Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This was during the last lock down as well, which makes it even more incredible!

All very interesting stuff....
So the photo I posted above is the" top alley" from Hartshead to Angel St...(I've just dug out my original notes which confirm this, as does this reverse view from Mar 1988.)
View attachment 77758

And the "bottom alley", at the side of the cinema, where, as ST said, we used to queue, must be this one below, taken in Mar 1988. I think it's no longer there but I haven't been down that way for a long time. Sorry about the darkness...View attachment 77759
I guess what threw me was your comment about the Halifax. I suppose the branch shown in my original "top alley" shot was a later branch.
Anyway, as you say, this entire thread is great.
On top of that, I'm glad your memories of this place were sweet...:)
Oh, finally a general shot from the same year, showing the area...View attachment 77760
Ah the old co-op. Memorable for going there to have my eye tests and for visiting Santa’s grotto.

Always remember the stairs in there had a glittery look about them.

Dixon Lane I think
Whilst Big Ada's stall was at the top of Dixon Lane, at the bottom end near to the Rag and Tag entrance stood a character who I think was called "Little Henry" who sold a toy called a bouncing Micky or Minnie, depending if you were a boy or girl.
A well told story is that Little Henry frequented a pub nicknamed the Cowshed, which pub on Dixon Lane I am not sure, but he used to order his beer and the Landlord used to place his glass on the bar in such a position that Henry couldn't reach it, then him and all the customer's would have great amusement watching poor old Henry try to reach his beer

Went to the Induz a few times, down those stairs.
Back in the good old days what you had to remember if doing a runner is, 1. Look sharp up them stairs 2. Don't be mob handed as the last one out, if caught may end up in the next days curry. Happy days. I think it was a snooker hall previously

Whilst Big Ada's stall was at the top of Dixon Lane, at the bottom end near to the Rag and Tag entrance stood a character who I think was called "Little Henry" who sold a toy called a bouncing Micky or Minnie, depending if you were a boy or girl.
A well told story is that Little Henry frequented a pub nicknamed the Cowshed, which pub on Dixon Lane I am not sure, but he used to order his beer and the Landlord used to place his glass on the bar in such a position that Henry couldn't reach it, then him and all the customer's would have great amusement watching poor old Henry try to reach his beer
Cowshed was under the market hall just round the corner from bottom of Dixon Lane on Castle Folds. Reputed to have had (not old enough to drink) spittoons and sawdust on the floor when it closed for demolition. Can't for the life of me remember it's proper name. If there was any pub you wanted to go in and never did, that would be mine.
Title for a new thread there, well it is unusual times, "I'll get mi coyt as sombody sez"

Cowshed was under the market hall just round the corner from bottom of Dixon Lane on Castle Folds. Reputed to have had (not old enough to drink) spittoons and sawdust on the floor when it closed for demolition. Can't for the life of me remember it's proper name. If there was any pub you wanted to go in and never did, that would be mine.
Title for a new thread there, well it is unusual times, "I'll get mi coyt as sombody sez"

Lol on the left of his families stall according to the person who supplied this photo.
View attachment 77809
Yes could well be, I think I remember him being a scaffolder. When we were very young we were playing at the bottom of Thornborough Road when a big Jag pulled up,, the occupants were four large gentlemen with squashed noses, the window wound down and one said does Lol Knight live around here, as one we all yelled no mister and ran for our lives

Reactions: LSF
Yes could well be, I think I remember him being a scaffolder. When we were very young we were playing at the bottom of Thornborough Road when a big Jag pulled up,, the occupants were four large gentlemen with squashed noses, the window wound down and one said does Lol Knight live around here, as one we all yelled no mister and ran for our lives
[/
Lols son Dave was a scaffolder and his grandson also called Dave is a scaffolder.
QUOTE]

Back in the good old days what you had to remember if doing a runner is, 1. Look sharp up them stairs 2. Don't be mob handed as the last one out, if caught may end up in the next days curry. Happy days. I think it was a snooker hall previously

You could also do a 'runner' through the fire door and straight on to Jew Lane.

Problems could arise if any of the kitchen staff were out the back having a fag.

When I use to ball inn on myrtle rd as my local lol use to be a regular aswell I use to sit with him and old gerald Mullen quite regular,good times.

Tozzing photo, just as I remember it as a kid before it's future incarnations. Satdi mornings, penny on't tram from Mansfield road, cowboy films, Derango Kid, with cartoons, no notion of sitting on the back row them days.

Superman cartoons!

Not sure but I am told in 1825 there was a Navigation Inn in Castle Fields

Not sure but I am told in 1825 there was a Navigation Inn in Castle Fields
I can see your thinking, and mines only supposition but Navigation Inn says canal and the fields of the castle cold have stretched to the canal/ basin area.
The Norfolk Market Hall was built in 1851 with the stretch of road at the back being Castle Folds, hence the wholesale market which stood behind NMH was named Castle Folds Market. The CFM moved to a site on the Parkway when the NMH closed and the Castle Market opened.
Getting back to "Little Henry's" pub. After several hours of thought believe it was called The Vaults or similar. Cannot find mi "pub on every corner" book for any confirmation, someone must remember it, BUGGER it's getting on mi threepennys now.
When did the canal and basin open?

Ah the old co-op. Memorable for going there to have my eye tests and for visiting Santa’s grotto.

Always remember the stairs in there had a glittery look about them.
They certainly did. Here is a picture, but you can't see the glittery concrete. At the left of the photo you can see the light brown, original handrail. The black looking handrail was added later raising the height as, I believe, someone fell over the lower handrail. The whole building, including the spiral staircase, are Grade II listed.
IMG_0334.JPG

They certainly did. Here is a picture, but you can't see the glittery concrete. At the left of the photo you can see the light brown, original handrail. The black looking handrail was added later raising the height as, I believe, someone fell over the lower handrail. The whole building, including the spiral staircase, are Grade II listed.
View attachment 77827
Glittery concrete

A few pics from the roof of Attercliffe Telephone Exchange on Titterton Street, just off Worksop Road.March 1984.
First below, taken over Worksop Rd towards Attercliffe Rd.

View attachment 77507

Below, taken over Leeds Road and ex Brown Bayley site ( then Don Valley Stadium).
View attachment 77508

Below, back towards town.
View attachment 77509

Below, over the old baths.View attachment 77510
How did you get access to there ? I used to contract to BT taking the cashboxes from phone boxes in and out of there.

Didnt he get killed scrapping on a night out while working away in Lowestoft or somehere.

Back
Top Bottom