Overreacted - off-topic posts removed

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony

"Eacha heart out ya bums"
Reaction score
Just thought of our 5 post shutdown games.

Villa - if it wasn't for an iffy decision we could have won
Newcastle - no problems until Egan was sent off. That left us without our main back two. Could easily have got a draw.
Manure - think the game against Newcastle put us on the back foot. Still don't think any team in the league would have got anything. My tip for the Prem next season.
Arsenal - no fear game and played well, bit unlucky but getting back to normal
Spurs - Zzzzooooommmmmmmmmmmm. We're off again.

ADMIN NOTE: Derogatory term for Irish people removed from post.

Last edited by a moderator:

In the first 3 games I was shocked about how ordinary we looked and we also looked unfit.
I know we should have beat Villa but a draw was a fair result. It did make me wonder if the bubble had burst and I was concerned.

It was the Arsenal FA cup tie that cheered me up.....I know we lost but we were slightly the better side and in that match showed signs of our normal game.
To be honest I did think the sunny weather played a part.....we rely so much on pressing and playing a high tempo....this is impossible when it’s 25 degrees.

The Spurs, Burnley and Chelsea games show that we are now back to our pre lock down form.

I think we could easily be on 4 more points. Then again, we were arguably 'lucky' against Wolves, so let's say 2 more. That'd put us just in front of Wolves and only 3 points behind Leicester.

We have had at least one blip in every season since Wilder came in, whether at the start, in the middle, or towards the end. This one just caught us all out because none of us were expecting it, and to be fair it looked so dramatic at the time.

The key is finishing strongly, something that we generally do extremely well. I don't see us dropping any points from here on in to be honest. Energy levels are back up to where they were, and confidence is flowing through us again. Wilder's teams are very very dangerous when those things come together.

That being said I am normally very optimistic where we are concerned. UTB!

We were terrible against Villa and Newcastle. Barely competitive for big portions. It was only Villa's incompetence that got us a point. Man Utd, I actually think we showed a few signs first half of little improvements but the heat, 3 games in 6 days, injuries was always going to make that game nigh on unwinnable (even if we'd been playing well).

The character showed to turn that around has been impressive. The quality we showed in attack against Spurs and Chelsea was really encouraging.

Have to say I was a little guilty of this.

I doubted where we would get a win from the last 10 games having seen us strangely look nothing like a Wilder team at Villa.
I was concerned we had lost all momentum, then confidence and allied to the heat and return of opponents players fresh and ready we would really struggle and then perhaps carry that over into next season.

In hindsight I was clearly underestimating our manager and players again....done it once or twice Before and had been proved wrong every time. And he’s done me again.
I’m an embarrassment.

We were terrible against Villa and Newcastle. Barely competitive for big portions. It was only Villa's incompetence that got us a point. Man Utd, I actually think we showed a few signs first half of little improvements but the heat, 3 games in 6 days, injuries was always going to make that game nigh on unwinnable (even if we'd been playing well).

The character showed to turn that around has been impressive. The quality we showed in attack against Spurs and Chelsea was really encouraging.
Agreed, the first half against Man Utd wasn't actually bad at all. I remember saying to my mate, if we can get to half time at 1-0 down, I could see us maybe getting a draw. That second goal before HT really was a hammer blow.

Again, not saying we would have got anything, but I think it just knocked us for six and it was telling in the second half.

I thought that we would be the strongest and fittest side in the league at the resumption of play after lockdown. I felt our squad was more grounded, more dedicated and focused than many of the established Premier League superstars and that would be a huge advantage.

I was shocked how poor we were in the first three matches and equally so how quickly we’ve since turned it around.

We all know Wilder won’t let them drop their standards before the very last whistle at Southampton and I don’t think we’ll drop another point.

In the first 3 games I was shocked about how ordinary we looked and we also looked unfit.
I know we should have beat Villa but a draw was a fair result. It did make me wonder if the bubble had burst and I was concerned.

It was the Arsenal FA cup tie that cheered me up.....I know we lost but we were slightly the better side and in that match showed signs of our normal game.
To be honest I did think the sunny weather played a part.....we rely so much on pressing and playing a high tempo....this is impossible when it’s 25 degrees.

The Spurs, Burnley and Chelsea games show that we are now back to our pre lock down form.

