Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes, I believe your spot on there.
When in my late teens, I had a photo of Hodgy, diving, at full stretch and horizontal, ball in hands, cap on. Anyone got a copy and could put it on here, have mentioned this previous.
On finding this photo, it made me think maybe the diving photo was taken at the same period as memory says he had the same sox on. Red with white turn overs. He seemed to wear that style sox from around 58-59 when the team wore, black/R&W tops and red/R&W tops. Later the team wore, red with 2 white hoops he wore White with 2 red hoops and visa versa. I've always thought it was an idiosyncrasy he had over soxs worn. Anyone know more?View attachment 111117View attachment 111118View attachment 111120View attachment 111121Run cursor over photos and should get match details.
still never heard the reason we played in all white for that game 🤔

Thanks SB, your a gent and not for the first time, might have to give you a prefix, GSB, like in 'Gentleman' John Harris.
Obviously it's in the genes, which brings me round to your Uncle Pete, whom I said I would tell a little of my time working with him.

Pete was a bit of an enigma, until more time was spent with him. I worked with him for roughly two and a half years, so got to know him well, and have no compunction in saying it was a pleasure to have known and worked with him.
Anecdotes none, more happenings.
First met Pete when our carrier left and his gang were getting laid off with two or three other gangs, so site foreman asked their carriers if they wanted to work with us and Pete was the only one who offered. That spoke volumes about Pete, at that time I was 37 and my mate 29 and that made him 50, if born in '29, as I believe he was.
Pete never ate at work and always worked through morning break taking his pint mug of tea, no milk & sugar on the job. Lunchbreak sat in cabin for his pint of tea.
Whilst Working on one site he parked his car, the turquois Hillman, on a road with demolished houses awaiting rebuilds. I noticed one day when I arrived, his car door was just off the latch, not like Pete, so closed it and told him. Some bastard had opened the car and probably tried the others there, but nothing to take and no damage, thought he may have been angry over it, but no, he was quite philosophical about the whole event.
First Christmas with Pete, mate and I, who always had the lunch session on Xmas break up day, didn't think Pete would go with us, age difference mainly, but no, to his credit he endured us for a couple hours.
Remember one morning, Pete told us he had to go to a funeral in the afternoon and Joan and himself hadn't time to organise flowers so knowing my mother had a flower stall in the Castle, asked if I could help. I did and they were highly satisfied with the results, Pete paying my mum the following Saturday on his regular early morning trip to the fish market. What I've just told you may sound pretty standard stuff but the measure of the man was that after that he more than not stopped by to say hello to my mum, whilst on his Saturday shopping trips. She told me that not Pete.
I also understand, as a young man16/17 year old he was knocked off the roof of the shops at London Rd junction with Woodhead Rd. Believe he was top of the ladder when the other bloke slipped. shot down the roof, hit Pete, but by good fortune and the assistance of tram cabling and shop hoardings they both survived. Pete said it rearranged the bridge of his nose and that was why it was the shape it was.
I'll apologise to Pete, now, as he can't refute anything I've misinterpreted, and if so it is not my intention, just the passage of time and the ageing process distorting my view.
Thank you again, as said before always open to info on the Blades and appreciative of it.

still never heard the reason we played in all white for that game 🤔
Confusion, game plan I recon. You know they are a little slow on the uptake, bet they thought they were playing Real Madrid instead of a pub team, it worked.

Thanks SB, your a gent and not for the first time, might have to give you a prefix, GSB, like in 'Gentleman' John Harris.
Obviously it's in the genes, which brings me round to your Uncle Pete, whom I said I would tell a little of my time working with him.

Pete was a bit of an enigma, until more time was spent with him. I worked with him for roughly two and a half years, so got to know him well, and have no compunction in saying it was a pleasure to have known and worked with him.
Anecdotes none, more happenings.
First met Pete when our carrier left and his gang were getting laid off with two or three other gangs, so site foreman asked their carriers if they wanted to work with us and Pete was the only one who offered. That spoke volumes about Pete, at that time I was 37 and my mate 29 and that made him 50, if born in '29, as I believe he was.
Pete never ate at work and always worked through morning break taking his pint mug of tea, no milk & sugar on the job. Lunchbreak sat in cabin for his pint of tea.
Whilst Working on one site he parked his car, the turquois Hillman, on a road with demolished houses awaiting rebuilds. I noticed one day when I arrived, his car door was just off the latch, not like Pete, so closed it and told him. Some bastard had opened the car and probably tried the others there, but nothing to take and no damage, thought he may have been angry over it, but no, he was quite philosophical about the whole event.
First Christmas with Pete, mate and I, who always had the lunch session on Xmas break up day, didn't think Pete would go with us, age difference mainly, but no, to his credit he endured us for a couple hours.
Remember one morning, Pete told us he had to go to a funeral in the afternoon and Joan and himself hadn't time to organise flowers so knowing my mother had a flower stall in the Castle, asked if I could help. I did and they were highly satisfied with the results, Pete paying my mum the following Saturday on his regular early morning trip to the fish market. What I've just told you may sound pretty standard stuff but the measure of the man was that after that he more than not stopped by to say hello to my mum, whilst on his Saturday shopping trips. She told me that not Pete.
I also understand, as a young man16/17 year old he was knocked off the roof of the shops at London Rd junction with Woodhead Rd. Believe he was top of the ladder when the other bloke slipped. shot down the roof, hit Pete, but by good fortune and the assistance of tram cabling and shop hoardings they both survived. Pete said it rearranged the bridge of his nose and that was why it was the shape it was.
I'll apologise to Pete, now, as he can't refute anything I've misinterpreted, and if so it is not my intention, just the passage of time and the ageing process distorting my view.
Thank you again, as said before always open to info on the Blades and appreciative of it.
That is lovely, thank you, will copy what you had said and will send it to my mum and sister. Pete was born in March 1927. Wasnt aware of the accident he had and you are right about his nose.

