CONFIRMED Points deduction to start next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Only read the judgment quickly but can't see any reference to us waiting for payments from other clubs?
The EFL have only posted the Consent Award Decision written reasons in March today. The Club could have pleaded late payments as mitigation in the January 2024 hearing but we will need access to the IC's February 2024 written reasons to confirm that.

this a bit out of the blue, bettis admitted this back in august didnt he. so it should be no surprise. we all knew how were skint we were last yr because of hangover from the premier league & if we didnt go up administration was a real possibility. 12 months ago we couldn't afford to turn on the undersoil heating

as much as we are guilty. as i said on different thread EFL & premier league have let the sport finalincally spiral out of control & they are the root cause of all the pts deduction, because in premier league we are up against teams that their highest earner gets in 7 weeks what ours does in 9 months. then in championship teams racking up huge debts. Wednesday are a great example of teams chased the riches, & have suffered.

We were late paying but it got paid and we get a 2 point deduction.

City, Forest and Everton took the piss breaking rules.
We were under the jurisdiction of the EFL at the time, the other clubs are operating under EPL rules, different organisations, different rules

It’s alright complaining about the rules / interpretation of rules between prem and EFL but we shouldn’t be in the situation in the first place.

Just pay the fucking bills on time.

Purely down to miss management of the club. Nothing else.
Clubs also owed US money at this time,that's conveniently brushed under the carpet

The EFL have only posted the Consent Award Decision written reasons in March today. The Club could have pleaded late payments as mitigation in the January 2024 hearing but we will need access to the IC's February 2024 written reasons to confirm that.
The judgment highlights United's mitigation points in relation to the 'charges' as part of the run through of events. The January hearing seems to have been about jurisdiction issues.

They could have taken it off our points total from the year we committed the offence.
In fact they could have made it 12 points and saved us the ignominy of this season.

It's alright saying its only 2 points yada yada. It's enough to make us look like the shitshow that we are and it WILL come into the minds of players in the summer thinking which club to join or rejoin.
This is the thing for me.

2 points turns a win into a draw, that can be overcome inside the first 90 minutes of the season.

It’s how the club looks though, you’ve hit the nail on the head, are players we are looking to bring in going to look at us as another Reading or Derby?

We are looking for a new owner, does this mean potential buyers will try to chance their arm and knock a few million off their bids and if they do and the Prince doesn’t budge on his asking price, does this make a takeover more unlikely?

And on a personal note, during a time when lots of other clubs have been playing fast and loose with football finances, it was nice to think we weren’t lumped in with them purely as a matter of principle but now people will lump us in with them.

I’m reluctant to slate the Prince as he did take us from League 1 to the Premier League but it is very disappointing.

They could have taken it off our points total from the year we committed the offence.
In fact they could have made it 12 points and saved us the ignominy of this season.
I am all for real time ffp/sporting sanctions like how la liga refuse to allow clubs to sign players who spend over the agreed terms. That's how they lost Messi on a free rather than getting docked points seasons later.

La dee dar. Someone's been watching Countdown! Ignominy. Very fancy! 👏👏

🤣

Only skim read Independent Commissions (IC) written reasons. My comments as follows;

1. The club have been aware of this since March 2023.
2. The club defaulted on transfer/loan payments to other clubs over a period of 600 days(1.65 years). The EFL considered this conduct was sufficiently serious to justify further sanctioning the club( in addition to the transfer embargo) under their rules and referred the matter to a disciplinary committee who appointed an IC.
3. The payment defaults related to 5 player transactions totalling £8.2 million.
3. Throughout 2023 both parties made submissions to the IC culminating in a hearing in January 2024. Nick De Marco KC represented the Club. The KC currently acting for Florist.
4. The IC found in favour of the EFL in February 2024 who had requested points deductions and a fine.
5. In March 2024 a compromise sanction was agreed at 2 points deducted plus 2 deferred for further breaches in the next full EFL season.
6. SUFC agreed there would no appeal.
6. Costs were awarded against SUFC totalling for £310,000 for the EFL plus the IC's costs.