Your point about the weather is a good one - it did cross my mind how the last few matches might have gone differently had we been playing in the 30 degrees we had at Old Trafford. Fortunately next season is pretty unlikely to have (m)any games in those temperatures...

There is no denying that our levels, individually and collectively were simply not at the levels we have come to expect straight after the lockdown ended.

The vast improvement since then, while so obviously pleasing for all of us, is one of the most unexplainable events I have ever witnessed in studying football for over 40 years.

That Wilder magic dust sure is something to behold 😀👍👏.

UTB

Just thought of our 5 post shutdown games.

Villa - if it wasn't for an iffy decision we could have won
Newcastle - no problems until Egan was sent off. That left us without our main back two. Could easily have got a draw.
Manure - think the game against Newcastle put us on the back foot. Still don't think any team in the league would have got anything. My tip for the Prem next season.
Arsenal - no fear game and played well, bit unlucky but getting back to normal
Spurs - Zzzzooooommmmmmmmmmmm. We're off again.

I think it was a combination of two things that led to the fans' "overreaction" after the first few games:
1. We were below par (or crap) against Villa, Newcastle and Man Utd.
2. Our expectations had been raised by everything we heard coming out of the club and players - we were the fittest we'd been, we were ready to play again whenever we were given the green light, we'd been organised and well prepared since returning to training during lockdown - all this whilst other clubs were crying for null and void and integrity in the game.

Villa game - two poor, unfit teams...if it wasn't for the an iffy decision we'd have won, but if it wasn't for iffy goalkeeping there wouldn't have been the iffy decision. We weren't going to score any other way that day.
Newcastle game - terrible performance. They repeated what they did to us at the Lane (sat back and hit us on the break) only this time we played much poorer. Looked very vulnerable to their attacks.
Man U - Outplayed, outclassed by a better team. Couple of spells where you could see green shoots of playing style coming back. But in hot conditions, we could have conceded more in all honesty.
Arsenal - much better, confidence-building performance. Looked better to be back at the Lane and unlucky to concede late winner. A real shame to crash out of the cup and wish game could have come a week later.
Spurs - We're back! Confidence restored...much sharper performance and recognizable style of play.

Reasons to justify sub-par performances:
  • We're always slow starters after a break
  • Key players missing through injuries/suspensions at various points
  • Hot conditions
  • Unique circumstances
  • Extra league and cup game to fit in compared to others

Crap performances are what they are and we all acknowledged them. Thing is, there were a lot of factors at play from the new playing conditions to minor injuries to a red card to Hawkeye's first football failure. I thought our season was effectively over and all I really wanted was us to put in some good last performances to go into next season with confidence.

The fact we've then gone on to beat three of the teams around us is a stunning response from the players, especially missing two key midfielders. I would've been over the moon to go into the last few games with everything still to play for, I just thought it would be at the other end of the table.

Biggest question occupying my thoughts right now.... Does Fleck get back in the starting 11? Osborne has been immense.... Berge is starting to realise how good he is/could be... Norwood is the gaffer at being well... Norwood... So... Does he???

For me, the "blip" was only the loss at Newcastle.

OK we weren't at our best v Villa, but we got a decent away draw after a big VAR decision went against us. Man U were simply better than us. We played well against Arsenal and were unlucky not to take it to extra time.

Always laugh when we lose a couple of games and suddenly players are ‘unfit’. Seems like we just needed 2/3 games to get that match sharpness back. Some seem to not know the difference.

Your point about the weather is a good one - it did cross my mind how the last few matches might have gone differently had we been playing in the 30 degrees we had at Old Trafford. Fortunately next season is pretty unlikely to have (m)any games in those temperatures...

It gets pretty hot in Barcelona.

We have had at least one blip in every season since Wilder came in, whether at the start, in the middle, or towards the end. This one just caught us all out because none of us were expecting it, and to be fair it looked so dramatic at the time.

The key is finishing strongly, something that we generally do extremely well. I don't see us dropping any points from here on in to be honest. Energy levels are back up to where they were, and confidence is flowing through us again. Wilder's teams are very very dangerous when those things come together.

That being said I am normally very optimistic where we are concerned. UTB!
Bloody hell.
I didn't think that Sheffield United and optimism went together at all. 🤔

Is it maybe not fitness at all, but rather that our style is so unusual that even our own kind of lose it a bit after a break? Been a recurring theme after all. Takes a few games to get that instinct back between the players and so there's a tendancy to resort to more orthodox football? More so with key elements missing. Hope so in a way-the extra games on the continent could actually help with maintaining continuity.

