Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Do anyone in here know what was the quickest journey time for a train to travel from Sheffield to London pre WW1?

This has got me out of my long-term lurking torpor.

While I don’t know the answer to this, I know a man who does and who in the blink of an eye tells me that in 1908 you could depart Sheffield and arrive at St Pancras in 3 hours and 3 minutes. Depart Sheffield Midland 11:12 and arrive St Pancras at 14:15. That is the fastest train of the day. Other departures could be much slower.

PM me if you need any more detail.

While I don’t know the answer to this, I know a man who does and who in the blink of an eye tells me that in 1908 you could depart Sheffield and arrive at St Pancras in 3 hours and 3 minutes. Depart Sheffield Midland 11:12 and arrive St Pancras at 14:15. That is the fastest train of the day. Other departures could be much slower.

Cheers

Yes, it could well be
Have you any images of the car you think it is?
As an aside, I've never owned an Alfa (sob), but have had an A reg 1.7 litre poverty spec Ambassador, for my sins
Great spot on the VW, I wouldn't have got that in a million years

I would like to change my spotting from the Giulietta to the Alfa 33. I would also like to dismiss my earlier enthusiasm for the GX5 variant of the Santana, it is a mere 4 cylinder LX.

Alfa 33, what do you think?

alfa_romeo_33_1.5_quadrifoglio_oro.jpg

Yes, it could well be
Have you any images of the car you think it is?
As an aside, I've never owned an Alfa (sob), but have had an A reg 1.7 litre poverty spec Ambassador, for my sins
Great spot on the VW, I wouldn't have got that in a million years

I would like to change my spotting from the Giulietta to the Alfa 33. I would also like to dismiss my earlier enthusiasm for the GX5 variant of the Santana, it is a mere 4 cylinder LX.

Alfa 33, what do you think?

View attachment 82445

Do anyone in here know what was the quickest journey time for a train to travel from Sheffield to London pre WW1?
In July 1903 the Great Cental time from Sheffield Victoria to London Marylebone was said to be 3 hours. The GC was always faster than the Midland main line, not many gradients over 1in 176 and most curves were 1 mile radius it was built for speed.

Those two were both decent blokes, strict but fare. I remember Moxons name but can’t put a face to him now.
I also remember taking part in a 24 hour sponsored swimathon in that pool to raise money towards buying a cottage in North Yorkshire to be used as a outdoor pursuits centre.
Last time I went past all the original school had been bulldozed with only parts of what was a brand new extension the year I started left standing.
Mr Moxon was tallish,brown hair n beard. We always reckoned him and Miss Jepson were getting it on,or off even. I took part in the swimathon and went to Brownhead Farm,purchased with monies raised. 74 ish I think

Nearly 8 years registered before your first post. And who know how many years lurking before that.

Must be some sort of record!

The winger could be Jackie Sinclair ex Wednesday
Reckon you could be right about Sinclair, remember the name but that's all.
I'm going for L**ds Utd as the team in white .A young Norman Hunter looking at camera with John Charles grounded. Whites man in air no idea.
Wyn Davies, he was quite prolific for a couple of seasons, a reight hand full as was his name sake Ron. Remind me here they were both strong, hard strikers but more of a 'footballing' striker than say a battering ram type, both Welsh Internationals.

Another famous motoring disaster was the Ford Zephyr/Zodiac mark IV, aka the Dagenham Duck so called because it floated around corners usually into the nearest ditch. It's large bonnet, which also housed the spare wheel made it top heavy, so unless you had arms like Garth it was a struggle especially on wet roads to keep it on the road

Just after marrying Mrs.Joe and being strapped for cash , I bought an old one for £70 .

The engine was very sluggish so one Sunday afternoon I poured in a de-coking fluid , left it in overnight and started it up next morning around 10 am and drove away . In doing so it emitted a pall of black , greasy smoke which covered half of High Storrs .

This coincided with the time when many ladies in the area were hanging out their washing , which was the tradition on a Monday back then .

To say that this event did little to endear ourselves to our new neighbours would be an understatement of some magnitude .

Saw the Damned at the Lyceum (1982?) years after it had closed as a theatre.

They'd ripped out all the seats and put a sloping plastic floor covering in, to cope with beer, sweat, spit and worse.

One of the best gigs I ever attended to be honest.

I saw Joe Cocker there in similar circumstances . I don't remember the plastic floor but I do remember there were crush barriers such as you'd find in a football ground in place of the seats .

