One day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Paddy1

Reaction score
Sad as I may be and many thousands more, I at least hold hope that one day this regime will be gone and the door will remain open for one of our own to walk back through to take over the reigns once again. One day Chris you’ll be back and we’ll feel that connection that this generation of fans had only ever felt with a manager and it’s team.

Admin note: potentially libelous content removed from post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sad as I may be and many thousands more, I at least hold hope that one day this regime will be gone and the door will remain open for one of our own to walk back through to take over the reigns once again. One day Chris you’ll be back and we’ll feel that connection that this generation of fans had only ever felt with a manager and it’s team.
We can dream

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst part of today hasn't been Wilder leaving, it's been discovering that a large proportion of our fans are utter tits, you've got the openly racist, the ones trying and failing not to be racist, the ones making shit up that sound like Wednesday fans on their thread about us, and the ones that seem to only follow Sheffield United for Wilder.

Absolute state. You'd have thought they might have actually listened to some of the things Wilder has said over the years and then they'd know, no-one is bigger than the club.

Think some people would just wind us up if they were able to to be honest.

The worst part of today hasn't been Wilder leaving, it's been discovering that a large proportion of our fans are utter tits, you've got the openly racist, the ones trying and failing not to be racist, the ones making shit up that sound like Wednesday fans on their thread about us, and the ones that seem to only follow Sheffield United for Wilder.

Absolute state. You'd have thought they might have actually listened to some of the things Wilder has said over the years and then they'd know, no-one is bigger than the club.

WTF you talking about Willis?
I've seen nothing even approaching racism on here. Zero.. Zilch.

WTF you talking about Willis?
I've seen nothing even approaching racism on here. Zero.. Zilch.

I've seen some slightly iffy stuff on here, but on twatter and instagram it's a reyt state, so I can only imagine how bad Facebook is.

Managers at all clubs have to put up with stuff that annoys them . CW surely knew the fact we are a club of limited means.
We all knew we had to follow the Burnley yo yo route to building up to be competitive in the prem. Up make some money go down and battle back
Norwich are doing it
Chris has just got impatient and wanted stuff now. But covid has the board being wary of spending as incomes only sky money so things like redeveloping the training is on hold. Probably be up again as soon as restrictions let the fans back.

I'm disappointed he's decided to let frustrations win the argument.
But we will be back .. We got back after Basset and after Warnock. We will return again

I swear some would be happy to drop down to the National League if it meant we had an owner, manager and team that are all United supporters from Sheffield.
It’s nothing to do with that and you know it isn’t. It’s the fact he reconnected the supporters with the club. Being a Blade certainly helped. Now any new manager will have to repair that connection AND hit the ground running because when the fans are back in next year the new yes man will get very little leeway from them.... Let’s pray he does because if the parachute payments dwindle the potless Prince will be looking for yet another miracle worker

It’s nothing to do with that and you know it isn’t. It’s the fact he reconnected the supporters with the club. Being a Blade certainly helped. Now any new manager will have to repair that connection AND hit the ground running because when the fans are back in next year the new yes man will get very little leeway from them.... Let’s pray he does because if the parachute payments dwindle the potless Prince will be looking for yet another miracle worker

We haven’t got a pot to piss in regrettably. We had the 6th lowest wage bill in the Championship when we got promoted.

Expect 4 or 5 sales of first XI in the summer and free transfer / low cost replacements. We need to service the ground debt ultimately. No chance a decent or proven manager would join a club without a war chest.

Winning = identity. If we'd hung around in L1 for 3 seasons it'd not have been like this.

People pretending Wilder "gave us our club back" because he's a supporter are being disingenuous. We were on a roll based purely on what was happening with the first team.

Be upset that a successful manager lost his way and that losing 28 of the last 38 games has broken the spirit at the club. Be sad that the roller coaster came off the tracks. Be angry that two grown men who'd both be better off working together couldn't find a way.

But don't pretend it wasn't success that made Wilder. Everything else is sentiment

We haven’t got a pot to piss in regrettably.

Expect 4 or 5 sales of first XI in the summer and free transfer / low cost replacements. We need to service the ground debt ultimately. No chance a decent or proven manager would join a club without a war chest.
But what other clubs will they join? Who else has a pot to piss in? Football outside the big clubs is fucked completely

Well Mr. Prince, you've certainly made your bed now, an ex pig and a faceless Southerner to win over the hearts and minds of the Faithful,
Best of luck, you're going to need it UTB

The tight connection between club manager and fans is what's done for us .
Once covid hit the fans left the building
We relied heavily on this bond. It's hit us hardest as it's what we are built upon

But what hit us the hardest is last season we were lucky to be injury free
Wilder had options . Every match day he could stick to a plan. This season it's been sticking players covering the team sheets.
He got lulled into buying long term prospects. As he'd got used to having a squad that picked itself. The players hed got didnt cover the swaithe of injuries.
The 1-0 wins all became 1-0 defeats
The money stopped flooding in as the tv money was slowed which has affected all clubs .But us most as we didn't have much to start with

But what other clubs will they join? Who else has a pot to piss in? Football outside the big clubs is fucked completely

There’s plenty of clubs in the Championship with deeper pockets than us next year. Unless we get some external investment at boardroom level we are servicing our debts and relying on breadcrumbs again.

There’s plenty of clubs in the Championship with deeper pockets than us next year. Unless we get some external investment at boardroom level we are servicing our debts and relying on breadcrumbs again.
Who? You've got PL clubs taking out £100m+ loans just to fund operations.

Be mad at the owner (and Wilder) for fuckibg this up. But the club isn't at deaths door financially. Relegated clubs sell players

The tight connection between club manager and fans is what's done for us .
Once covid hit the fans left the building
We relied heavily on this bond. It's hit us hardest as it's what we are built upon

But what hit us the hardest is last season we were lucky to be injury free
Wilder had options . Every match day he could stick to a plan. This season it's been sticking players covering the team sheets.
He got lulled into buying long term prospects. As he'd got used to having a squad that picked itself. The players hed got didnt cover the swaithe of injuries.
The 1-0 wins all
He had ambition for the club that we should have acted upon after our great season. Unfortunately we are the worst payers in this division. If you don’t pay premier league wages you don’t attract premier league players. Whichever route you go down after that (be it the princes way or Wilders) is a huge gamble

Who? You've got PL clubs taking out £100m+ loans just to fund operations.

Be mad at the owner (and Wilder) for fuckibg this up. But the club isn't at deaths door financially. Relegated clubs sell players

Norwich, Watford, Bristol City, etc.

We were almost in Admin when we got promoted out of League 1. We had the 6th lowest wages in the Championship when we got promoted and we struggled to pay PL wages this last two seasons. We have had to take out loans to fund the acquisition of our own ground, at probably the maximum our income has been in a 20 year window. This doesn’t strike me as a particularly well resourced club. We’ve been borrowing money against future income. Articles in the press stating Michael Appleton has “admirers at boardroom level” don’t appear by magic. If that’s the pool we’re fishing in then I’m worried.

Football is an expensive habit. Deepest pockets win. Looking dispassionately we look a poorly resourced club capable of making bad strategic decisions. That doesn’t bode well for me, although I guess that is consistent with how we’ve largely been for my lifetime.

Norwich, Watford, Bristol City, etc.

We were almost in Admin when we got promoted out of League 1. We have had to take out loans to fund the acquisition of our own ground. This doesn’t strike me as a particularly well resourced club. We’ve been borrowing money against future income. Articles in the press stating Michael Appleton has “admirers at boardroom level” don’t appear by magic. If that’s the pool we’re fishing in then I’m worried.

Football is an expensive habit. Deepest pockets win. Looking dispassionately we look a poorly resourced club capable of making bad strategic decisions. That doesn’t bode well for me, although I guess that is consistent with how we’ve largely been for my lifetime.
Likely promoted, likely promoted, more basket case than United.

United are one of 25-ish clubs in the country who are big enough to think the PL is a realistic goal, but aren't an elite club. Spending 6 years in L1 would almost destroy any club of that type (Sunderland, Leeds, Forest, Wednesday all had their version of this).

Wilder has also made a bad strategic decision in leaving. He's never going to recreate what he had here. It's a shitty time for everyone who cares about the club but that doesn't mean the club is going to destroy all the good work of the last few years.

In comparison to 90% of the Championship the club is well run and sensibly financed to remain a goibg concern

United are one of 25-ish clubs in the country who are big enough to think the PL is a realistic goal, but aren't an elite club. Spending 6 years in L1 would almost destroy any club of that type (Sunderland, Leeds, Forest, Wednesday all had their version of this).

Wilder has also made a bad strategic decision in leaving. He's never going to recreate what he had here. It's a shitty time for everyone who cares about the club but that doesn't mean the club is going to destroy all the good work of the last few years.

In comparison to 90% of the Championship the club is well run and sensibly financed to remain a goibg concern

Ultimately the proof will be when we appoint a top manager, make some constructive moves in the transfer market and retain our best players with limited player sales. I don’t see a cat in hells chance of that happening; even Bettis’s statement, the first of the post CW era, looked like we on the edge of implosion. I’m sure you’ll beg to differ, that’s your prerogative.

Ultimately the proof will be when we appoint a top manager, make some constructive moves in the transfer market and retain our best players with limited player sales. I don’t see a cat in hells chance of that happening; even Bettis’s statement, the first of the post CW era, looked like we on the edge of implosion. I’m sure you’ll beg to differ, that’s your prerogative.
I've said for 3 months that we'll need to trim the squad and sell players who may cause the fans to be upset. I've said it over and over. But I was told by nearly everyone that I was wrong.

You don't have an owner who isn't a billionaire, spend £200m on fees and wages over 2 seasons, sort out the mortgage and manage the pandemic in a relegation season and not have to make decent sized cuts to your outgoings.

yeah, some of the dog whistle racism is a bit worrying. I do think we've a fair share of undercover Pigs on here though.

I've said for 3 months that we'll need to trim the squad and sell players who may cause the fans to be upset. I've said it over and over. But I was told by nearly everyone that I was wrong.

You don't have an owner who isn't a billionaire, spend £200m on fees and wages over 2 seasons, sort out the mortgage and manage the pandemic in a relegation season and not have to make decent sized cuts to your outgoings.

We’re not really arguing about anything. We’re already paying Championship wages. If we’re making cuts, they should be comparatively low when looking at other relegated clubs with much bigger wage bills. If we’re going to make swingeing cuts anyway, why not push the boat out a little more in the PL.

Anyway we’re aligned that cuts are coming and the coffers are slim, what we need is a manager who is proven to get teams up from the Championship whilst spending a pittance. (I’ll leave everyone to insert their own “Lol”)

It’s quite amusing Carlton and I don’t necessarily mean you when I say this but the fans who are defending this decision are the fans saying we will be ok and it’s not as bad as people are making out. These are the same fans that said we weren’t going to go up next season and probably end up struggling near the bottom.
For what its worth on the pitch I think were fucked. I don’t see any conceivable way how we can get promoted. A lot of people will look back on this day in years to come and still shake their heads. This has just trumped the selling of Deane and Fjortoft, This club don’t half know how to create milestones and they are usually not for the better.

We’re not really arguing about anything. We’re already paying Championship wages. If we’re making cuts, they should be comparatively low when looking at other relegated clubs with much bigger wage bills. If we’re going to make swingeing cuts anyway, why not push the boat out a little more in the PL.

Anyway we’re aligned that cuts are coming and the coffers are slim, what we need is a manager who is proven to get teams up from the Championship whilst spending a pittance. (I’ll leave everyone to insert their own “Lol”)
I think the boat was pushed out in a way that suited the club and the manager at the time. But when buying second tier Championship players in season 1 didn't work CW wanted more expensive signings from the same league that produced little value previously and the owner disagreed. Everything after that appears to be both sides trying to make sure that the blame for this mess of a season isn't laid at their door.

£50m+ isn't a Championship wage bill. Especially when coupled with the transfer outlay

It’s quite amusing Carlton and I don’t necessarily mean you when I say this but the fans who are defending this decision are the fans saying we will be ok and it’s not as bad as people are making out. These are the same fans that said we weren’t going to go up next season and probably end up struggling near the bottom.
For what its worth on the pitch I think were fucked. I don’t see any conceivable way how we can get promoted. A lot of people will look back on this day in years to come and still shake their heads. This has just trumped the selling of Deane and Fjortoft, This club don’t half know how to create milestones and they are usually not for the better.
I'm not defending it really. Just trying to find a way to get my head round how we've fucked this up so badly.

My opinion is that Wilder and the owner share equal blame

Back
Top Bottom