I mentioned our slow re-srarts in another post. The international brezaks confirmed it in the autumn. Post lockdown we were slow out of the blocks too.
Not sure it’s fitness, or even hot conditions, (same for both sides).
It even happens after the drinks breaks, when are also slow to re-establish momentum.
As someone else just pointed out, the system is complex to kick start, and player changes due to injuries can’t have helped, despite Robinson being adequate, and Osborn playing so well.
The quick turnaround in games helps up to a point, but I am glad that McBurnie and Berge get extra recovery time for our next fixture. Both looked well knackered when subbbed in the Chelsea game.
Despite the lack of fans, our home form has been very, very good. (watch out Everton). Away games at Leicester and Southampton to come, and I think the last game will be hardest to get points from.
That said, CWAK love proving me wrong. ;)

I mentioned our slow re-srarts in another post. The international brezaks confirmed it in the autumn. Post lockdown we were slow out of the blocks too.
Not sure it’s fitness, or even hot conditions, (same for both sides).
It even happens after the drinks breaks, when are also slow to re-establish momentum.
As someone else just pointed out, the system is complex to kick start, and player changes due to injuries can’t have helped, despite Robinson being adequate, and Osborn playing so well.
The quick turnaround in games helps up to a point, but I am glad that McBurnie and Berge get extra recovery time for our next fixture. Both looked well knackered when subbbed in the Chelsea game.
Despite the lack of fans, our home form has been very, very good. (watch out Everton). Away games at Leicester and Southampton to come, and I think the last game will be hardest to get points from.
That said, CWAK love proving me wrong. ;)

Southampton aren’t the force at home that they are away

90% of the fans over reacted it was Disgusting to see. We want that family bond between fans and players. Soon as players had an off day they jumped down their throats.

Makes me worry for next season how the fans are only like a family towards team whilst winning. Soon as gets tough fans turn.

90% of the fans over reacted it was Disgusting to see. We want that family bond between fans and players. Soon as players had an off day they jumped down their throats.

Makes me worry for next season how the fans are only like a family towards team whilst winning. Soon as gets tough fans turn.

Not sure it was anything like that, tbh. It was a small minority of posters on here .... and “on here” is in turn a very small proportion of Utd fans more widely.

Not sure it was anything like that bad, tbh. It was a small minority of posters on here .... and “on here” is in turn a very small proportion of Utd fans more widely.

We can agree to disagree. There was a huge number moaning on twitter about everything. They’re commitment was questioned. It was a joke. Now the same people are very quiet.

We can agree to disagree. There was a huge number moaning on twitter about everything. They’re commitment was questioned. It was a joke. Now the same people are very quiet.

Fair enough. I’m not on Twatter—not properly, anyhow—so I missed all that.

Usually the same people demanding Europe next season and a higher finish next

The last 3 glorious games have helped us forget just how bad that Villa game was. The players looked like they were struggling physically and mentally - slow, error-prone, lacking creativity.
I never for a second doubted the player's commitment or desire, but I thought we had seriously messed up our preparation and didn't see how we could recover with so little time between games.
But it shows just how awesome our players and the coaching team really are to get themselves from the Villa performance (bottom end Championship) to the Chelsea game (European contenders)

What I saw on here was mainly a discussion about under-performing players. It wasn't the results, which had reasons behind them (red card/VAR/opposition) but the sudden change in player performance and, seemingly, attitude. It's perfectly reasonable to have that discussion, as I've said several times on other threads. What is the point of a discussion forum if it isn't to discuss the performance of the previous game? Some players were clearly performing below what anyone could reasonably expect and the team as a whole looked like the Championship new boys that everyone predicted we would be.

That was worrying and still is. That our team's spirit and ethos is so fragile is not good - neutrals keep insisting that it's Wilder and Wilder alone that is the cause of our team's success and I would like to disagree and say that our players are PL standard and have what it takes, dips in performance like this suggest I'm wrong and the pundits are right.

I don't do Twitter or Facebook and the like, I find it odd that people would post on here and mean reactions on other social media without specifying which media platform they're talking about, so I assume this thread is about posts on here and there were too few over-reactions to get het up about.

I do find it ironic, though, that a post criticising over-reactions would claim that 90% of fans over-reacted.
Oh, and the casual racism.... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom