Players who turned us down....for better or for worse?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derfblade.3

Reaction score
Robinson to Fulham and now maybe Cash to Villa this window but can anyone remember others who turned us down and if they made the right decision or fucked up. Prime example from last season is Waghorn. Surely he must be thinking "if only". Any others spring to mind?

They didn't turn us down, we decided not to compete.
Like we always do.
We'll find somebody that nobody else will be after, nobody will rate, no eyebrows will be raised, no excitement will occur, fans will say "Strange signing", he'll struggle to get in the team, but hey ! his attitude will be first class.
Of course his attitude will be first class, and of course he'll be delighted to be here, his only other option will be a club in the Championship at best.

Like we always do.
We'll find somebody that nobody else will be after, nobody will rate, no eyebrows will be raised, no excitement will occur, fans will say "Strange signing", he'll struggle to get in the team, but hey ! his attitude will be first class.
Of course his attitude will be first class, and of course he'll be delighted to be here, his only other option will be a club in the Championship at best.
Not paying over the odds isn't choosing not to compete. It's choosing not to be a fucking mug.

From memory, last season we missed out on; Jota to Villa & Maupay to Brighton.

Not paying over the odds isn't choosing not to compete. It's choosing not to be a fucking mug.

Rubbish
If a club says £15 million, it's £15 million

They might accept £12 or £13 million, but offering £10 million is insulting and immediately pisses off all parties.

If you don't want to offer something close to the asking price walk away and stop making us look like a bunch of small time pricks.

Rubbish

They might accept £12 or £13 million, but offering £10 million is insulting and immediately pisses off all parties.

If you don't want to offer something close to the asking price walk away and stop making us look like a bunch of small time pricks.
Only a fucking idiot or one with more money than sense would offer more than you think a player is worth. Luckily we have a sensible manager in charge who recognised value for what it is, not what dummy spitting fans want.

Rubbish

Get ya cheque book out JJ

Jason McCarthy who decided to join Barnsley - quote “I’m delighted I picked Barnsley and I wouldn’t have chosen anyone else.” And when ask about snubbing us said “It’s 1-0 Barnsley in that respect,”

Karma is a bitch how do I know that well after making 21 appearances for Barnsley he was sold to Millwall during which time he made 2 appearances then loaned out to Wycombe last season where he made 9 league one appearances.

Rubbish

Guess it depends if Wilder thinks a championship full back is worth 15 million and any better than what we've got in Baldock, not seen much of him myself but I doubt he's better than Baldock and if he isn't then15 million is ridiculous to spend on a back up.

Like we always do.
Makes you wonder how we’ve built a premier league squad. They must all be out of the academy.

Bob Latchford, Francis Lee might have been transfer fees.
Bill Jennings Watford? Courted by us, don't know how close we came to signing him. Went to West ham scored goals.
Dennis Mortimer on loan but wouldn't stay or wasn't asked.
Somebody from Argentina.

Like we always do.

u ok m8?

I mean, you've obviously chosen to ignore the fact that we won the race for Aaron Ramsdale when the press and the player himself both said other clubs were in for him.

And no other fucker wanted Sander Berge; one of the most sought after young players on the continent.

Rubbish

Thank fuck schools go back soon.

Rubbish

That's bollocks. Why pay more than you think he's worth?

Small time picks 😂😂😂😂

I know he isn’t a player but let’s not forget Megson

the ginger prick sat in the car park then couldn’t go through with it

do we have any ITK who know if this has any truth to it ??

if I had seen him there I would have dragged him out of the car park and threw him on first bus

Well I can say he's worth 17p
If I thought that why waste six weeks chasing him
You can say whatever you want. You don't get to decide what United think he's worth, or Forest for that matter. United have put a value on him. Doesn't look like they'll match what Forest want. Simple as that. Fuck all to do with being small time. It's bollocks like that that's put the Pigs so far up shit creek.

Waste 6 weeks? We put a bid in and it was rejected (as far as I know). I don't think that takes 6 weeks.

Way things are progressing looks like there could be a whole host of names to add come the close of this window.

You can say whatever you want. You don't get to decide what United think he's worth, or Forest for that matter. United have put a value on him. Doesn't look like they'll match what Forest want. Simple as that. Fuck all to do with being small time. It's bollocks like that that's put the Pigs so far up shit creek.

Waste 6 weeks? We put a bid in and it was rejected (as far as I know). I don't think that takes 6 weeks.

Anybody can put whatever value they want on a player, either match the valuation or at least get close to it, or walk away.
We've offered £10 million, been quoted £15 million and walked away, fair enough if we had walked away, but we didn't, we kept waffling bullshit, then trying to work freeman into the deal, then lost Freeman as well.
There's a constant load of waffle about keeping our signings secret because we have no intention of competing with other clubs.

But as soon as our derisory offer comes in it alerts everybody and the agent gets to work drumming up more interest. We might as well just pay closer to the valuation if it's a player we really want instead of constantly turning everything into a car boot sale

Believe we were in for Jack Robinson when he left QPR for forest.

Ricky Holmes chose Charlton over us didn’t he?

Funny how things work out as we ended up getting both of them eventually - so it’s not like wilder holds any grudges with the players.

Anybody can put whatever value they want on a player, either match the valuation or at least get close to it, or walk away.
We've offered £10 million, been quoted £15 million and walked away, fair enough if we had walked away, but we didn't, we kept waffling bullshit, then trying to work freeman into the deal, then lost Freeman as well.
There's a constant load of waffle about keeping our signings secret because we have no intention of competing with other clubs.

But as soon as our derisory offer comes in it alerts everybody and the agent gets to work drumming up more interest. We might as well just pay closer to the valuation if it's a player we really want instead of constantly turning everything into a car boot sale
Why is it derisory? £15m for a Championship full back is fucking nuts.

Directors wouldn't guarantee the 60k he would have cost.
Ian Wallace was another Scot that went elsewhere
Was going to ask about this. I read (think it was in the Tony Pritchard(Pritchett?) column) that they both turned us down in the same season. Ian 'Gordon' Wallace (It's a long time ago) was very successful at Coventry.

Why is it derisory? £15m for a Championship full back is fucking nuts.

It's the going rate.
I said after the season finished that we should now be competing with other clubs, not Man Utd, Liverpool, City, Chelsea etc. That's impossible.

But if we cannot compete, or refuse to compete with Crystal Palace, Brighton, Southampton, Burnley etc we'll go down.

If we make the same mistakes of dictating which player is worth what and not paying the going rate, we'll go down. There is nothing more certain than that..

It's the going rate.
I said after the season finished that we should now be competing with other clubs, not Man Utd, Liverpool, City, Chelsea etc. That's impossible.

But if we cannot compete, or refuse to compete with Crystal Palace, Brighton, Southampton, Burnley etc we'll go down.

If we make the same mistakes of dictating which player is worth what and not paying the going rate, we'll go down. There is nothing more certain than that..
I guarantee you that paying £15m for right backs in a Covid depressed market from a league with no fans or other sources of income is nuts. If Forest get £15m, good for them. Doesn't change the fact we don't value him at that level.

You overpay for forwards or players who are going to change the whole Outlook of your club. That's not Cash.

You must've missed the item I put up earlier but it bears repeating, we are one of three EPL clubs who do not have billionaire backers; Burnley and Leeds are the other two. If any of the others really want a player more than we do they will get them.

Back
Top Bottom