One team in Sheffield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

manxblade

Reaction score
Screenshot_20230618_212455_Maps.jpg
This is where I am tonight trying to communicate with and Albanian farmer who doesn't speak English and obviously I don't speak Albanian
But he says Birmingham London. I say Sheffield he says straight away Sheffield united. For years if you said Sheffield people would say who do you support united or Wednesday but when thinking about that stopped a few years ago everyone now says Sheffield united.

Portugal is the same. I wandered around the Portuguese/Spanish border areas in red and white stripes and, even though Stoke, Sunderland and Southampton were more successful than us at the time, all the Portuguese automatically assumed English red and white meant Sheff Utd.

It took a while to bottom out, but the answer as to why, was Jimmy Hagan - ex manager of Benfica and Sporting Lisbon (and Boavista, Setubal and Belenenses)

View attachment 162746
This is where I am tonight trying to communicate with and Albanian farmer who doesn't speak English and obviously I don't speak Albanian
But he says Birmingham London. I say Sheffield he says straight away Sheffield united. For years if you said Sheffield people would say who do you support united or Wednesday but when thinking about that stopped a few years ago everyone now says Sheffield united.
Blades 😎

I'm interested... why you're trying to speak with an Albanian farmer there?

I had a similar experience in Antalya, Turkey several years ago.

Got chatting to a Turkish waiter about football, he asked where I was from, I said Sheffield, he said, "Ah Sheffield United yes? It must be".

He then asked my then-wife if she supported a football team.

She said, "Yes, Scunthorpe".

He smiled politely and went to get our drinks...

Blades 😎

I'm interested... why you're trying to speak with an Albanian farmer there?
I was walking the dogs and he was working in the field he came over and started chatting away in Albanian but with a smile on his face so I tried a bit of Greek I know my wife a bit of French and some how with a mix of 4 languages we communicated. Then he phoned his 11 year old granddaughter who could do a little English. We also left with a gift of 4 cucumbers 🥒 😁

View attachment 162746
Trying to “ communicate with an Albanian farmer” ! Not a phrase you often read on here

However many Blades have had this experience in life I can guarantee you that there's 1 more pig who's had the opposite experience.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Obviously you haven't gotten to Berat in Alabania yet and saw that massive mural of Barry Bannan placing his foot over a conquered Peterborough player on one of the apartment complexes there.
theres also a mural there of duffy placing his foot over a conquered wednesday player 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 162746
I'll ask the question. Why the fuck are you there?

American friends know Sheffield United and can’t understand why a team would name themselves after a mid week day of the week 😂

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Obviously you haven't gotten to Berat in Alabania yet and saw that massive mural of Barry Bannan placing his foot over a conquered Peterborough player on one of the apartment complexes there.
If you post that in your natural habitat of owlstalk, the thick twats will believe you and it will be broadcast around social media as fact within minutes.

Like I say, thick twats.

I was walking the dogs and he was working in the field he came over and started chatting away in Albanian but with a smile on his face so I tried a bit of Greek I know my wife a bit of French and some how with a mix of 4 languages we communicated. Then he phoned his 11 year old granddaughter who could do a little English. We also left with a gift of 4 cucumbers 🥒 😁
That happened to me in a bar in Amsterdam

Sheffutd now have a decent size fanbase in split/ makarska in Croatia .
Stari plaq the old ground area is full.of blades souvenirs.
I've got close contacts there and they follow the blades and come over .
This is going back since 1997

It’s inevitable, as much as it must undoubtedly hurt them. 25 years out of the limelight takes you off everyone’s radar. They are now “Sheffield Wednesday, remember them?”.

But then again I think their contention about what a huge club they are has as much credibility as Uruguay claiming they are one of the elite footballing nations because they won the World Cup twice way back when it all started. They undoubtedly were once, but they aren’t now.

Bet the missus was pleased

Back
Top Bottom