Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Always get these mixed up along with Pond St Nora.
I have not seen a photo of Pond Street Nora. I remember in the early 1970s always avoiding the bottom of the A and B platform of the bus station because a woman who was always there stank so bad. Wonder if it was her. When did she disappear from the scene?

Last edited:

I have not seen a photo of Pond Street Nora. I remember in the early 1970s always avoiding the bottom of the A and B platform of the bus station because a woman who was always there stank so bad. Wonder if it was her. When did she disappear from the scene?

She spent a lot of time outside the Four Seasons cafe at the bus station.

I can’t find any photos of her, but apparently her full name was Norah Kathleen Welbourn and was born in Sheffield on 6th November 1915, the fifth of six children of a steelworker and his wife.
She married a man called Tom Lee in 1942 and they had a daughter in 1945 called Kathleen. I’m not aware of what happened in subsequent years, but it appears she died of cancer in Middlewood Hospital in 1986.

I'm always fascinated by stories like this. It's interesting to note that because of the death penalty still being in existence, the jury were possibly influenced into finding him guilty of manslaughter instead of murder.
The astonishing thing (apart from the sentence) is that he got married afterwards. I wonder if he told his wife about the killing

On the sentence, one can see how much the world has changed since then. Presumably getting into a dispute with a sex worker because she allegedly upped her price and which ended in her death was some sort of mitigation. It would see you gey a greater sentence now.

Those were the days when you murdered with intent it was a mandatory visit from Mr Pierrepoint. The appeals had little or no effect. "The law must take it's course2 written on the bottom of the final appeal. Ruth Ellis would have been out of prison in a few years with all the mitigation these days.

Harry Latham on both those team photos. What year is the older team photo? Has the older team photo being taken on the cricket square with Bramall Lane end in the background?

I didn't quite understand the reference to Jimmy Hagan having 'the wanderlust since the war'.
Not sure where taken exactly but think around the years 47/48

Not sure where taken exactly but think around the years 47/48
Yes, at Aston Villa on October 18th 1947. Fred White's league debut for us 10 years after joining us from Everton. The match was the only time White and Forbes were in the same line-up in the league. Forbes moved to Arsenal before White's second league game for us. Villa beat us 2-0

High up in the East Stand sits Bert.
His memory has informed him him that it was in 1969 and Spurs won 1-0. Roger Morgan scoring the goal. Greaves had two ruled out for offside.

FB_IMG_1708314292202.jpg

Harry Latham on both those team photos. What year is the older team photo? Has the older team photo being taken on the cricket square with Bramall Lane end in the background?

I didn't quite understand the reference to Jimmy Hagan having 'the wanderlust since the war'.
The season being described in the article is 1947-8.

The defeat in the cup at Crewe was a giant killing. We were Division 1, Crewe Division 3 North.

The "wanderlust" thing is a reference to Hagan being unsettled and perhaps wanting a transfer. He had not played a lot during the War and had guested for other teams, and played a lot of (unofficial) England War time internationals. He did not immediately sign for us when League football started again, and United ended up cutting a deal with him that he could train as a surveyor in tandem with playing for us.

The article was wrong in the end: we did not have a high or modest finish the following season. We were relegated.

The season being described in the article is 1947-8.

The defeat in the cup at Crewe was a giant killing. We were Division 1, Crewe Division 3 North.

The "wanderlust" thing is a reference to Hagan being unsettled and perhaps wanting a transfer. He had not played a lot during the War and had guested for other teams, and played a lot of (unofficial) England War time internationals. He did not immediately sign for us when League football started again, and United ended up cutting a deal with him that he could train as a surveyor in tandem with playing for us.

The article was wrong in the end: we did not have a high or modest finish the following season. We were relegated.
We were relegated in the following season

Bert who do you think was the better player, Jimmy Greaves or Dennis Law. my late dad always told me Dennis Law was deadly in the penalty area so he favoured Dennis Law. I think Jimmy Greaves was better.

Back
Top Bottom