Players we have sold for more than they were really worth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For all the difficulties of Robson's period in charge, we did have a brief interlude of getting decent fees for the players we shifted out. In the space of a month or so, we moved Claude Davis on for £3m, Nade for £500k and Leigertwood for £1m.

For all the difficulties of Robson's period in charge, we did have a brief interlude of getting decent fees for the players we shifted out. In the space of a month or so, we moved Claude Davis on for £3m, Nade for £500k and Leigertwood for £1m.

Getting our money back for Clause Davis is hands down the best business ever done by Sheffield United, truly miraculous.

Was it not about £5m for a 19 year old who was voted in the Championship team of the season (and who has gone on the play almost 200 Premier League games)?

£5m back then though was a hell of a lot of money. The career that's followed is of a man who's somewhere between championship and Premier league standard. By the fees of the day I'm saying good sale....

Apart from letting an England first choice and multi title winning player go at the same time for f all

Aaron Ramsdale
Wayne Quinn
Lee Morris
Oliver Tebily
We got our money back for the constantly injured Alan Young
Ian Benjamin
My dad thought the same about Alan Birchenall

Any more?
Aaron Ramsdale
Wayne Quinn
Lee Morris
Oliver Tebily
Ian Benjamin

Any more?
I know we paid 100k for Chris Guthrie but Swindon actually gave us 20k for him...... I think we had their pants down.

Wow !!!!
And some wonder why we can never compete

Maybe if they challenged other clubs in the transfer market instead of playing the "Can't compete" card, the sales for more than we bought for might be considerably larger.

Problem with waiting for the dregs that nobody else wants after they've sifted through the decent stuff is those dregs can't be moved on, they came to us because nobody else wanted them.

Aaron Ramsdale
Wayne Quinn
Lee Morris
Oliver Tebily
Ian Benjamin

Any more?
Officially recorded in The Guinness Book of records as the worlds shortest list 👍👍

Really good thread this, can’t complain at any.
Ramsdale will bite us on the arse I’m sure eventually.

have none to add sorry.

How do you know if a player was not worth as much as you got for them?

I loved him as a player, I was furious when we sold him, and my goodness we needed the money, but as it turned out the sale of Tony Agana to Notts Count for 685 grand in November 1991 was done at exactly the right moment. His value plummeted thereafter.

Two fun Notts County facts about that deal:

- the day it was done, the Pies were 15th in a 22 team top division. They have never been that high in the 30 years since

- that was a club record fee for them. 30 years on it remains their second biggest fee. Only Kasper Schmeichel cost more.

Aaron Ramsdale
Wayne Quinn
Lee Morris
Oliver Tebily
Ian Benjamin

Any more?
Ramsdale appears to be a bit of optimism in this regard. We’ve not exactly made a killing on him. We paid £18m from memory, he probably has a sell on clause, he’s an international and we’re now playing a circus juggler between the sticks! I honestly think Arsenal have had our undercrackers down.

Back
Top Bottom