Clearly defaulting on transfer payments over nearly two years has led to this state of affairs and the EFL felt obliged to push for further sanctions because the club was continually in breach of EFL payment rules. This drives a coach and horses through PA's response to Sheffield United Way that the embargo only related to around £1 million and lasted only a few months. 5 player transactions and £8 million in fees defaulted on suggests it certainly wasn't the picture being painted. That explains why consideration was given not to Appeal and get the best compromise avoiding a fine. The term I believe is "bang to rights"

The cost to the club in defending this action exceeds the £310,00 quoted. Add in the IC's costs and Mick De Marco who doesn't come cheap and you are looking at north of double that amount.

A sorry state of affairs imo. Not only has the clubs reputation been sullied but they now face stricter limitations on any future default with the potential for automatic additional point deductions. Will this affect future transfer dealings one can only speculate but it may lead to requests for more money up front. It also has the potential for any rival we do future business with running to the EFL to get the additional points applied should there be any semblance of delay in making payments.

The Clubs statement that they were waiting for payments from other clubs doesn't hold water imo. The EFL rules set out a clear process whereby SUFC could have invoked disciplinary proceedings via the EFL against said clubs for late payment within pre determined time scales. That doesn't seemed to have happened here.
Spot on

I’ve said on many occasions- what a clown we have as owner

Full decision here

Snippets...
United missed payments of...
(a) £1,000,000, £750,000 and £3,750,000 due to Club 1 under a permanent transferagreement for Player A - has to be Brewster
(b) EUR 2,000,000 due to Club 2 under a permanent transfer agreement for Player B - has to be Ahmedhodzic (half of €4m fee)
(c) £143,546.28 due to Club 3 in respect of the loan of Player C - probably Khadra, figure so exact that it must include penalty clauses
(d) £62,500 due to Club 4 in respect of the loan of Player D - Clark?
(e) EUR 900,000 due to Club 5 under a permanent transfer agreement for Player E - I assume that with the currency being Euros this can only be Berge

Cheers Prince
I've largely been a Prince supporter but I've no problem with the club being punished for that.

The money wasted on Brewster, what an absolute shit show. With the transfer fee, signing on fee, wages, it will cost £35 million and for what? Brewster is the South Stand debt for the new age, we will still be paying this for the next five years,

The money wasted on Brewster, what an absolute shit show. With the transfer fee, signing on fee, wages, it will cost £35 million and for what? Brewster is the South Stand debt for the new age, we will still be paying this for the next five years,
He is the player that Wilder really wanted and was initially refused by the Prince

Has anyone reported that the Prince actually lied on one of his spin sessions sure he said it was only about one player?
Don’t understand why people have a problem with the Prince ?

We wanted him to release funds to establish us in the PL and he did !

The fact it didn’t work out isn’t down to him but the people who spent the money .

The fact that he then didn’t pay the money we said we would pay when it all went tits up is incidental as is non payment to almost everyone else

Stop blaming prince - he’s depressed

To be honest I'm not that bothered about this. I don't have any expectation that we'll be challenging for promotion or even the play offs next season and expect a top twelve finish. So 2 points is nothing really.

I'll be more worried if we recruit poorly, pick up 101 injuries again and end up fighting relegation again.

I trust(y) that all players signed last summer are all being paid for accordingly then?

So, in the unlikely* event that we do a West ham and win 7 of our last 9 and stay up, does the -2 apply to us in the PL???

*It's genuinely more likely that we don't win any of our remaining games, I'm not considering this as a serious possibility

Ha ha.

So where did all the money go from the previous prem years and player sales?

Something smells fishy.

Oh wait sorry I checked companies house and it seems that despite all the tv money and prem money we needed to borrow 10 000 thousand billion which is why we could pay money owed for shite players.

Edit: over to you Thorntons

Back
Top Bottom