us and I saw far more of them than United as a youth, including the 4-0 Watney Cup game where TC got sent off. The idea of The Blades at London Road was mind boggling in those days, a league meeting unthinkable.

Back
Top Bottom