CONFIRMED Points deduction to start next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just to point out, 2 points in Championship is the equivalent of 3.3 points in the Premier League.

The accounts state repayment could fall on the club. Even if they didn't a potless prince would still need to get the dosh from somewhere as you mention.

Did you miss the bit that suggested it was unlikely? Again.

In curiosity how many other clubs have been deducted points for the same issue as us?

Nearly every club is struggling/losing money unless they're a top PL club or have a billionaire owner. So surely missing payment dates is common for alot of clubs?

Only skim read Independent Commissions (IC) written reasons. My comments as follows;

1. The club have been aware of this since March 2023.
2. The club defaulted on transfer/loan payments to other clubs over a period of 600 days(1.65 years). The EFL considered this conduct was sufficiently serious to justify further sanctioning the club( in addition to the transfer embargo) under their rules and referred the matter to a disciplinary committee who appointed an IC.
3. The payment defaults related to 5 player transactions totalling £8.2 million.
3. Throughout 2023 both parties made submissions to the IC culminating in a hearing in January 2024. Nick De Marco KC represented the Club. The KC currently acting for Florist.
4. The IC found in favour of the EFL in February 2024 who had requested points deductions and a fine.
5. In March 2024 a compromise sanction was agreed at 2 points deducted plus 2 deferred for further breaches in the next full EFL season.
6. SUFC agreed there would no appeal.
6. Costs were awarded against SUFC totalling for £310,000 for the EFL plus the IC's costs.

Clearly defaulting on transfer payments over nearly two years has led to this state of affairs and the EFL felt obliged to push for further sanctions because the club was continually in breach of EFL payment rules. This drives a coach and horses through PA's response to Sheffield United Way that the embargo only related to around £1 million and lasted only a few months. 5 player transactions and £8 million in fees defaulted on suggests it certainly wasn't the picture being painted. That explains why consideration was given not to Appeal and get the best compromise avoiding a fine. The term I believe is "bang to rights"

The cost to the club in defending this action exceeds the £310,00 quoted. Add in the IC's costs and Mick De Marco who doesn't come cheap and you are looking at north of double that amount.

A sorry state of affairs imo. Not only has the clubs reputation been sullied but they now face stricter limitations on any future default with the potential for automatic additional point deductions. Will this affect future transfer dealings one can only speculate but it may lead to requests for more money up front. It also has the potential for any rival we do future business with running to the EFL to get the additional points applied should there be any semblance of delay in making payments.

The Clubs statement that they were waiting for payments from other clubs doesn't hold water imo. The EFL rules set out a clear process whereby SUFC could have invoked disciplinary proceedings via the EFL against said clubs for late payment within pre determined time scales. That doesn't seemed to have happened here.

I’m sure l’ve read that it was 550 cumulative days.

Don’t think you can argue we should be docked points. We haven’t made agreed payments… there has to be repercussions.

Makes us look bad especially in terms of a recruitment drive that we need.

Will need to pull something out of the bag here for sure.

In curiosity how many other clubs have been deducted points for the same issue as us?

Nearly every club is struggling/losing money unless they're a top PL club or have a billionaire owner. So surely missing payment dates is common for alot of clubs?

We are taking nearly 1 3/4 years of defaulting. Fuck other clubs, this is not a what about them moment

Love how other clubs appeal and we just deep throat the EFL's cock and swallow every last drop!!
I’m quite happy we’ve took responsibility and owned it rather than the automatic dummy spitting immediate appeal you get from prem clubs as if they’ve been wronged.

We broke the rules therefore we take the punishment. End of.

I’m quite happy we’ve took responsibility and owned it rather than the automatic dummy spitting immediate appeal you get from prem clubs as if they’ve been wronged.

We broke the rules therefore we take the punishment. End of.

Oh they took responsibility, that’s ok then

this a bit out of the blue, bettis admitted this back in august didnt he. so it should be no surprise. we all knew how were skint we were last yr because of hangover from the premier league & if we didnt go up administration was a real possibility. 12 months ago we couldn't afford to turn on the undersoil heating

as much as we are guilty. as i said on different thread EFL & premier league have let the sport finalincally spiral out of control & they are the root cause of all the pts deduction, because in premier league we are up against teams that their highest earner gets in 7 weeks what ours does in 9 months. then in championship teams racking up huge debts. Wednesday are a great example of teams chased the riches, & have suffered.

Administration a real possibility? Says who? Who issued a winding up order and got us in court? The EFL wouldn’t as football debts are protected and they issue punishments not shut down members.

A clappers and the uninformeds wanking aid.

must be the only team never to show any ambition and still hit financial problems.
It must be that New Stand we built in 1975
We showed ambition in January by not selling ndiaye and Berge to actually get us promoted and to the cup semi, a decision which has probably saved the long term future of the club. I can take a 2pt deduction.

See Nixon is loving this on twitter, having a go at all united fans trying to discuss with him

The -2 points deduction is a marketing ploy to increase season tickets sales, it’s got everyone talking. Clever is our prince😉

I’m sure l’ve read that it was 550 cumulative days.

Was originally deemed as in excess of 600, the EFL amended to include only permanent transfers which took it to "in excess of 550 days."

Was originally deemed as in excess of 600, the EFL amended to include only permanent transfers which took it to "in excess of 550 days."

Pretty sure if a normal civilian didn't pay their owings for 600 days the consequences would be more severe than a 2 point deduction.

Just saying 🤷‍♂️

But not a period of 600 consecutive days?

No.

10 The defaults relied upon by the EFL for the purposes of the Referral were cumulatively in excess of 600 days. The EFL considered that this conduct was sufficiently serious to justify further sanctioning of the Club.

17 The remaining defaults relied upon by the EFL were cumulatively in excess of 550 days.

Still cumulative not consecutive.

I would hazard a guess that the missing payments for Player A were actually part paid and therefore account for most of the lateness. Assuming it's Brewster and assuming it's £3.75m per instalment over 5 instalments would suggest that we missed at least part of the last three payments due. I'd imagine that at least one was the best part of a year late but was part paid and was therefore responsible for the majority of the cumulative late days.

So, when will we see deductions for the clubs that were late paying us?

We won't. They were a few days late, we were up to a year late and repeatedly so.

Don’t think you can argue we should be docked points. We haven’t made agreed payments… there has to be repercussions.

Makes us look bad especially in terms of a recruitment drive that we need.

Will need to pull something out of the bag here for sure.
With a points deduction hanging over us if we default and possibly more! . Clubs can be sure they will get there money or as sure as is possible.Most championship clubs don't have the ability to spend big money and we will be the same ! It will be out of contract players with free transfers who we will sign! as we know they are not totally free as signing on fees are really the transfer fee obviously not as big as a transfer fee but they don't come cheap.

And? We haven't got a leg to stand on. Journalists should be piling in on us.

Kills me that we're now one of those clubs.
Me too, hate to see journalists taking the P*** out of us though. Had to put up with it all year just to be topped off by this. Be interesting to see if the likes of boro try to take this further cause we basically cheated to get promotion

Back
Top Bottom