Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Anyone interested should read this

View attachment 78813

I was very fortunate, in my first job, meeting a very elderly solicitor mentioned in that book, Arthur Ashton, who told many tales about him defending various Mooney Gang members including the “worst case of attempted suicide ever seen” :) . Piqued my interest coming from S2, Park Brigade territory where stories of the local “cellar grate gang” were still told years later. Sgt Loxleys - a bit of a tasty fellow not averse to using his fists feet head and anything else that came to hand, according to MR A -grandson Was/is a partner at Irwin Mitchell.

Just the Moss Brook, The George, and the Rose & Crown remain of those you have listed, Trev. Even those are struggling to make anything. I don't live far from the 'West End', and stubbornly refuse to use the shop. The Butchers Arms at Marsh Lane is also now closed, with a housing development taking shape up there.
Interesting! Of course they're all closed at the moment, but the Moss Brook probably has the best chance of survival because for years now it's been some sort of chain restaurant. I had a meal there about 2 years ago - not great tbh! But the rest of the family thought it was marvellous - which is why we ended up going there I suppose. It used be a very nice pub, the best in Eckington, back in the 1970's. The landlord, a rather eccentric chap called Ken Keane, kept a good house and even though it was Whitbread's beer it was a very nice pub to sit inside or out.

The George must have benefited from the closure of the Royal, more or less opposite, I imagine? It's that long since I went in there I can't even remember what it was like, but I didn't rush back that's for sure. I'm glad the Rose & Crown is still going at least. As for the Butcher's Arms at Marsh Lane, that place has opened and closed more times than I've had hot dinners. It was under new ownership about 18 months ago, that's when I last went in there. They were advertising Drone Valley beer on signs outside, so I thought, "heyup! real ale pub!", but it didn't last long before it shut down again.

There used to be another pub on Lightwood called The George - I think that shut years ago as well. The Dev at Middle Handley, once the best pint of hand-pulled Stones for miles around, is now an upmarket restaurant I hear? And in the opposite direction, The BlackaMoor Inn (reincarnated unsuccessfully as The Inn at Troway) is shut. I don't know about the Gate Inn at Troway, but somehow I can't imagine that still being open as there's nothing much at Troway to remain open for - I mean, it was never exactly "Vegas" but it's even more dead than ever now - and it's not on any bus route either. The only others, roughly in that area that are still open that I can think of are, The Travellers at Apperknowle and the Miner's at Hundall.

Changing times of course. Some good memories there though - but such times will never be again.

Interesting! Of course they're all closed at the moment, but the Moss Brook probably has the best chance of survival because for years now it's been some sort of chain restaurant. I had a meal there about 2 years ago - not great tbh! But the rest of the family thought it was marvellous - which is why we ended up going there I suppose. It used be a very nice pub, the best in Eckington, back in the 1970's. The landlord, a rather eccentric chap called Ken Keane, kept a good house and even though it was Whitbread's beer it was a very nice pub to sit inside or out.

The George must have benefited from the closure of the Royal, more or less opposite, I imagine? It's that long since I went in there I can't even remember what it was like, but I didn't rush back that's for sure. I'm glad the Rose & Crown is still going at least. As for the Butcher's Arms at Marsh Lane, that place has opened and closed more times than I've had hot dinners. It was under new ownership about 18 months ago, that's when I last went in there. They were advertising Drone Valley beer on signs outside, so I thought, "heyup! real ale pub!", but it didn't last long before it shut down again.

There used to be another pub on Lightwood called The George - I think that shut years ago as well. The Dev at Middle Handley, once the best pint of hand-pulled Stones for miles around, is now an upmarket restaurant I hear? And in the opposite direction, The BlackaMoor Inn (reincarnated unsuccessfully as The Inn at Troway) is shut. I don't know about the Gate Inn at Troway, but somehow I can't imagine that still being open as there's nothing much at Troway to remain open for - I mean, it was never exactly "Vegas" but it's even more dead than ever now - and it's not on any bus route either. The only others, roughly in that area that are still open that I can think of are, The Travellers at Apperknowle and the Miner's at Hundall.

Changing times of course. Some good memories there though - but such times will never be again.
The Dev in Middle Handley was indeed a truly outstanding pint of Stones, there was non better - can you recall the name of the landlord (mid 1980’s) ?

Wilfred and Lawrence Fowler were hung for the murder of a man named William Plommer, ex forces, not a policeman. The Fowler’s led a gang of thugs and Wilfred and another man had both been beaten in fights by Plommer and his friend. A gang went to Plommers house and beat and stabbed him to death in the street outside.