Joe was obviously delighted to be performing back in his hometown and put on a great show , steeped in nostalgia for those of us who new him from his Vance Arnold and the Avengers days in the early '60's .

I saw Joe Cocker there in similar circumstances . I don't remember the plastic floor but I do remember there were crush barriers such as you'd find in a football ground in place of the seats .

Joe was obviously delighted to be performing back in his hometown and put on a great show , steeped in nostalgia for those of us who new him from his Vance Arnold and the Avengers days in the early '60's .
To help your reminiscing Joe Cocker 60.s on the cusp.jpgVance Arnold & The Avengers(Joe Cocker).jpgJoe Cocker with Mum.jpg

Waiting with bated breath here for Cerberus B to return with the answer to the Figtree Lane car conundrum. I've had a look myself, based on his thoughts, to no avail but what I did encounter was a 1958 Ford Fairlane Retractable, as shown. Being a 'no more than passing interest' person on cars this vehicle 'boggled' my mind. Reight colors thoughView attachment 82398

Amazing bit of kit that! So the "retractable" hood must have been around for longer than I thought. I associate that feature more with modern day top-end marques. These days it's possible to retract the hood whilst still on the move, although I think the recommendation is not above 20 mph. I'm not sure I'd want to risk it though if I had Petunia in the car with me. Her long hair could easily get trapped in the mechanism as the hood is retracting and she'd end up dragged from her seat and dumped in the boot. Then again... 🤔

The rear end of that car reminded me of this...

1591849478285.png

Anyone remember these cars? They were a few around in the U.K. during the '60's. Here's another view...

1591849557309.png

Originally called the Nash Metropolitan and sold mainly in the US market, they came to the U.K. from 1957 onwards, sold as the "Austin Metropolitan". They didn't last long, but I remember seeing them on a few occasions when I was a kid. Right-hand drive models of course, like the one below.

1591850162635.png

I'm not a car-buff btw. But I do enjoy seeing pictures of cars and other vehicles that remind me of the bygone days of my childhood. Somehow I think cars were more individual and interesting back then.

(Austin A40 to the left in white. MG Magnette behind it, in black. Not sure what the pale blue one is? Could be a Triumph Herald?)

Last edited:

It's great to see these old photo's. Can you believe it, but my Dad is in this photo on Surrey Street! You're probably thinking "is it the bloke just to the left of the picture with the blue jacket on?" and my answer to that is "No". It is the person crossing the road with the red shopping bag over the arm. That's right, my Dad was one of the early cross-dressing, trans-gender pioneers! Frowned upon back in the day, but soon to be compulsory here! 😉

I attended that gig. Hazy recollection of Captain Sensible stripping naked, or my mind playing tricks on me!

Anti Nowhere League supported.

I don't remember the Captain being naked but I remember an encore of Pretty Vacant when they all switched instruments. Then White Riot and they did it again.

Re the sloping floor, it would have been the original I suppose as they did the absolute minimum structurally, to re-open on the cheap.

Amazing really that our progressive forward thinking' council didn't just bulldoze this lovely old building in the interests of 'progress'.

Amazing bit of kit that! So the "retractable" hood must have been around for longer than I thought. I associate that feature more with modern day top-end marques. These days it's possible to retract the hood whilst still on the move, although I think the recommendation is not above 20 mph. I'm not sure I'd want to risk it though if I had Petunia in the car with me. Her long hair could easily get trapped in the mechanism as the hood is retracting and she'd end up dragged from her seat and dumped in the boot. Then again... 🤔

The rear end of that car reminded me of this...

View attachment 82461

Anyone remember these cars? They were a few around in the U.K. during the '60's. Here's another view...

View attachment 82462

Originally called the Nash Metropolitan and sold mainly in the US market, they came to the U.K. from 1957 onwards, sold as the "Austin Metropolitan". They didn't last long, but I remember seeing them on a few occasions when I was a kid. Right-hand drive models of course, like the one below.

View attachment 82463

I'm not a car-buff btw. But I do enjoy seeing pictures of cars and other vehicles that remind me of the bygone days of my childhood. Somehow I think cars were more individual and interesting back then.

(Austin A40 to the left in white. MG Magnette behind it, in black. Not sure what the pale blue one is? Could be a Triumph Herald?)

Pale blue car is a Vauxhall Viva HA

Back
Top Bottom