Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lots going on there. Benny from Crossroads. Bob Carolgees and Spit the Dog. Jeff Lynne?
Sandy from crossroads in the wheelchair Shoey McPhee at the side of the spit the dog , Adam Chance in the crowd

Last edited:

Top Billy Russell scoring one of his 3 goals at Newcastle in the 1961 FA Cup quarters.

2nd top West Ham v Blades September 1975. TC got subbed and replaced by David Irving. TC wasn't happy. It was a match my schoolmate and I were planning to go to all the way from Newbury. We lied in the exeat form that we were going to Newbury all day but we decided to go to Arsenal v Everton because Highbury was much nearer to Paddington Station than Upton Park. We were hoping to be back to school before 8pm but we were late and the Housemaster used his car to look for us. We got grounded for a week

Top Billy Russell scoring one of his 3 goals at Newcastle in the 1961 FA Cup quarters.

2nd top West Ham v Blades September 1975. TC got subbed and replaced by David Irving. TC wasn't happy. It was a match my schoolmate and I were planning to go to all the way from Newbury. We lied in the exeat form that we were going to Newbury all day but we decided to go to Arsenal v Everton because Highbury was much nearer to Paddington Station than Upton Park. We were hoping to be back to school before 8pm but we were late and the Housemaster used his car to look for us. We got grounded for a week
Would I be right in thinking you wouldn't have considered yourself 'grounded' at the time Silent? Maybe 'confined' or 'detained'?
I'm thinking grounded is an American term that has seeped in to our culture, maybe in the 80's/90's via US TV progs?
Could be wrong.

Would I be right in thinking you wouldn't have considered yourself 'grounded' at the time Silent? Maybe 'confined' or 'detained'?
I'm thinking grounded is an American term that has seeped in to our culture, maybe in the 80's/90's via US TV progs?
Could be wrong.
Interesting! Maybe the school didn't use the word grounded? I didn't realise the word wasn't often used in the 1970s.maybe they told us we lose the school privileges for a week. Will ask in a Facebook group that I am in.

Could be wrong.

Grounded - sensible and balanced. Suits Silent to a t :)

Isn’t grounded as in not able to do something a flying term?

Could be wrong.
No, grounded is correct - a fate i suffered numerous times during my hellish years at a Jesuit college. 9 months there was actually worse than the last 9 at Bramall Lane.

No, grounded is correct - a fate i suffered numerous times during my hellish years at a Jesuit college. 9 months there was actually worse than the last 9 at Bramall Lane.
I understand what grounded means.

Was just wondering whether that fate/punishment would have been referred to with that term in the UK, in the 70's?

Billy Russell's first goal, but where's the ball.
Is that Jim Iley no. 6?

Could be wrong.
Quite a number have responded to my question in the Facebook group although some were from a later generation. Some say "grounded" were used, some say "gated" but most from the later generation said this.

Happened upon this artwork - copies of which appeared on certain Sheffield workplace notice boards in the aftermath of a match on 26 December 1979 - whilst rooting through some Blades ephemera. Some element of catharsis involved, for the artist…

IMG_0873.jpeg

L-R. (Back) Toms, McCulloch, Grant, Smith, Bolder, Mellor, Blackhall, Johnson, Honey.
(Front) King, Hornsby, Curran, Charlton, Pickering, Leman, Taylor.

Back
Top Bottom