The Fowler’s were members of Sam Garvins “Park Brigade”.
From my memory of reading the book Sam Garvin hopped on a tram to get away from the scene , went in a pub ( The Big Gun?) and thumped a bloke in order to give him some sort of alibi.

I feel sure The Travellers and The Miners are still open (well not at the moment) and there is also the Fox and Hounds at Marsh Lane. There was another pub in Apperknowle called (I think) the Yellow Tiger and on the road between Nether Handley and Marsh Lane there was another pub on the left hand side, but for the life of me I can 't remember the name. I think the Gate Inn is still open but it is well off the beaten track and can't think how it gets any trade. I came across it years ago in one of our regular Saturday night jaunts into Derbyshire when there was an extra half hour drinking from the closing times in Sheffield. Old Harow to the Phoenix at Ridgeway was a favourite.

I feel sure The Travellers and The Miners are still open (well not at the moment) and there is also the Fox and Hounds at Marsh Lane. There was another pub in Apperknowle called (I think) the Yellow Tiger and on the road between Nether Handley and Marsh Lane there was another pub on the left hand side, but for the life of me I can 't remember the name. I think the Gate Inn is still open but it is well off the beaten track and can't think how it gets any trade. I came across it years ago in one of our regular Saturday night jaunts into Derbyshire when there was an extra half hour drinking from the closing times in Sheffield. Old Harow to the Phoenix at Ridgeway was a favourite.

Yellow Lion (?)

From my memory of reading the book Sam Garvin hopped on a tram to get away from the scene , went in a pub ( The Big Gun?) and thumped a bloke in order to give him some sort of alibi.
I think that's about right, I believe the murder occurred around Princess Street at Norfolk Bridge area, I think the pub was the Bull and Oak

There’s a thread on Sheffield Forum about it. It’s a bit hard work at times as I think quite a few of the posters were elderly but there are some interesting bits in it.

The Dev in Middle Handley was indeed a truly outstanding pint of Stones, there was non better - can you recall the name of the landlord (mid 1980’s) ?
Tom... (surname escapes me) Elliott? Knew him well though and his daughter Lisa even better! ;)

Before him it was always known locally as “Marples” the surname of the long-standing previous landlord).

I’ve spent many a summers evening in the little beer garden out the back, beneath the spreading chestnut tree, with a handful of beautiful blond. The beer that is. Not Lisa. She was definitely a brunette!

My old stomping ground the old harrow and we did the same going on to the Phoenix for the extra half hour on a side note was in the gate at trowey just before the pubs closed brings back fond memories from the 80,s don't know if my minds playing tricks but didn't the fairways also have the extra half hour ⚔

My old stomping ground the old harrow and we did the same going on to the Phoenix for the extra half hour on a side note was in the gate at trowey just before the pubs closed brings back fond memories from the 80,s don't know if my minds playing tricks but didn't the fairways also have the extra half hour ⚔
Not sure about the Fairway. Always thought that was in Sheffield, but the Yorkshire/Derbyshire border has changed a lot in that area over the years.

Sheffield licencing laws were archaic. 10.30pm as I remember every night. Most parts of the country would allow 11.00pm on Friday and Saturday.

I went up to York in early 1980 and it was 11.00pm every night and they even had night clubs open on a Sunday.

Historic city with 20th century licencing laws unlike Sheffield.