That is lovely, thank you, will copy what you had said and will send it to my mum and sister. Pete was born in March 1927. Wasnt aware of the accident he had and you are right about his nose.
Pleasure SB, Pete was a top bloke, in my top 5 of, "who would you want with you in the trenches", but having said that you'd better be in the right otherwise he'd tell you straight and leave you to it. What more could one ask for, always knew where you stood with Peter, no grey areas.
1927, getting mixed up with my avatar, so Pete would be 52 when he came to work with us, using all his experience and expertise to keep us earning good money.
Remember him having a Hernia. Despite struggling over a period of time he soldiered on till one day he had to stop with the hod full and couldn't move I jumped down and took the hod off him. Got himself mended and came back but the details are a little misty due to time.
Eventually I left and my mate moved into site management taking Pete with him as a general site operative this took much of the physicality out of his work. Nice touch by my old mate, in return he got reliability with a no nonsense approach, allowing Pete a reasonably comfortable run to retirement.

Pleasure SB, Pete was a top bloke, in my top 5 of, "who would you want with you in the trenches", but having said that you'd better be in the right otherwise he'd tell you straight and leave you to it. What more could one ask for, always knew where you stood with Peter, no grey areas.
1927, getting mixed up with my avatar, so Pete would be 52 when he came to work with us, using all his experience and expertise to keep us earning good money.
Remember him having a Hernia. Despite struggling over a period of time he soldiered on till one day he had to stop with the hod full and couldn't move I jumped down and took the hod off him. Got himself mended and came back but the details are a little misty due to time.
Eventually I left and my mate moved into site management taking Pete with him as a general site operative this took much of the physicality out of his work. Nice touch by my old mate, in return he got reliability with a no nonsense approach, allowing Pete a reasonably comfortable run to retirement.
He had heart trouble after coming back from Wendy's 2nd leg League Cup semi final win against Chelsea in January 1991 (he was nearly 64) had the bypass op not long after. Not sure if he had already retired from work by then.

This was the tram terminus at the bottom of Chantrey Road in Woodseats. Taken in the 1900s I think, before the bank was built on the corner.

View attachment 111385
Bet that's you with the Eaton collar. :rolleyes:
Have you ever noticed the Woodseats, as now, isn't parallel to the road, presumably there has been some road straightening at some time. It looks fairly parallel in your photo, or is it?

Bet that's you with the Eaton collar. :rolleyes:
Have you ever noticed the Woodseats, as now, isn't parallel to the road, presumably there has been some road straightening at some time. It looks fairly parallel in your photo, or is it?
Hard to tell but I think it is at an angle, as you say. No longer a pub is it?

I just googled Eton collars. Apparently they were popular with parents in Edwardian times cos they thought it made their lads look respectable. 🤔

Hard to tell but I think it is at an angle, as you say. No longer a pub is it?
I didn't know that, sad but that's how life is changing, been in a few times, long time ago, more times Chantry and a lot more times Big Tree, transiting from work off my beaten track really.

I just googled Eton collars. Apparently they were popular with parents in Edwardian times cos they thought it made their lads look respectable. 🤔
Old photos are fascinating, like the way, folk but mainly kids congregate to get in the picture.
Must have been quite an event, akin to the Punch and Judy turning up in the park in my day. Nobody knew it was coming but by the time they had set up, the jungle telegraph had operated and 30-50 kids were there.
Probably the same with the photographers in pre WW1 days, with more often than not a lad or lads in a EC, even in the poorer areas.

One for Bert - the back page of the 1961 Cup Final programme:
View attachment 112141
Bert was reading the other day that Greaves once scored 7 in a game for Chelsea Youth Team.
Ted Drake congratulated him and told him that he'd remember it for the rest of his life.

Next game Greaves scored 8 😁

Bert was reading the other day that Greaves once scored 7 in a game for Chelsea Youth Team.
Ted Drake congratulated him and told him that he'd remember it for the rest of his life.

Next game Greaves scored 8 😁
I now regret the fact that I never liked Bovril!

Back
Top Bottom