Playing fair

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

OllyBlade

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed from the matches we have been playing recently is that we are quite a 'clean' team. We didn't pick up a yellow on Sunday. I would have thought a lower league team vs Premiership, that would be quite unlikely.

Also, there seem to be times when we can 'take a yellow' to prevent the opposition developing dangerous counter-attacks, but we don't take them. This happened a few times on Sunday, but the most obvious recent example was away at Swindon for their winner.

Has anyone else noticed this? Whilst it is noble, I worry that next year with promotion (hopefully) at stake, it will cost us points.

One of the things I noticed in the Leyton Orient game was that whenever they (Orient) were on the attack, and lost the ball, they committed a foul. This brought the game to a halt and prevented United launching a counter attack. They committed the foul so early that there wasn't even a case for booking the offending player really, as the potential counter attack had hardly begun, and they always made sure that the foul was as tame as it could be whilst still ensuring that the United player couldn't play the ball as a result (usually it was a shove or push).

We didn't use this tactic at all, and as a result we were always at risk from a counter attack when we were on the attack and lost the ball.

I like the concept of playing in a 'clean' way, but in reality we will have to develop a slightly cynical streak at times to get automatic promotion. We won't play the opposition of the park every week.

One of the things I noticed in the Leyton Orient game was that whenever they (Orient) were on the attack, and lost the ball, they committed a foul. This brought the game to a halt and prevented United launching a counter attack. They committed the foul so early that there wasn't even a case for booking the offending player really, as the potential counter attack had hardly begun, and they always made sure that the foul was as tame as it could be whilst still ensuring that the United player couldn't play the ball as a result (usually it was a shove or push).

This is a growing trend - perfected by Wolves. Surely the refs. can see this if everybody else can? Where it's blatantly obvious, the ref. should issue a yellow however 'tame' or 'early' it is. By not doing so, they let these teams know they can get away with it.

Didn't Wolves have half their team booked when we played them?

Ok I didn't see the games v Wolves or Orient but interesting to hear what you saw. I actually think we were doing this under Weir too so wouldn't necessarily attribute it to the Cloughs' philosophy on the game. Nor am I advocating we become a cynical team and use fouling as a repeated tactic, just that in certain situations we seem to be going against common sense in not just making sure an attack stops, e.g. the concession of a late goal at Swindon. But I have actually been enjoying watching our approach to the game. 2nd goal at Wembley, we lost the ball at first, but then won it back fairly and scored: if we'd just gone in for a foul as soon as losing it that wouldn't happen!

Exactly Olly and if we were known for the cynical fouls, what would have happened in Freeman's case....I doubt he would have came back on.
Just like when players take dives, they may get a few penalties, but they are equally likely to get reds too.

A slippery slope. I believe.

I remember a time when I described Michael Tonge's position as 'penalty winner, left' and Jack Lester's as 'penalty winner, right'.

I'd much rather see us playing fair than being cynical, but at times it means it isn't an even contest. I'm not saying we should, but one team becoming a little more physical and cynical is easier to achieve then getting the other 23 (or 91) and a league full of refs to appreciate our more sporting approach.

I thought Sunday's game was played in great spirit, two teams going flat out to win a game of football and the referee not making it about him. More of that I say.

One thing I have noticed from the matches we have been playing recently is that we are quite a 'clean' team. We didn't pick up a yellow on Sunday. I would have thought a lower league team vs Premiership, that would be quite unlikely.

Also, there seem to be times when we can 'take a yellow' to prevent the opposition developing dangerous counter-attacks, but we don't take them. This happened a few times on Sunday, but the most obvious recent example was away at Swindon for their winner.

Has anyone else noticed this? Whilst it is noble, I worry that next year with promotion (hopefully) at stake, it will cost us points.
I agree fully on this olly,weve talked about this for years now, the cynical fouls and stopping an attack etc and most of the people i talked too agreed with me that we should bring in sin binning for these sorts of fouls, it would soon stop it but thats propably too technical for the f.a. to deal with
oh by the way zonemanwilf ,you say wolves had half their team booked when we played them ,if you watched the match they should have had alot more yellows than that, they got away with murder in that match ,bad reffereing and thats the point hes trying to get across

There's a difference between cynical and more physical. The last thing I want is for us to start committing lots of cynical fouls, the odd 'professional foul' will always happen in any team and should be punished in accordance with the rules. However, I do think we need a more physically present side. A few bigger players winning the 50-50 balls and knocking players off the ball rather than being knocked off ball would help us.
Cynical players e.g. Suarez spoil the game and make the result about that player, their antics and the referee's gullibility.
Last Sunday (17 fouls in total) was an advert for how the game should be played, it's about the football, skill and entertainment for the fans as well as the result.

I think a lot is down to the type of players also...I mean you could hardly say that Doyle or Harry were not physical!

Clough has installed discipline into the squad and I for one like it!

(reading that back..,sounds a bit pervy?)

Just the six (compared to our none). Should have been nearer nine or ten. Also they committed 17 fouls to our 3.
But they got promoted!

I also agree with agree with Esablade, I like what NC has done, but more physical does not mean dirty. Doyle and Harry are our only physical players, they are not dirty (Doyle sometimes sees red and e don't want that) we need a couple of physical players upfront.

Last edited:
Just a small point on the matter,everyone who gets promoted out of this league are big and strong sides ,we need more than harry and doyle to get out of this league as physicality goes ,as for the cynical side of the game,sides have used it to their advantage against us and thats fact ,whether you think its cheating or against the game we have to use it to our advantage because unfortunately its part of the game

Back
Top Bottom