That is very kind, and particularly appreciated as it is from the person who created this thread. My recollection is probably coloured by the legendary status the Duncan Edwards achieved. He was still only 18 for that match at the Lane, and was the youngest player to have won an England cap. I think I saw him 3 times on TV - England v Brasil (when Grainger made his debut for England in 1956), England v Scotland (not sure when), and the 1957 Cup Final. I guess I had seen him at the cinema on the Pathe news playing for England before the match at the Lane, and the excitement to see him in real life was very much in the air. He had terrific presence, even at 18 he could dominate midfield. The only match I wasn't aware of him was the 1957 Cup Final, because the drama didn't centre on him that day.
The Munich disaster was the first time I was affected by death, at the age of 10. My grandparents were still alive and kicking, and the death of those footballers really affected me. Edwards survived 2 weeks, and I was pestering my dad all the time for his view on whether he would survive. It again deeply affected me when he died. So my view of Edwards the player is no doubt influenced by all the legendary status resulting from his story. Matt Busby's autobiography was re-published quite soon after, with an added chapter on Munich. I reckon my reading comprehension benefited enormously from my totally absorbed reading of the book. When Busby came round in hospital, the first person he asked about was Duncan Edwards; he gave the impression that his death was the one he felt most keenly.
Certainly caught the mood of that time and how it gripped the population. My situation and background at that time was almost identical to yours, albeit I was fifteen.
I can remember where I was and who told me of Munich, followed by a surreal numbness that dwelt inside me for a couple of days until I finally got my head around what had happened. Even then it consumed a fair amount of my thought time for quite a while and of course was well discussed at school, even by none football followers.
I didn't see the 10th Sept game In which 'Big'Dunc' played at the Lane. Remember well Grainger's England debut, as I have stated before on the Forum. However went to OT on 20th April 1957, this was the aura the team had to capture the English football supporters, Blades at Middlesbrough. We saw 'The Babes' beat a Len Shackleton Sunderland 4-0. Whelan 2, Edwards and Taylor. Memories of the day were, lovely sunny day, some boredom, can only think the game was so one sided and standing, centre line near the front the pitch level was same as my eye level. Remember thinking what a bloody daft idea that was. I had the programme for many years but it disappeared, together with some decent stamps when I was out of Sheffield for several years.

Poly needs a wesh by looks of it and it was less than ten years old at the time!
Buildings used to get filthy in those days. Remember St Mary’s church before they cleaned it?

Sheffield licencing laws were archaic. 10.30pm as I remember every night. Most parts of the country would allow 11.00pm on Friday and Saturday.

I went up to York in early 1980 and it was 11.00pm every night and they even had night clubs open on a Sunday.

Historic city with 20th century licencing laws unlike Sheffield.

I thought it was driven by them opening earlier to slake the thirst of steelworkers coming off shift.

I worked for Whitbread and remember Ken Keane and II can only descrobe him as a Gentleman

Good friend of mine and many other Blades (some on here) owns it now and its very good ,Unfortunately hes a pig ,but avery nice bloke.

Yes, John is a good bloke, despite his pig allegiance. He has put a lot of time and money into the Dev, and hopefully they will get through this current shitstorm.

Certainly caught the mood of that time and how it gripped the population. My situation and background at that time was almost identical to yours, albeit I was fifteen.
I can remember where I was and who told me of Munich, followed by a surreal numbness that dwelt inside me for a couple of days until I finally got my head around what had happened. Even then it consumed a fair amount of my thought time for quite a while and of course was well discussed at school, even by none football followers.
I didn't see the 10th Sept game In which 'Big'Dunc' played at the Lane. Remember well Grainger's England debut, as I have stated before on the Forum. However went to OT on 20th April 1957, this was the aura the team had to capture the English football supporters, Blades at Middlesbrough. We saw 'The Babes' beat a Len Shackleton Sunderland 4-0. Whelan 2, Edwards and Taylor. Memories of the day were, lovely sunny day, some boredom, can only think the game was so one sided and standing, centre line near the front the pitch level was same as my eye level. Remember thinking what a bloody daft idea that was. I had the programme for many years but it disappeared, together with some decent stamps when I was out of Sheffield for several years.
I think you probably had a good deal going to Old Trafford in April 1957. I liked that Sunderland side (Shackleton, Stan Anderson, Charlie Hurley, etc.), and I went to Middlesbrough, where Utd lost 3-1. I have absolutely no memory of the game. Pictures of the programme below, including a nice piece on Jimmy Hagan.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

FA Cup 5th Round tie on Saturday 15th February 1936 Sheffield United v Leeds United the significance of this picture is that depicts the record attendance at Bramall Lane for a soccer match.
For the record the Blades won 1-0. The Blades were in the old Second Division and went on to reach the FA Cup Final losing 1-0 to Arsenal. 95616685_707361010011864_4601224972742950912_n.jpg

I worked for Whitbread and remember Ken Keane and II can only descrobe him as a Gentleman
Yes he was, undoubtedly. One of the old school. Blazer, cravat, manners, standards. The place was immaculate when he ran it and it was never the same since.

FA Cup 5th Round tie on Saturday 15th February 1936 Sheffield United v Leeds United the significance of this picture is that depicts the record attendance at Bramall Lane for a soccer match.
For the record the Blades won 1-0. The Blades were in the old Second Division and went on to reach the FA Cup Final losing 1-0 to Arsenal. View attachment 78931
That's an amazing picture. Wow!

Back
Top Bottom